When someone buys or builds a new house, they look forward to making a pleasant and organized area to enjoy quality time. For these purposes, one can go for a balcony, a patio, a deck, a verandah, etc.
However, one gets confused between a balcony and a patio. A balcony is a small area or platform attached to a house only on the upper floors using concrete, iron, bricks, etc.
A patio is an area either on the front or at the back of the house; it can be attached to or separated from the house.
- Balconies are elevated platforms attached to the exterior of a building, accessed from an upper floor, with a railing for safety; patios are ground-level, outdoor spaces adjoining a building, paved or covered with stone or concrete.
- Balconies provide smaller, private outdoor spaces suitable for individuals or small groups; patios offer larger outdoor activities, furniture, and landscaping areas.
- Balconies are supported by columns, brackets, or cantilevered from a building’s structure; patios are built on a flat, stable surface and do not require additional support.
Balcony vs. Patio
A patio is a small space outside the house paved with stones and bricks, made for small get-togethers, fun activities and histing guests. Balcony is an extension in the home above the ground floor enclosed by walls or glass. Balcony is accessible from inside the home for some fresh air or me time.
|Parameter of Comparison
|A balcony is a platform or extension made outside the house.
|A patio is an area paved outside the house or in the backyard.
|A balcony is made using concrete, bricks, iron, etc.
|A patio is made using tiles, bricks, stones, concrete, cobbles, etc.
|Area or size
|A balcony is smaller in area.
|The size of a patio depends either on the owner’s needs or on the owner’s desire. If one needs a patio for entertainment and recreational activities, it can be large in area, and if one needs it only for dining, then it can be smaller.
|A balcony is made only on the upper and never the ground floors.
|A patio is made only on the outside or backyard of a house. It is always on the ground and can either be attached to the main building or separated.
|Balconies do not have any specific purposes to serve and can be used only for a few works.
|A patio can be made for entertainment, recreation, dining, etc.
What is the Balcony?
A balcony is a platform or an extension made outside the building or house. It is always made on the upper floors and therefore cannot access the ground.
It is mostly enclosed on three sides by walls or fences. A balcony can be open or have a roof.
A balcony is small in area. However, these days it is a trend to create theatre balconies. A balcony is made using concrete, bricks, iron, etc.
But in the past few years, other materials have been used to make it attractive. Columns or console brackets support it.
A balcony has no specific purpose and is mostly used as a space enlarger. It serves as an open area who do not have access to the yards.
They are an area to enjoy fresh air and sunlight.
What is the Patio?
The name patio has been derived from the Spanish synonym of backyard gardens. A patio is a relaxation area, or a living space paved either on the front of the house or the backside of the house.
A patio is always built on the ground floor. A patio could either be attached to the house or separated from the house.
A patio is either open or covered. The size of a patio depends on the desires and needs of the house owner.
A patio uses tiles, stones, concrete, pavers, bricks, cobbles, gravel, asphalt, etc. The choice of the material for a patio is based on the design requirements and the area’s weather conditions.
A patio is used mostly as a relaxation area, an entertainment area, a recreational area, or a dining area. A patio could be a day thing or a night one. It can be used to enjoy drink parties or a starry night.
Main Differences Between Balcony and Patio
- A balcony is an area or a platform built on the outside attached to the building; conversely, a patio is an area paved on the front or the back of the house.
- A balcony is always made on the upper floors without access to the ground; conversely, a patio is always made on the ground floor.
- A balcony is always attached to the main building; conversely, a patio can either be attached to the main building or may be separated from the main building.
- A balcony is made using bricks, concrete, cast iron, tiles, rods, etc.; on the other hand, a patio is made using materials that are durable for the outside weather conditions; it is made from tiles, bricks, stones, concrete, cobbles, asphalt, pavers, gravel, etc.
- A balcony is smaller in area; on the other hand, the size of a patio depends on the house owner’s needs and desires.
- Due to its small area, a balcony has no specific purpose; on the other hand, a patio can be used for various purposes, such as a recreational area, an entertainment area, a dining area, etc.
Last Updated : 14 October, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.