When we are hungry, we desire tasty food, and when the meal is full of varied flavors and tastes, what more can we ask for? Many spices and seeds are used in cooking to make meals more delicious.
Black Seed and Onion Seed are two seeds that are used in our food as a spice, flavoring, or seasoning to improve the taste and scent.
These two seeds are frequently mistaken; however, in this article, we’ll go over the key characteristics that can help you identify between them.
- The black seed comes from the Nigella sativa plant and has an intense, bitter flavor, while the onion seed is derived from the Allium cepa plant and possesses a mild onion taste.
- Black seed has various medicinal properties, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, while onion seed is mainly used as a flavoring agent.
- Black seed oil is used in traditional medicine and skin care, while onion seed oil is less common and primarily used for cooking.
Black Seed vs Onion Seed
Black seed is commonly used as a spice in cooking and is believed to have various health benefits, while onion seed has a strong and pungent flavor and is used as a spice in various cuisines. Onion seed is an annual plant that belongs to the same family as black seed and is used in several products.
Nigella sativa, sometimes known as Black Seed, is a shrub that grows indigenous to Asia and the Mediterranean. Throughout centuries, its seed has been utilized to manufacture medicine.
By functioning as an antihistamine, the Black seed may aid to enhance the immune system, prevent cancer, avoid pregnancy, decrease edoema, and diminishing allergic symptoms in the body.
The onion seed is simply a seed that grows onions. The Egyptians were the people who discovered the onion seeds and later the Greeks used them to treat a variety of diseases including migraines, bronchitis, and toothaches.
This miraculous seed, which is extensively used in India to season stews and pickles, has a long list of medicinal advantages.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Triangular or pyramidal
|Flatter than Black Seed
|Uses in food
|Flavoring or spice
|Flavoring and seasoning
| – Asthma
– Cough, bronchitis
– Emphysema, flu, etc.
|– Colon cancer.
– Prevent hair loss
– Avoid premature aging, etc.
What is Black Seed?
Black seed has been used as medicine for treating various ailments for over 2000 years. It was even found in the tomb of King Tut. Black seed has traditionally been used to treat headaches, toothaches, nasal irritation, and roundworm.
The yearly blooming plant Nigella sativa belongs to the Ranunculaceae family. Some regions of Asia, North Africa, and the Middle East are home to this species.
Nigella sativa is the scientific name for Black Seeds. Black fennel, fennel flower, black cumin, and kalonji are some of the other names for Black Seeds. Because of the variances in names, there is a lot of uncertainty over Black Seeds.
It is around the same size as caraway seeds. They can be used as a condiment, a spice, or an organic flavoring.
It is said that Black Seed is extremely beneficial for our health; hence, we have listed a few of the prominent medicinal benefits that we get from Black Seeds:
- High in antioxidant: According to several test-tube types of research, Black Seed’s strong antioxidant concentration may effectively safeguard us from many diseases.
- Helps to fight and prevent cancer: The elements of Black Seed may have anti-cancer properties that help us to fight cancer cells.
- Helps our body to fight bacteria: Black Seed is beneficial against a variety of bacterial illnesses which was proved in both test tubes and human investigations.
- Helps to protect our liver: Black Seed has been shown in animal experiments to safeguard the liver against injury and serious harm.
What is Onion Seed?
Many onion types have black seeds. Onion Seeds, on the other hand, are frequently confused with black seeds. Although Black seeds and Onion seeds have a similar look, they are not the same.
The discovery of Onion seeds cannot be predicted exactly as there are no written documents or discoveries that have been made in regards to Onion Seed. However, its traces can be found in the times of the Egyptians which can be proved by the fact that it was found near Tutankhamun’s tomb.
They’re mostly employed in confectionery and alcoholic beverages. They are commonly used in the preparation of parathas and other Indian bread, and they not only offer a fantastic flavor but also provide a pleasing aesthetic appeal by standing out against the golden backdrop of the bread and cookies.
They’re great in any stew, boil, or even lentils.
Onion Seed enhance our culinary delight as well as its vital properties helps us to fight various diseases, some of its health benefits are listed below:
- Helps to fight Dental issues: Onion Seed addresses a variety of dental issues, including poor breath, swelling gums, dental caries, etc.
- Helps to keep our bone strong and healthy: Onion Seed boosts bone density, making it stronger, fitter, and healthier. It will greatly decrease inflammation as well as discomfort in your muscles and joints.
- Helps to prevent cancer: In addition to fighting free radicals, they also fight cells and tissues that are prone to develop cancer.
- Helps to regulate our blood pressure: It quickly metabolizes fat and prevents the formation of unwanted fat and cholesterol. It will ultimately result in faster metabolism and ensure that our blood pressure is under control.
Main Differences Between Black Seed and Onion Seed
1. Black Seed has a very mild smell which is almost bland whereas Onion Seed has the smell of an onion.
2. The size of Black Seed is comparatively bigger than Onion Seed.
3. A Black Seed has beautiful purple flowers, while Onion Seeds have green/white leaves and flowers
4. Black seed has a mild flavor that reminds me of cumin while Onion Seed possesses a sharp flavor with a bitter aftertaste.
5. The shelf life of Black Seed is longer as compared to Onion Seed.
Last Updated : 23 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.