The dog is a favorite animal of a large number of people for a long time. There are a number of breeds of dogs well known to everyone. But, Border Collie and Australian Shepherd breeds are often confused with one another due to their appearances. One can not differentiate between the two without having knowledge of their characteristics.
Border Collie is a breed which is characterized by a dense and rough coat, energy, shyness, intelligence. They require more attention and care. A Border Collie dog is easy to handle as compared to an Australian Shepherd therefore is more recommended as a pet.
Australian Shepherd is a breed of American origin as a contrast to its name. They are characterized by heterochromia, robustness, smooth coat and alertness. Australian Shepherd is not an easy dog to handle as they are more active.
The difference between Border Collie and Australian Shepherd is that Border Collie is a medium sized breed of dogs and is known for their intelligence, in the other hand, Australian Shepherd is a medium sized breed but is bigger than the Border Collie and they are known for their robustness and leadership qualities.
Comparison Table Between Border Collie and Australian Shepherd
|Parameter of Comparison||Border Collie||Australian Shepherd|
|Origin||The exact origin of the Border Collie breed is not known to date.||Australian Shepherd, despite their names developed in the United States.|
|Average size||Border Collie is a medium sized dog breed that is between 46 to 58 cm in height.||Australian Shepherd is heavier and bigger in size than the Border Collie. Their heavier height is around 50 to 54 cm.|
|Average weight||An adult Border Collie dog weighs around 23 kgs or 50.7 lbs.||A full grown Australian Shepherd dog weighs around 25 to 30 kg ( 55 to 60 lbs).|
|Characteristics||A Border Collie dog is characterized by its dense and rough coat. Border Collie is a shy but energetic breed of dog. The average life span of a Border Collie dog is 12 years. Border Collie secures first place when it comes to intelligence. Border Collie can have the following colors, namely, Black and White, Mottled, Blue Merle, Red Merle, Chocolate and White, Red and White, etc. Sometimes heterochromia is also seen in the Border Collie breed.||An Australian Shepherd dog has a less dense and smoother coat than a Border Collie dog. Australian Shepherd dog is also characterized by heterochromia meaning that they have different color eyes or sometimes different colors can be found in a single eye. Their maximum life span is 15 years. Australian Shepherd is a great watchdog. When it comes to intelligence, Australian Shepherd ranks 42nd on the list. Australian Shepherds can be Merle, Black, Blue Merle, Red Tricolor, Red, Black, etc colors.|
|Average cost||The border collie breed costs around seven hundred US dollars on average, however, their cost varies depending on their coat color and different colored eyes.||Australian Shepherd also costs almost the same but some varieties cost around nine hundred US dollars.|
What is Border Collie?
Border Collie is a medium sized breed of dogs. The origin of this breed is still not known. In the early days of their evolution, there were a different variety of different works.
Border Collie has a height in the range of 48 to 56 cm. An adult Border Collie weighs up to 23 kgs. They have a maximum life span of about 12 years. Border Collie has a rough and dense coat. Some varieties of Border Collie are characterized by heterochromia. They are known for their intelligence and energy.
They come in a variety of colors. They are known as a shy breed. They require more attention and activity. Border Collie breed costs around 700 USD, however, their cost varies depending on their colors.
What is an Australian Shepherd?
Australian Shepherd is a breed of American origin. The average height of the Australian Shepherd is around 50 to 54 cm and weights in the range of 25 to 30 kgs. They have a smoother coat. One of the most important characteristics of an Australian Shepherd is heterochromia.
Australian Shepherd can live up to 15 years. They are well known for leadership quality and robustness. Australian Shepherd costs around seven hundred US dollars.
Main Differences Between Border Collie and Australian Shepherd
- An Australian Shepherd is a breed from the United States whereas the origin of a Border Collie is still not known.
- Both are a medium sized breed of dogs but the Australian Shepherd is heavier and bigger than the Border Collie.
- The height of an adult Border Collie is in the range of 46 to 58 cm whereas the height of an Australian Shepherd is between 50 and 54 cm.
- A full grown Border Collie can weigh up to 23 kgs whereas an adult Australian Shepherd can weigh between 25 and 30 kgs.
- The coat of a Border Collie is dense and rougher than the coat of an Australian Shepherd.
- Both have a variety of coat patterns but Border Collie comes in more patterns of coats.
- Both are energetic dogs but Border Collie is also shy as compared to an Australian Shepherd.
- Australian Shepherd is a dominant breed of dogs.
- Border Collie dog breed ranks at first place on the rankings of intelligent dogs of the world whereas Australian Shepherd ranks at 42nd place.
- Australian Shepherd is characterized by heterochromia meaning that they have different colored eyes or have different colors in the same eye, some breeds of Border Collie are also characterized by heterochromia.
- When it comes to caring, Border Collie requires much more care and attention than an Australian Shepherd.
- The average life span of a Border Collie is around 15 years whereas the average life span of an Australian Shepherd is around 15 years.
- Border Collie breed dogs are more recommended for those who are adopting a pet for the first time.
The two sheepdogs may differ in characteristics, however, both of them make loyal, caring and affectionate pets and both are equally alert and watchful dogs. However, Border Collie is more suited for those who are first-time pet adopters. Both are equally clever but Border Collie is much intelligent as compared to an Australian Shepherd. But they require different caring and activities to be efficient. Apartment or restricted life is not suited for both the breeds.