Baking has become an important part of the food. And baking a cake is easy yet difficult. It is easy if you are familiar with the technique and ingredients, and it is difficult if you are not familiar.
The most common example would be the mixes. There are two types of mixes used mostly while baking a cake, i.e., white and yellow mixes are similar yet different.
- White cake mixes are made with only egg whites, while yellow cake mixes are made with whole eggs.
- White cake mixes have a lighter, more delicate texture than yellow.
- Yellow cake mixes have a richer flavor than white cake mixes.
White vs Yellow Cake Mixes
White cake mixes include corn starch, and yellow cake mixes are made up of bleached all-purpose flour in case of dry ingredients. In wet ingredients, white cakes contain only egg whites, thus making a thin concoction, while yellow cakes include whole eggs with a thicker batter. Both cake mixes are vanilla flavoured.
White Cake Mix is a white-colored mix mostly used for the base of the cupcake with icing and toppings. It is baked at 370-375 degrees for a maximum of 35 minutes.
Yellow Cake Mix is a yellow-colored mix used; this type of mix is also preferred with any icing or fillings. And like white cake mix, it also has the flavour of vanilla.
|Parameters of Comparison||White Cake Mixes||Yellow Cake Mixes|
|Barer||It is barer||Comparatively less bare|
|Binding Ingredient||Eggs whites||Butter and egg yolks.|
|Type of Flour||All types of flours||Whole-wheat pastry flour|
|Moisture||Comparatively less||More in moisture|
What are White Cake Mixes?
It is a type of cake mix that contains egg white. To make the base of the cake, it is baked at about 370 to 375 degrees for a minimum of 35 minutes or 25 minutes. The following are the few best white cake mixes available:
- Miss Jones Baking Co.’s Ultimate Vanilla Cake Mix
- Pillsbury’s Moist Supreme White Premium Cake Mix
- Duncan Hines’ Classic White Cake Mix
- Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix
Although the white cake mix has no taste and is considered plain, it still compliments all the desserts. Most bakes prefer white cake mix for the base of anything with cream and fillings.
100 grams of white cake mix packet contains 372 calories, 3.7g total fat, 20% sodium, 1% potassium, 27% carbohydrates, and 8% protein.
What are Yellow Cake Mixes?
It is a cake mix containing more egg yolk and less or no egg white. This is also the reason for the yellow color of the cake. It has a vanilla flavour, like white cake mix, and only uses whole–wheat pastry flour. They are:
- It has a richer taste.
- Its texture is very moist.
- It has an exquisite flavour.
- It is easy to cook.
- It has high nutritional value.
100 gram of yellow cake mix packet contains 432 calories, 18% of total fat, 27% sodium, 2 % potassium, 26% total carbohydrates, and 8% proteins.
Compared to any other mix, especially the white cake mix, it tastes better, and the reason behind this could be the presence of butter and egg yolk.
White cake mix can also be used in place of yellow cake mix to make a yellow cake by adding egg yolks and vegetable oil. The cake baked from this will be yellow.
Some of the best yellow cake mixes in the market are:
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix.
- Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix.
- Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix.
Main Differences Between White and Yellow Cake Mixes
- When it comes to baking, it is said that baking a yellow cake mix is comparatively easy than a white cake mix.
- Yellowcake mix has an advantage or upper hand in moisture, taste, and nutritious value and is also enjoyed with any fillings and icings, whereas White cake mix is best known for its barer property and it is used for all types of complex dishes and cupcakes with icing and toppings with fillings.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.