Exercise and yoga are the keys to a healthy lifestyle. Several people practice various yoga asana to stay fit and healthy. Several people also work out and exercise to maintain a fixed diet and balance their weight.
To carry out these actions, people need different types of workout tools. The most important tool is a yoga mat and an exercise mat.
- Yoga mats are thinner and provide more traction, helping practitioners maintain balance during poses.
- Exercise mats are thicker and offer better cushioning for high-impact workouts or floor exercises.
- Select a mat based on your workout type, considering factors like thickness, material, and slip resistance.
Yoga Mat vs Exercise Mat
A yoga mat is thinner and more lightweight than an exercise mat, providing more traction and grip to support various yoga poses. It is designed to be non-slip with a stable and comfortable surface. An exercise mat is thicker and more cushioned than a yoga mat to provide more support and comfort.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
A yoga mat is a thin and flexible fitness mat that is widely used by several yoga enthusiasts across the globe. These mats are available in several different colors, sizes, lengths, thicknesses, etc.
These mats are styled especially for low-intensity workouts. One can exercise or workout on them without wearing sports shoes.
An exercise mat is a thick and stable fitness mat that white a good grip (but comparatively the grip of a yoga mat is better than an exercise and). These mats are quite steady and are 1 inch to 3 inches thick.
They help prevent slipping and avoid any injuries during workout sessions. Exercise mats are designed for high-intensity exercises.
|Parameters Of Comparison||Yoga Mat||Exercise Mat|
|Thickness||The yoga mat has a thickness ranging between ¼ inch to 1 inch.||The thickness of the exercise mat range from 1 inch to 3 inches|
|Length||Yoga mats are comparatively longer than exercise mats.||The length of an exercise mat is quite short.|
|Grip||Yoga mats provide an amazing grip and hence are called “sticky mats”.||Exercise mats don’t provide a strong grip.|
|Cushion||Cushions are present in various/ several yoga mats.||Exercise mats often don’t include cushions in them.|
|Design||Yoga mats are designed for barefoot exercises.||Exercise mats are designed in a way that one can use shoes on them.|
What is Yoga Mat?
Yoga mats are flexible mats that prevent the user’s hands or feet to slip while doing various yoga asana. These mats are not very thick and have a thickness ranging between ¼ inch to 1 inch.
Initially, a yoga mat was called a “sticky mat” that was produced by Angela Farmer in the year 1982. The sticky mat was manufactured using various rubber-like materials.
Yoga mats are made of several raw materials. A few of the raw materials of yoga mats are listed below:
- Vinyl (Poly Vinyl Chloride)
- Synthesized rubber or organic rubber
- Chemicals like chlorine gas and mercury
Yoga mats are manufactured and produced in several different countries like:
- United States
Yoga mats are manufactured in large industries and firms under expert supervision and guidance. These mats go through a series of steps and processes. The following are the steps that help in the production of yoga mats:
- Compounding Materials
- Adjusting Machines
- High-Temperature Foaming
- Cutting Corners
- Embossing/ Texturing
- Graphic Printing
- Logo Marking
- Quality Inspection
Yoga mats are not necessary for yoga asana but they are essential to prevent serious injuries. They help one work out smoothly. Yoga mats have a firm grip.
What is an Exercise Mat?
Exercise mats are steady, stable, and thick mats. These mats have a thickness ranging between 1 inch to 3 inches. An exercise mat has many qualities, characteristics, and traits.
Exercise mats are designed in large factories of famous brands. They range from relatively soft to quite firm. These types of mats are short lengthwise.
Exercise mats come in several shapes and designs. A few of the most famous and popular exercise mats are given below:
- Balance Form Trifold Folding Exercise Mat – Best Overall
- Yoga Cloud Moisture – Resistant Exercise Mat – Runner- Up
- New -Me Exercise Mat – Honorable Mention
- Gaiam Essentials Thick Exercise Mat – Also Consider
- Sunny Health And Fitness Gymnastics Exercise Mat
- We Sell Mats Personal Fitness and Exercise Mat
- Pro source Trifold Folding Thick Exercise Mat
- Weigh Extra Thick Foam Exercise Mat
- Top Exercise Mat
- Premium Large Exercise Mat
Exercise mats have a quite firm grip. These mats help provide a soft and comfortable surface to workout on. They help prevent serious injuries or wounds while working out.
Exercise mats are manufactured in various/ several countries. A few of these countries are listed below:
- United States Of America
- United Kingdom
- United States Of Arab
Main Differences Between Yoga Mat and Exercise Mat
- A yoga mat has cushiony layering while on the other hand, an exercise mat doesn’t have a cushiony covering.
- A yoga mat has a very strong grip while on the other hand, an exercise mat doesn’t have an amazing grip (as compared to a yoga mat).
- A yoga mat is a thin and flexible mat while on other hand, an exercise mat is thick and stable.
- A yoga mat is a long mat while on the other hand, an exercise mat is shorter compared to yoga mats.
- A yoga mat is styled and manufactured for low-impact yoga as asana while on the other hand, an exercise mat is designed for intense fitness plans.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.