Food is the basic need of human beings, and the world works to satisfy their hunger needs. Humans need food that provides all the essential nutrients for survival.
Rich in iron, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, etc., they are the best food.
One such food is Porridge, a cereal breakfast. Porridge is made from starchy plants, especially grains.
It can be cooked sweet or salty, depending on the choice. Besides breakfast, it is often taken as a snack.
Porridge is made from various plants, but Cream of Wheat and Grits are the two most common types. Cream of wheat is made from wheat, and Grits are made from grounded corn.
These have high nutritional values.
- Cream of Wheat is a hot breakfast cereal made from finely ground wheat, offering a smooth texture and mild flavor.
- Grits are a hot breakfast cereal made from coarsely ground corn, yielding a more granular texture and a slightly sweet, corn-like taste.
- Cream of Wheat and grits are popular hot cereals but differ in their primary ingredients, texture, and flavor profiles.
Cream of Wheat vs Grits
Cream of Wheat is made from wheat semolina, which is ground and milled to create a smooth texture and mild, slightly sweet taste. Grits are made from ground hominy, which is treated with an alkali solution to remove the hull and germ. They are cooked with milk or water and served hot.
|Parameter of Comparison||Cream of Wheat||Grits|
|Composition||Cream of wheat is made from ground wheat.||Grits are made up of grounded corn.|
|Texture||Cream of wheat is creamier. Therefore, it is more suited to milk.||Grits have a grainier texture.|
|Taste||Cream of wheat is sweet.||Grits are salty.|
|Served with||Usually served in milk with sweet toppings such as honey, maple syrup, dried fruits, cinnamon, etc.||Served with eggs and cheese with toppings of butter, salt, pepper, tomatoes, etc.|
|Serving time||Cream of wheat is taken for breakfast.||Grits can be taken as any meal as they have complete food’s nutritional value.|
What is Cream of Wheat?
Cream of Wheat is a porridge made from wheat semolina. Cream of Wheat was first manufactured in 1893 by Grand Forks, North Dakota, US; therefore, it has its dominance in the North.
Cream of Wheat is a trademark product manufactured by the company.
Cream of Wheat is made by mixing flour in boiling water or milk. It is stirred until it becomes thick. Adding milk to Cream of Water makes it creamier and tastier.
Cream of Wheat has a smooth texture and is white. It is served in milk with sweet toppings such as honey, maple syrup, dried fruits, cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, etc.
Cream of Wheat is low in calories and has important micronutrients. One cup has approximately 4 gm of Protein and 28 gm of Carbs.
It is also rich in fibre and vitamins such as B6, riboflavin, thiamine, calcium, and selenium. It has a good amount of iron that serves as a key source for vegetarians.
Although Cream of wheat offers many health benefits, it has some downsides too. It contains gluten that gives it elasticity. Therefore, it is not suited for gluten-intolerant people.
Cream of wheat also has an amount of sodium around 25% more than the prescribed daily intake. Therefore, the cream of wheat is not a great dietary addition for everyone.
What is Grits?
Grits are a kind of porridge made from grounded corn corners. An American tribal dish inspired the grits during the 16th century.
The dish was a dominant food in the Southern parts of the US.
Grits are prepared by mixing four-part milk or water and one part cornmeal and cooking for about 30 minutes. Grits have a coarser or rough texture as compared to Cream of Wheat.
Grits are grainier; they have a slightly yellow or pale colour. Grits are served hot and savoury with butter, salt, cheese, pepper, corn, tomatoes, onions, etc.
They are also taken as a meal with eggs.
Grits are rich in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. One cup of Grits contains 182 calories, 4gm Proteins and 38 gm carbs.
It is also rich in fibre, float, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, etc. Grits are rich in iron and B vitamins. They are packed with antioxidants like lutein, zeaxanthin, etc.
Grits are also naturally gluten-free.
One of the downsides of grits is that it is served with high-calorie foods, therefore, can lead to weight gain. Another downside is that it loses some of the essential nutrients after processing.
Main Differences Between Cream of Wheat and Grits
- Cream of wheat is made up of grounded wheat, ground into very small parts, whereas Grits are made up of grounded corn.
- Cream of wheat has a smoother or creamier texture, while Grits have a coarser or trainer texture.
- Cream of wheat is sweet, while grits are salty to taste.
- Cream of wheat is particularly rich and therefore serves as a critical source of iron for vegetarians; it also contains a handful of vitamins. Grits are rich in iron and minerals like calcium.
- Cream of wheat contains gluten; therefore, it is not a suitable meal for all, whereas Grits are naturally gluten-free.
- Cream of wheat is generally served hot in milk, while Grits are served with eggs and cheese.
- Cream of wheat has sweet toppings such as maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, etc., while Grits have toppings such as butter, salt, pepper, onions and tomatoes.
- Cream of wheat is taken in breakfast, while Grits can be taken in any meal.
- Cream of Wheat is a dominant food in the North, while Grits dominate in the South.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.