- Form factor: The Mac Mini is a compact desktop computer that requires an external display, keyboard, and mouse, while the MacBook Air is a lightweight and portable laptop with an integrated display, keyboard, and trackpad.
- Performance: The Mac Mini generally offers higher performance and processing power, making it suitable for tasks that require more computational power. The MacBook Air, while capable of handling everyday tasks, may not offer the same level of performance.
- Portability and upgradability: The MacBook Air is designed for portability, making it ideal for on-the-go usage, while the Mac Mini is stationary. The Mac Mini offers greater upgradability with options to customize components like RAM and storage.
What is Mac Mini?
The Mac Mini is a device Apple Inc. sold as a compact desktop computer. Being an Apple product, its operating system is macOS. It is sold without other components, such as a display, keyboard, or mouse. As a result, it is tiny in size. Users can upgrade the other components depending on their requirements and preferences.
It can be used as a home theater PC or as a server for small businesses. It is popular for its powerful performance and compact size. The Mac Mini is easier to upgrade because it can support more RAM and storage.
It has various ports for connecting external devices such as monitors, USB drives, etc. Its latest model possesses a quad-core or six-core Intel processor, up to 64GB of memory, and up to 2TB of solid-state storage.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Mac mini Apple M1 chip 8GB Memory 256GB SSD MGNR3LL/A (Renewed)||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Apple 2023 Mac Mini M2 Chip / 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage - Z16K000R3||Check Price on Amazon|
The MacBook Air is a line of ultra-thin and lightweight laptops by Apple Inc. It is a thin, light laptop with long battery life and high-end performance. Its screen size depends on the model, but generally, it varies from 11-inch and 13-inch. It is easy to carry and, therefore, highly portable.
Being an Apple product, it functions with the macOS operating system. You will find features like a high-resolution display, touchpad, and backlit keyboard in it. It also has 16GB of RAM and up to 2TB of solid-state storage. The battery can work for up to 18 hours.
Along with the headphone jack, users will get two Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports for connectivity. Even though it is slim, it has a high-resolution Retina display. With this, users get clear and vibrant images.
It is a more affordable option compared to other Apple laptops. Despite that, it offers high performance, and as a result, it is helpful for the everyday needs of professionals and students.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Apple 2023 MacBook Air Laptop with M2 chip: 15.3-inch Liquid Retina Display, 8GB Unified Memory,...||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Apple MacBook Air with Intel Core i5, 1.6GHz, (13-inch, 4GB,128GB SSD) - Silver (Renewed)||Check Price on Amazon|
Difference Between Mac Mini and MacBook Air
- The Mac Mini is a desktop, while the MacBook Air is a laptop.
- The Mac Mini is a compact device and as small as your palm, but the MacBook Air, on the contrary, is more extensive as it has a built-in display, keyboard, and trackpad.
- The Mac Mini omits other components. Therefore, it is less costly than the MacBook Air, which comes with every required part.
- The Mac Mini is regarded to be more powerful than the MacBook Air because the Mac Mini is built with a more efficient processor and more RAM.
- The Mac Mini has more powerful integrated graphics compared to the MacBook Air.
- The MacBook Air has a built-in battery, so its battery life is better than the Mac Mini.
- The Mac Mini has more ports to offer than the MacBook Air. Mac Mini comes with Ethernet, HDMI, and multiple USB ports.
- The MacBook Air has a built-in keyboard and trackpad, but in the case of the Mac Mini, the user needs to buy the parts separately.
Comparison Between Mac Mini and MacBook Air
|Parameter of Comparison||Mac Mini||MacBook Air|
|Type||It is a desktop computer.||It is a laptop computer.|
|Display||It does not come with a display.||It comes with a built-in display.|
|Upgradeability||One can upgrade it easily.||One can not upgrade it easily.|
|Battery||It does not have a built-in battery.||It comes with a built-in battery.|
|Expense||It is less expensive.||It costs more.|
|Keyboard||Users have to get a keyboard separately.||It comes with a built-in keyboard.|
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.