India is a country known for its diversity in its culture and its tradition and the people of it speak and writes a variety of languages to communicate with each other where Tamil and Hindi is determined as the most known Indian language. Their language in common belongs to different linguistic families of the country.
Tamil vs Hindi
The difference between Tamil and Hindi is the scripts they are derived from. Tamil is written and derived from its own distinctive script, Tamil Script. As against, Hindi is written from Devanagari Script and is derived from the Sanskrit language.
Tamil is derived from the Dravidian language family written in Tamil scripts. It is one of the four Dravidian languages along with Telegu, Malayalam, and Kannada. It is the oldest of all Dravidian languages. This language witnesses it’s existence for more than 2000 years making it the oldest and longest surviving classical language in the world.
Hindi is considered one of the official languages of India and is taught in many areas of the country. Generally, Hindi spoke by the people of the central and northern region of the country as the first language. It is allocated under the Indo-European linguistic family and further classified into the central family, khamboli, and Indo-Aryans.
Comparison Table Between Tamil and Hindi
|Parameters of Comparison||Tamil||Hindi|
|Definition||Tamil is a Dravidian language spoken by Tamils in southern India, Sri Lanka, and elsewhere.||Hindi is an Indic language of northern India that derived from Sanskrit and written in the Devanagari script.|
|Country||The Tamil language is spoken widely in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, South Africa, India, and Mauritius.||Hindi is widely spoken and written by the people of India and Fiji.|
|Origin||Tamil was originated from Proto-Dravidian in 450BCE.||Hindi was originated from the Indo-Aryans linguistic Family in the 17th century CE.|
|Scripts||Tamil is written in ancient Tamil Scripts.||Hindi is written in ancient Devanagari Scripts.|
|Derivation||Tamil is derived from the Dravidian language family.||Hindi has derived from the early Vedic Sanskrit language.|
What is Tamil?
Tamil is the oldest classical language in the world being written in its own distinctive script and is derived from the Dravidian language family. It is the official language of Sri Lanka, Singapore and it has significant members of speakers in India, Malaysia. Mauritius and South Africa.
In India, Tamil is spoken by the people of Tamil Nadu, and an Indian union Territory, Pondichery. It is also considered the official language of Pondichery and Tamil Nadu. it is also considered as the first language to be given the status of classical language. In addition, Tamil also refers to the culture and tradition of people who speak the Tamil language.
For the first time, Tamil writing evolved from the Brahmi scripts in the 16th century CE when printing introduced. It also incorporated its alphabets from grantha letters. According to Bhadriraju Krishnamurti, Tamil is derived from the proto-Dravidian language family. Around the third millennium BC, it was believed that the proto Dravidian language was spoken in the region of the lower Godavari basin in peninsular India.
The earliest epigraphic attestation of Tamil is believed to have been written in the 2nd century BC. Scholars of lexical and grammatical change categorized the attested history of Tamil into three periods-
- The Old Tamil( 450 BCE to 700 CE)
- The Middle Tamil( 700 CE to 1600)
- The Modern Tamil( 1600 to present)
What is Hindi?
Hindi is an Indic language of India. It was derived from Sanskrit and written in the Devanagari Scripts. According to a recent analysis, more than 250 million people speak this language all around the world making it the fourth most widely spoken language.
Hindi is one of the official languages of India and is widely spoken by the people of the central and northern parts of India. It is classified under the Indo-European linguistic families, which is further classified into western Hindi, standard Hindi, Hindustani, central family, khamboli, Indi-Aryans, etc. It was traditionally written in the ancient Devanagari scripts.
The history of the said language is categorized into four different periods of history.
- Firstly, the middle Indo-Aryans to Hindi which emerged in the 7th century CE in the early Vedic Sanskrit.
- Secondly, The Dialects, which came around the 12th and the 13th century CE. This period witnessed the traces of the Hindi language such as the rendition of Prithviraj Raso in the Braj Bhasha of Braj and many others.
- Thirdly, The Hindustani, in the 18th century, after the arrival of the Islamic administration old Hindi acquired many new words from Arabic and Persian languages.
- Lastly, The Independent India, in 1954, the government of India standardized the grammar as in the basic grammar of modern Hindi and declared Hindi as the official language of India.
Main Differences Between Tamil and Hindi
- Tamil is a Dravidian language spoken by Tamils in southern India, Sri Lanka, and elsewhere. As against, Hindi is an Indic language of northern India that derived from Sanskrit and written in the Devanagari script.
- The Tamil language is spoken widely in Sri Lanka, Malaysia, South Africa, India, and Mauritius. Whereas, Hindi is widely spoken and written by the people of India and Fiji.
- Tamil was originated from Proto-Dravidian in 450BCE. On the other hand, Hindi was originated from the Indo-Aryans linguistic Family in the 17th century CE.
- Tamil is written in ancient Tamil Scripts. As against, Hindi is written in ancient Devanagari Scripts.
- Tamil is derived from the Dravidian language family and Hindi has derived from the early Vedic Sanskrit language.
Both Hindi and Tamil are widely spoken languages in India by Hindu. Both of these languages have their own origin and both express the people’s culture who speaks these languages.
Although Tamil and Hindi have similarities in various aspects such as their people and other meanings, both these languages differ from each other in several ways. Therefore, both Tamil and Hindi have different linguistic family who speaks these languages and has different derivation.