Because of its high access speeds, broadband internet service is truly the most used form of Internet access these days. Broadband Internet networks provide a great improvement over conventional methods of dial-up, with far faster data communication rates.
There are a variety of choices and variations to take into consideration when choosing between internet service providers (ISPs), such as Verizon FiOS and Comcast. When determining which form of Internet service is better for you, keep these variations in mind.
Verizon vs Comcast
The difference between Verizon and Comcast is that they both use very different forms of Internet service. Verizon uses DSL while Comcast uses cable connection due to which Verizon connection depends on the distance between the service provider and the user as well as the number of connections in the route. Hence, Verizon is most of the time, slower as compared to Comcast.
Comparison Table Between Verizon and Comcast
|Parameter of Comparison||Verizon||Comcast|
|Type of Internet service||A Wireless Subscriber Line (DSL) service is used by Verizon, as well as FiOS or fiber-optic service.||Comcast uses a cable connection option.|
|Performance||Verizon gives a slower speed due to the use of DSL which depends on the distance between the user and the service provider.||Faster as compared to Verizon.|
|Email and other tools||Verizon offers 4 GB of storage for each account for nine email addresses, as well as hosting for a personal website, but it doesn’t provide any Internet service.||Comcast allows up to seven separate email addresses, each with 10 GB of dedicated storage space for each email, and comes with McAfee Protection Suite to secure your device from Web browsing.|
|Affordability||It is on a bit expensive side.||It has a variety of options that are highly affordable.|
|Hardware Requirement||It is a bit more complex with Verizon. You can purchase their gateway, but any current WiFi router can still be used by Internet-only users.||At Comcast, a user should buy a cable modem from approved models.|
What is Verizon?
Verizon is one of the world’s leading corporations in the information technology field. On its award-winning networks and channels, the organization provides voice, data, and video solutions and services that meet customer expectations for mobility, reliable and efficient network access, security, and control.
Verizon is best known for:
- The promise of the digital world by improving the ability and efficiency of individuals, society, and businesses.
- Commitment to safeguarding the climate with the help of the reduction in their emissions and investments in renewable energy.
What is Comcast?
Comcast is a technology business and worldwide media with companies that include: NBCUniversal and Comcast Cable. Comcast Cable is one of the main television, high-speed Internet, and telecommunications providers to domestic customers under the XFINITY brand in the United States and also provides their services to the growing businesses as well as established businesses.
It is best known because of its:
- High performance due to the use of advanced technologies and deep research in cable connections.
- Comcast’s affordability and wide range of services it provides to its users with the promise of great services.
Main Differences Between Verizon and Comcast
- A wireless subscriber line (DSL) service is employed by Verizon. Your telephone line is divided by DSL connections so that half of it can be used for data transmission (the Internet) and the other part can be used for voice transmission. On the other hand, Comcast uses a cable link that sends the Internet signal from your cable TV connection.
- DSL links are lower than cable bandwidth and are directly influenced by the gap between your home and the provider of services, as well as the number of connected users. In several cases, this means that Verizon (which uses DSL) is slower than Comcast.
- Verizon includes 4 GB of storage for each account for nine email accounts, as well as hosting a personal website. Comcast has the provision of offering a maximum of seven distinct emails and each comes with a dedicated storage space of 10 GB. It also comes with the McAfee Protection Suite in order to safeguard your system during surfing the Internet.
- Verizon as well as Comcast are not that expensive to use. But, a user has to pay a bit more in the case of Verizon for the same service that Comcast offers in more affordable options.
- For hardware, a user should purchase a cable modem from Comcast from its list of licensed versions. The gateway can be purchased from Verizon but, if there is a case of Internet-users, it is possible to use any kind of WiFi router so as to run a cable of Ethernet that comes from the Optical Network Terminal on the location of the WiFi router. This method can be used in the place of a normal coaxial cable for Internet-only users.
It may be cheaper to use a traditional connection but these are very low in speed as compared to today’s speed and hence most web users are switching to a faster internet broadband connection. In order to select one among the two very top-most providers: Verizon and Comcast, you have to look into the details of the various factors. Many Verizon customers have mentioned that they were able to speak about that to the New York company, but it seems to take some luck.
In order to get better deals via Comcast, you can easily bargain in order to get higher discount rates. This is what makes Comcast really stand out from Verizon. However, it can only work if you are seriously able to convey your message to the representatives.
Also, both Verizon and Comcast would charge $10 a month to rent a home gateway. Hence, if you buy the hardware outright, you do not have to pay that rent. Lastly, if you want to get a higher speed on a remote location, you should go with Comcast but if you are living at a place with proper services, you can go with any of the two according to your preferences.
Table of Contents