Christianity is a religion, which is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Indeed, both Christians and Catholics pray to Jesus Christ. All the Catholics are Christians, though all the Christians are not Catholics.
Both belief in Jesus Christ and the holy bible is the sacred book of both. There are many similarities between them though there are some key differences that differentiate them. They are mentioned below.
- Christianity encompasses various denominations, while Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination.
- Catholics recognize the Pope’s authority, but other Christians do not.
- Catholicism emphasizes sacraments and rituals, whereas other Christian denominations may prioritize personal faith.
Christianity vs Catholicism
Christianity is a monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as described in the Bible. Catholicism is a branch of Christianity that is based on the teachings and traditions of the Catholic Church, which is the largest Christian denomination in the world.
Christianity is a religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. They believe that Jesus is the son of the Holy Trinity who came to earth as the incarnate form of god. Christianity is the most followed religion in the world, with 2.5 Billion followers.
The origin of this religion goes back to the first century.
Catholicism is the beliefs and customs of the catholic church. There are many denominations of Christianity and Catholicism is one of them.
The Catholics who follow catholicism are more ritualistic, they believe the church is the only way to reach salvation and god.
|Parameters of Comparison||Christianity||Catholicism|
|Authority||They don’t believe in Hierarchy commonly so no authority is given. Some of the denomination do.||Catholicism is a denominations of Christianity that believes in the hierarchy. They consider the Pope as the highest authority.|
|Followers||Around 2.5 billion followers.||Around 1.33 billion followers.|
|Legislation||It varies through denominations of Christianity.||Canon Law, diocesan Law, Papal Decree.|
|Language||Aramaic, Common Greek, Hebrew are the original languages.||Latin and Greek; Aramaic, Hebrew are the original languages.|
|Divorce||Divorce is allowed.||Divorce is not allowed. Though annulment is allowed.|
What is Christianity?
Christianity is a religion which is followed the most all over the world. Christianity is based on the life of Jesus Christ, who is considered as the incarnation of God.
It is said that he came to earth as a Messiah for people and that his coming to the earth was prophesied before in the book known as Hebrew Bible, also called an Old Testament. His life and teachings are followed in Christianity.
Holy Bible is the sacred book of Christians. The followers of the religion Christianity are known as Christians. Their place of worship is called a church. And their priest is known as the Father of the church.
Christianity is a wide religion with many denominations including Catholicism, Protestantism, Evangelicalism, Anglicanism, Orthodoxy, Methodism, Pentecostalism, and Jewish Christianity. The origin of Christianity goes way too back as humanity goes.
It began in the first century as a Second Temple Judaic.
Different denominations of Christianity have different beliefs. Most of the main beliefs are common though some are different.
The common beliefs are the belief in Jesus Christ, following the Holy Bible, believing in sacraments, trinity, and the 10 commandments. Also, they believe in the existence of heaven and hell.
What is Catholicism?
Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, a denomination. Many of the beliefs of catholicism are the same as the Christians though many are very different. Catholics also believe in Jesus Christ and Holy Bible. All Catholics are considered Christians.
Catholics follow their traditions, beliefs, and rituals strictly. They believe in the high power and that the path of Jesus is the only path of Salvation. They believe in regularly visiting churches as they feel that worshiping should be a continual process.
Also, they believe that they should confess to priests for absolution from their sins. Also, they consider praying to Jesus facing the Blessed Sacrament.
The word Catholicism comes from the Greek word “catholikismos“, which means, ‘according to the whole’. The origins of Catholicism are linked with Apostle Peter, who is known as the father of the catholic church.
Catholics believe in the hierarchy as well. They consider their pope as the highest moral religious authority. Also, their rules regarding priests and bishops are strict.
According to the rule, the rest and bishops are not to get married or have sexual intercourse. And only men can be priests. Women can become nuns to be a part of the church.
Main Differences Between Christianity And Catholicism
- Christianity is the largest followed religion in the world, Catholicism is a branch of Christianity among the others.
- The Christians do not believe in the hierarchy while the Catholics do. According to the Catholics, the pope is the highest authority.
- Christians follow their religion with open beliefs, there are many interpretations of the bible according to them. And they may or may not go to church regularly. Catholics highly believe in the church and consider maintaining their regular visit to church.
- In different denominations of Christianity, there are different beliefs about marriage in divorce. Mainly divorce is allowed in Christianity. Although catholicism does not allow divorce, they only permit annulment in the presence of a competent church official.
- Christianity is followed by about 2.5 billion people all over the world. Catholicism is followed by around 1.33 Billion people over the world.
- All the Christians are not Catholics but all the Catholics are Christians.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.