Dogs are one of the most loved creatures. Most people adore them.
It is believed that dogs were probably the first animals to be tamed. They have been with human beings for almost 40,000 years now.
Therefore, all dogs are considered to be the sub-species of a wolf. Two common species often confused with each other are the Akbash and Great Pyrenees.
These species are both unique in their ways. They have different appearances and are of different kinds.
- Akbash dogs originate from Turkey, while Great Pyrenees come from France and Spain.
- Great Pyrenees dogs have a thicker, double-layer coat than the single-layer coat of Akbash dogs.
- Akbash dogs work independently, whereas Great Pyrenees prefer group collaboration.
Akbash vs. Great Pyrenees
Akbash is a breed of dog which is gigantic, smart and quiet and white mostly kept in households to keep the livestock especially sheep from the being prey of a predator. It is mostly present in Turkey. Great-Pyrenees in another breed of dog which kept in household as a livestock guardian. They are heavy and muscular dogs.
|Parameter of Comparison||Akbash||Great Pyrenees|
|Origin Country||Akbash has its origin in Turkey.||Great Pyrenees has its origin in Spain.|
|Origin Date||Akbash is said to be originated in 1000BC.||The Great Pyrenees is said to be originated in 3000 BC.|
|Category||Akbash falls under the category of Guard Dogs.||Great Pyrenees falls under the category of Herding Dogs.|
|Lifespan||The average lifespan of an Akbash is 10-12 years.||The average lifespan of a Great Pyrenees is 9-11 years.|
|Colors||The various colors of an Akbash are cream, white, and grey||The various colors of the Great Pyrenees are Brindle, White, and Biscuit and Blue Fawn|
|Shedding||An Akbash sheds moderately.||A Great Pyrenees sheds more than an average shed.|
|Social||An Akbash is antisocial.||Great Pyrenees is very social.|
|Personality||Akbash’s personality is easygoing, making it easy for new owners.||A Great Pyrenees’ personality is stubborn, making it difficult for new owners.|
|Sleeping pattern||An Akbash sleeps a lot.||Great Pyrenees does not sleep often.|
What is Akbash?
An Akbash is a popular breed of dog which has said to be originated in 1000 BC. They originated in Turkey.
This breed started becoming popular around the 1970s when they were introduced to North America. They were developed to be guardian dogs since they were perfect flock guardians.
An average Akbash weighs somewhere between 41-64kgs. Its average height is between 71-78cm. The lifespan of an Akbash is about 10-12 years.
However, if kept well, it might live longer. It does not have any health issues and is quite a healthy breed.
An Akbash is also commonly known as Akbas Coban Kopegi or Coban Kopegi.
What is the Great Pyrenees?
Great Pyrenees is one of the most adored dogs since it is very beautiful. It is very attractive and easily noticeable because of its white coat.
The coat is medium or large and can be straight or wavy. Great Pyrenees can be a solid white, cream, or grey.
A Great Pyrenees’ average weight is between 40 to 54 kgs. Its average height is 70 to 82 cm. It is considered an intelligent and strong-headed dog which makes training it difficult.
However, training is essential because of its huge size. The Great Pyrenees barks quite frequently.
It is one of the best watchdogs because of this reason. It gets along well with children and other pets in the home.
It is a very social dog. The average lifespan of a Great Pyrenees is between 9 to 11 years.
Main Differences Between Akbash and Great Pyrenees
- The Akbash originated in Turkey; on the other hand, the Great Pyrenees originated in Spain.
- The Akbash originated in 1000 BC, while the Great Pyrenees originated in 3000 BC.
- The Akbash belongs to the group of Guard dogs. On the other hand, the Great Pyrenees belongs to the group of Pastoral Dogs or Herding Dogs.
- An Akbash is an antisocial dog, whereas the Great Pyrenees is a very social dog.
- The American Kennel Club does not recognize an Akbash, whereas the American Kennel Club recognizes the Great Pyrenees as a working breed.
- An Akbash sleeps very often. On the other hand, the Great Pyrenees does not sleep very often.
- An Akbash is very easygoing. This makes it easier for new owners to get along, whereas the Great Pyrenees is stubborn. This makes it difficult for the new owners to get along well.
- Akbash sheds moderately, whereas, on the other hand, the Great Pyrenees sheds more than the average.
- An Akbash is easy to train, whereas the Great Pyrenees is not easy.
- Akbash bark occasionally, whereas on the other hand, The Great Pyrenees barks frequently.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.