When it comes to kitchen cooking and fermenting stuff, people get easily confused between differentiating food items and beverages because of their same color and appearances sometimes. Just like that, there is one combo in which often people get confused that is Milk and Buttermilk.
Milk vs Buttermilk
The difference between Milk and Buttermilk is Milk is produced by mammary glands of animals like cabra, buffalos, and cows, and Buttermilk is produced by fermenting Milk and usually, Buttermilk is sour whereas Milk has no subtle taste. . Both Milk and Buttermilk are of the same color and appearance which is a white color and thin textured beverage and that is the reason people get confused.
Comparison Table Between Milk and Buttermilk
|Parámetros de comparación||Leche||Buttermilk|
|Gusto||There is no subtle taste of Milk.||The taste of Buttermilk is sour.|
|Color||The color of the Milk is white.||The color of Buttermilk is pale yellow or white.|
|Ingredientes||Milk has no ingredients added to it.||Butter is added in Buttermilk.|
|gordo||Milk contains more fat compared to Buttermilk.||Buttermilk has less fat compared to Milk.|
|Productor||Milk is produced from any animal mammary gland.||Buttermilk is only produced out of cow’s Milk.|
|Textura||Milk is opaque and less thick in texture compare to Buttermilk.||Buttermilk is thicker as a texture compared to Milk.|
|Utilizada en||Milk is used in the making of the cake, cookies, bread, butter, soups, sauce, chocolate, ice creams, yogurt, etc.||Buttermilk is used in the making of pancakes, biscuits, cornbread, etc.|
¿Qué es la leche?
Milk is full of nutrients that are produced by the mammary glands of animals like goats, cows, buffalos, etc. Milk works as a primary source of food in infants. Milk is known for its nutrients like calcium, protein, lactose, etc.
The normal pH level of Milk is 6.4 to 6.8 which is kept on changing from time to time. Milk contains potassium, calcium, phosphate, sodium, citrate, and cloruro which are known as minerals, and Milk can be called the Full Package of minerals. Even Milk is known as a Full Package of Vitamins since it contains Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamina D, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Biotins, etc.
Types of Milk are –
- Almond Milk: This Milk has a nutty taste and is full of Vitamin E, Magnesium, and Selenium.
- Whole Milk: Usually this Milk refers to full cream Milk.
- Skim Milk: This Milk has fewer calories compared to the whole Milk.
- Oat Milk: This Milk is full of beta-glucans and soluble fiber.
- Low Fat Milk: This Milk is less in fat.
- Soy Milk: This Milk is made out of Soy.
- Coconut Milk: This Milk is made out of Coconuts.
The benefits of Milk are –
- Drinking Milk daily can reduce stress and anxiety.
- Cold Milk can help you soothe out the problem of Acidity.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid is present in Milk which triggers weight loss in the human body.
- The Central Nervous System of the Human Body is protected by Vitaminb12 which is present in a huge amount in Milk.
- To keep skin healthy we need Vitamin A which is present in Milk.
What is Buttermilk?
Buttermilk is observed when fat is deducted from the Milk for making butter. Buttermilk has low calories compare to Milk but has a high quantity of calcium, potassium, and Vitamin B12. Buttermilk also works as a cooling agent for a human being in a warm climate.
Usually, Buttermilk is used in cooking but it can also be consumed directly. People prefer Buttermilk which is refrigerated whereas some people drink it at normal room temperature since it is a cooling agent and it is not necessary to refrigerate every time.
For the marination of porks and chicken, Buttermilk is used because of lactic acid which promotes the tendering process and enhances the flavors with retaining hidratante. Usually, traditional Buttermilk is most preferred compared to acidic and cultured Buttermilk. Traditional Buttermilk is made by the homogenization process, where for while Milk is kept just like that to separate Milk and cream. And naturally, it is fermented because of the occurrence of bacteria that produces lactic acid.
Traditional Buttermilk is observed less in the West and more in Asian Countries like India, Nepal, and Arab. Indian people have a name for Buttermilk which is Chaas, Nepali people have a name for Buttermilk which is Mohi and Arab people call Buttermilk by the name of Leben. Buttermilk is very common for Indian and Nepalis but Lemen in Arab is usually consumed during Ramadan at the time of Suhur and Iftaar.
Types of Buttermilk are-
- Acidic Buttermilk
- Cultured Buttermilk
- Traditional Buttermilk
Benefits of Buttermilk are –
- Drinking Buttermilk is considered a coolant agent for the human body.
- Buttermilk prevents dehydration in the human body.
- Buttermilk is considered to be a good friend for the digestive system of a human being.
- Buttermilk is an excellent source of Calcium which makes bones and teeth stronger.
- Cholesterol levels can be maintained by drinking Buttermilk.
- Buttermilk consists of Potassium which helps reduce high blood pressure.
- Buttermilk is full of vitamins, is good for the skin, and also helps in weight loss.
Main Differences Between Milk and Buttermilk
- Milk is produced through the mammary glands of animals, Buttermilk is made out of fermented Milk.
- Milk has no subtle taste, Buttermilk has a sour taste.
- Milk is a white color, Buttermilk has a pale yellow or whitish color.
- Milk has cream, Buttermilk has no cream.
- No ingredients are added in Milk, Butter is added in Buttermilk.
Milk and Buttermilk both are beverages whereas Milk is sweet and Buttermilk is slightly sour. Milk has more calories compare to Buttermilk. Buttermilk is light to consume compared to Milk. One Cup of Buttermilk has up to 99+ calories whereas One Cup Of Milk has 157 calories.
Buttermilk is easy to digest compared to Milk. Milk doesn’t need to be only obtained from animals. Nowadays, Milk like Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Soy Milk, and even Rice Milk is a kind of Milk which are non-animal Milk.
Tabla de contenido