When someone buys or builds a new house, they look forward to making a pleasant and organized area to enjoy the quality time. For these purposes, one can go for a balcony, a patio, a deck, a verandah, etc. However, one often gets confused between a balcony and a patio.
A balcony is a small area or platform made attached to a house only on the upper floors using concrete, iron, bricks, etc. A patio is an area either on the front or on the back of the house, it can be attached to the house or can be separated from it.
The difference between balcony and patio is that a balcony is an extension on the outside of the upper floors of a house or a building enclosed with walls and has no access or touch with the ground, a balcony is generally small in area, on the other hand, a patio is a relaxation area, a backyard or a living space on the outdoors of a house used mostly as a dining place or for recreational purposes and has an area as per the desire of the owner.
Comparison Table Between Balcony and Patio
|Parameter of Comparison||Balcony||Patio|
|Basic definition||A balcony is a platform or extension made on the outside of the house.||A patio is an area paved either outside the house or in the backyard of the house.|
|Made using||A balcony is generally made using concrete, bricks, iron, etc.||A patio is generally made using tiles, bricks, stones, concrete, cobbles, etc.|
|Area or size||A balcony is generally smaller in area.||The size of a patio depends either on the needs of the owner or on the desire of the owner. If one needs a patio for entertainment and recreational activities then it can be large in area and if one needs it only for dining then it can be smaller in area.|
|Positioning||A balcony is made only on the upper floors and never on the ground floor.||A patio is made only on the outside or backyard of a house. It is always on the ground and can either be attached to the main building or can be separated from it.|
|Purposes||Balconies do not have any specific purposes to serve and can be used only for a few works.||A patio can be made for entertainment, recreational purposes, dining, etc.|
What is the Balcony?
A balcony is a platform or an extension made on the outside of the building or house. It is always made on the upper floors and therefore does not have the access to the ground. It is mostly enclosed on three sides by walls or balustrades. A balcony can be open or have a roof.
A balcony is usually small in area, however, these days it is a trend to create theatre balconies. A balcony is made using concrete, bricks, iron, etc. But in the past few years, other materials are being used to make it attractive. It is generally supported by columns or console brackets.
A balcony does not have any specific purposes and is mostly used as space enlargers. It serves as an open area who do not have access to the yards. They are an area to enjoy fresh air and sunlight.
What is the Patio?
The name patio has been derived from the Spanish synonym of backyard gardens. A patio is a relaxation area or a living space paved either on the front of the house or the backside of the house. A patio is always built on the ground floor. A patio could either be attached to the house or can be separated from the house. A patio is either open or covered.
The size of a patio depends on the desires and needs of the house owner. A patio is built using tiles, stones, concrete, pavers, bricks, cobbles, gravels, asphalt, etc. The choice of the material for a patio is based on the requirements of the design and the weather conditions of the area.
A patio is used mostly as a relaxation area, an entertainment area, as a recreational area or as a dining area. A patio could be a day thing or a night one. It can be used to enjoy drink parties or a starry night.
Main Differences Between Balcony and Patio
- A balcony is an area or a platform built on the outside attached to the building, on the other hand, a patio is an area paved on the front or on the back of the house.
- A balcony is always made on the upper floors without having the access to the ground, on the other hand, a patio is always made on the ground floor.
- A balcony is always attached to the main building, on the other hand, a patio can either be attached to the main building or may be separated from the main building.
- A balcony is made using bricks, concrete, cast iron, tiles, rods, etc, on the other hand, a patio is made using materials that are durable for the outside weather conditions, it is made from tiles, bricks, stones, concrete, cobbles, asphalt, pavers, gravel, etc.
- A balcony is smaller in area, on the other hand, the size of a patio is dependent on the needs and desires of the house owner.
- A balcony due to its small area does not have any specific purpose to serve, on the other hand, a patio can be used for various purposes, it can be used as a recreational area, as an entertainment area, as a dining area, etc.
The two may have a difference but these days they are being used for various purposes. People have found new ways to decorate and use them. In case of unavailability of large areas, one can go for balconies and use them efficiently.