The porcine family is one of the most common species among the animals. It is seen as one of the cutest species of animals.
The porcine family is commonly referred to as the pig family.
In this family belong a lot of creatures. Swine, hog, and pig are the most common members of the pig family. The word pig is most commonly associated with the word swine.
Similarly, the word hog is mostly associated with the word pig. Thus, it is seen that there exists a strong connection between these two words.
The word Hog and Pig often tend to confuse most people. Though both these words are very commonly used interchangeably, they do not have the same meaning.
There is a major difference between a Hog and a Pig.
- A hog is a term used to describe a domestic pig raised and bred for meat production, weighing over 120 pounds (54 kg) and used for pork products such as bacon, ham, and sausages.
- A pig is a more general term encompassing various swine species, including domestic pigs, wild boars, and the broader family of animals, including hogs.
- The difference between a hog and a pig is primarily based on their intended purpose and size, with hogs referring specifically to larger, meat-producing domestic pigs. In contrast, the term pig encompasses a broader range of swine species and sizes.
Hog vs. Pig
Hogs have large bodies and weigh about 120 pounds. They are considered domestic animals that are slaughtered for their meat. Hogs are omnivores, and their organs are used in the medical industry. Pigs are small in size and weigh less than 54 kg. They are not slaughtered due to less meat.
|Parameters of Comparison||Hog||Pig|
|Features||Hogs have stocky bodies, small eyes, large ears and a flat snout.||Pigs have short legs, bristly hair, cloven hooves, a cartilaginous snout|
|Weight||Hogs weigh more than 120 lbs.||Pigs weigh less than 120 lbs.|
|Size||Hogs are large.||Pigs are small in size.|
|Age||Hogs are older than pigs.||Pigs are not as old as hogs. They are younger|
|Classification||Hogs are classified as domestic or wild.||Pigs are mostly domestic species.|
|Slaughter||Hogs are often slaughtered for their meat.||Pigs are not slaughtered because their meat content is low.|
|Market Value||In the market, hogs are often referred to as ‘finished products’ since they are ready to be sold.||In the market, pigs are not sold. This is because of the small age and less weight.|
What is Hog
Hogs are members of the Suidae family. The Suidae family consists of domestic pigs and some other wild species.
Hogs are one of the most common mammals in this family.
Hogs have sturdy bodies. Their eyes are small, ears large, and tails thin.
They have a flat snout. Hogs are omnivores in nature.
They are often sold in the market for their meat. The Chinese people started to domesticate these mammals around 6000 years ago.
They did because hogs served as a prime source of meat.
Even to date, hogs are among the top animals slaughtered for their meat. Hogs are also used in other areas.
They are commonly used in the medical industry. This is because the organs of a hog are quite similar to that of a human being.
A lot of medicines and insulin are produced from hogs.
When left free, hogs move to the wild at a great speed. They tend to change both in physique, disposition, and in temperament.
They tend to become more aggressive. Hogs are aged pigs.
They weigh more than 120 pounds. They are large.
Hogs are found in all parts of the world except in Australia and Antarctica.
They are considered smart animals that have a good intellectual level. Hogs mostly live in groups. They communicate through short or long grunts.
What is Pig?
A pig is a young swine. It is a mammal that has not matured yet.
It comes under the Suidae family. The Suidae family has 16 species.
The word Pig is mostly used for all domestic swine of the Pig family. They come under the Suidae family.
The family comprises pigs, hogs, and boars. All these family members are commonly called swine.
It has been often said that Pigs originated in Southeast Asia. They have been domesticated since 8000 BC.
They were domesticated around the same time as cattle. Pigs are not sold in the market because it is not of much use to slaughter them.
This is because they are small and do not have much meat.
The common characteristics of a pig are small eyes, short legs, cloven hooves, and cartilaginous snouts. The tails are curled.
They are omnivores in nature. They are smarter than an average 3-year-old kid.
Pigs are light in weight. They weigh less than 54 kg.
They are young creatures. They are most tolerant to colder temperatures.
They are not able to sweat due to the lack of sweat glands. They are very social animals and love to form close bonds.
Main Differences Between Hog and Pig
- Hogs belong to the category of both wild and domestic species. On the other hand, pigs are domestic animals.
- Hogs are heavier and weigh more than 120 lbs, while on the other, Pigs are comparatively lighter and weigh less than 120 lbs.
- The age of Hogs is always more than that of pigs, while on the other hand, the age of Pigs is always less than hogs.
- Hogs are slaughtered so that their meat could be used. On the other hand, the meat content of pigs is low, so they are not slaughtered.
- The size of Hogs is larger than that of pigs, while on the other hand, pigs are smaller animals when compared to the size of Pigs.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.