Dogs are one of the most loved creatures. They are adored by most of the people. It is believed that dogs were probably the first animals to be tamed. They have been with human beings for as almost 40,000 years now.
It is well known that some dogs are wild while some are domestic. One common thing between both the wild and the domestic dogs is that they have a common wolf ancestor. Therefore, all dogs are considered to be the sub-species of a wolf.
Two very common species, that are often confused with each other are Akbash and Great Pyrenees. These species are both unique in their own ways. They have different appearances and are of different kinds.
Akbash vs Great Pyrenees
The difference between Akbash and Great Pyrenees is that the Akbash have originated in Turkey and fall under the category of Guard dogs while on the other hand the Great Pyrenees have originated in Spain and fall under the category of Herding dogs.
Comparison Table Between Akbash and Great Pyrenees
|Parameter of Comparison||Akbash||Great Pyrenees|
|Origin Country||Akbash has its origin in Turkey.||Great Pyrenees has its origin in Spain.|
|Origin Date||Akbash is said to be originated in 1000BC.||Great Pyrenees is said to be originated in 3000BC.|
|Category||Akbash falls under the category of Guard Dogs.||Great Pyrenees falls under the category of Herding Dogs.|
|Lifespan||The average lifespan of an Akbash is 10-12 years.||The average lifespan of a Great Pyrenees is 9-11 years.|
|Colours||The various colours of an Akbash are cream, white, and grey||The various colours of a Great Pyrenees are Brindle, White, and Biscuit and Blue Fawn|
|Shedding||An Akbash sheds moderately.||A Great Pyrenees sheds more than an average shed.|
|Social||An Akbash is antisocial.||Great Pyrenees is very social.|
|Personality||The personality of an Akbash is easy-going, which makes it easy for new owners.||The personality of a Great Pyrenees is stubborn, which makes it difficult for new owners.|
|Sleeping pattern||An Akbash sleeps a lot.||Great Pyrenees does not sleep often.|
What is Akbash?
An Akbash is a popular breed of the dogs which has said to be originated in 1000BC. They originated in Turkey. This breed started becoming popular around the 1970s when they were introduced to North America. They were developed to be guardian dogs since they were perfect flock guardians.
An average Akbash weighs somewhere between 41-64kgs. Its average height is between 71-78cm. The lifespan of an Akbash is about 10-12 years. However, if kept well it might live longer. It does not usually have any health issues and is a quite healthy breed. An Akbash is also commonly known as Akbas Coban Kopegi or Coban Kopegi.
What is Great Pyrenees?
Great Pyrenees is one of the most adored species of dogs since it is very beautiful. It is very attractive and easily noticeable because of its white coat. The coat is medium or large and can be straight or wavy. Great Pyrenees can be a solid white, cream or grey in colour.
The average weight of a Great Pyrenees is somewhere between 40 to 54 kgs. Its average height is 70 to 82 cm. It is considered to be an intelligent and strong-headed dog which makes training it a little difficult. However, training is essential because of its huge size.
The Great Pyrenees barks quite frequently. It is one of the best watchdogs because of this reason. It gets along well with children and other pets in the home. It is a very social dog. The average lifespan of a Great Pyrenees is between 9 to 11 years.
Main Differences Between Akbash and Great Pyrenees
- The Akbash has originated in Turkey whereas, on the other hand, the Great Pyrenees has originated in Spain.
- The Akbash originated in the 1000BC while the Great Pyrenees originated in the 3000BC.
- The Akbash belongs to the group of Guard dogs. On the other hand, the Great Pyrenees belongs to the group of Pastoral Dogs or Herding Dogs.
- An Akbash is an antisocial dog whereas the Great Pyrenees is a very social dog.
- An Akbash is not recognized by the American Kennel Club, whereas the Great Pyrenees is recognized by the American Kennel Club as a working breed.
- An Akbash sleeps very often. On the other hand, the Great Pyrenees does not sleep very often.
- An Akbash is very easy-going in nature. This makes it easier for new owners to get along whereas the Great Pyrenees is stubborn in nature. This makes it difficult for the new owners to get along well.
- Akbash sheds moderately whereas, on the other hand, the Great Pyrenees sheds more than the average.
- An Akbash is easy to train whereas the Great Pyrenees is not very easy to train.
- Akbash bark occasionally whereas on the other hand The Great Pyrenees barks frequently.
Dogs are loved and adored by almost everyone around them. A lot of people tend to keep dogs with them because of their loyalty. Dogs are one of the first animals known to have to be tamed. There exist various breeds of dogs. Two of the common breeds are Akbash and Great Pyrenees. They are somewhat similar in appearance but have unique characteristics and a different history.
An Akbash has originated in Turkey in the 1000BC whereas, on the other hand, the Great Pyrenees has originated in Spain in the 3000BC.