Undoubtedly, the words Badger and Wolverine have become legendary, and this is because of pop culture. Badger was presented as a cartoon that took the internet by the craze.
Wolverine is recognized as a part of the X-men. Apart from being members of pop culture, they have greater value.
Wolverines and Badgers are both members of the Mustelidae family, but they do not look alike. Badgers and Wolverines are dark species that can be seen in cold places.
They are furry animals, and each of their feet has five toes. They use the smell of musk to symbolize their area, protect themselves, and attract their mates.
- Badgers are medium-sized, burrowing mammals from the Mustelidae family, characterized by their stocky bodies, short legs, and distinctive facial markings.
- Wolverines are larger, more powerful members of the Mustelidae family, known for their muscular bodies, strong jaws, and aggressive behavior.
- Both badgers and wolverines are members of the Mustelidae family, but badgers are smaller, burrowing animals, while wolverines are larger, more powerful, and have a more aggressive reputation.
Badger vs Wolverine
The difference between Badger and Wolverine is their physical appearance. The Wolverine is more gigantic as compared to the Badger. It is also referred to as a bear because of its appearance. On the other hand, Badgers are small in size. They are not even half of the Wolverine’s mass.
|Parameter of Comparison||Badger||Wolverine|
|Appearance||Badgers are small in size. They are not even half of the Wolverine’s mass.||Wolverine is more gigantic as compared to Badger. It is also referred to as a bear because of its appearance.|
|Habitat||Badgers live in Great Britain, Ireland, Southern Scandinavia, North America, China, and Japan.||They reside in the remote North, mainly in Russia, Alaska, Scandinavia, Siberia, etc.|
|Weight||Badgers weigh approximately 9-26 pounds.||Wolverines weigh approximately 18-46 pounds.|
|Territory occupied||Male badgers occupy approximately 1 1/2 square miles, whereas female badgers occupy approximately 1 square mile.||Male wolverines occupy almost 920 square miles, whereas female wolverines occupy approximately 390 square miles.|
|Length||Badgers are roughly 16-28 inches in length.||Wolverines are about 36 inches in length.|
What is Badger?
Badgers are a member of the Mustelidae family. They are fluffy, short, and fat mammals whose length is 16-28 inches and weight is approximately 9-26 pounds.
They have long claws and broad feet. They have rough hair, the colour of which varies from black or brown to white.
Which animals should be regarded as Badgers has always been a question. The Asian hog badger, the Eurasian badger, and the North American badger have been accepted as badgers.
Whether or not to count the Honey Badger in the list has been a matter of dispute since it differs from others, but they are still taken as a part of the badger list. Badgers are very adjustable.
They favour residing in open grasslands. A few reside in moorland, sea cliffs, quarries, or the woods.
Badgers are found in Great Britain, Ireland, Southern Scandinavia, North America, China, and Japan. Badgers are nightly animals.
They sleep during the day and are sporty at night.
These animals have piercing claws which help them in digging tunnels and caves. It also helps them look for food underground and make their homes.
They live in groups as they like being social. Badgers eat both meat and plants.
They mainly survive on earthworms. They also consume fruit, bird eggs, small mammals, etc.
What is Wolverine?
Wolverines are the largest of the Mustelidae family but are still small. These mammals seem like a combination of a bear and a dog.
They are 24-36 inches in length, and their weight is about 11-18 kilograms. They have long hair, the colour of which can be brown or black.
Wolverines have short legs and extended snouts. Wolverines eat both meat and plants; they are omnivorous animals.
They survive on smaller mammals such as rodents, squirrels, and rabbits. Their classic meals may include mountain goats or moose.
They can move twenty-four kilometres to get their food and are cunning when looking for food. They have powerful teeth and jaws and eat the teeth and bones of their hunt.
Their sense of smell is powerful. Wolverines like to live in cold places and use the snow to store their food and make their sett.
They reside mainly in the remote North, Russia, Alaska, Scandinavia, Siberia, etc. They demand considerable paths to roam, and they are lonely creatures.
These animals use the smell of musk to symbolize their home territories. Male wolverines occupy almost 920 square miles, whereas female wolverines occupy approximately 390 square miles.
Main Differences Between Badger and Wolverine
- Wolverines protect their home territories and kill other wolverines to safeguard their homes. On the other hand, Badgers do not fight for their home ranges, and their territory may intersect with other badgers.
- Wolverine’s fur may vary from blond initially to brown or even black, whereas Badgers may have fur varying from grey to red or brown.
- The lifespan of both these mammals differs. On average, a Wolverine can survive for seventeen years, whereas the lifespan of a Badger is 2-10 years.
- Wolverines weigh approximately 18-46 pounds, while Badgers weigh approximately 9-26 pounds.
- Wolverines are more gigantic than Badgers, whereas Badgers are small and not even half of the Wolverine’s mass.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.