Ego and self-respect are two different human behaviours that have a very thin boundary separating their meaning.
Table of Contents
Ego vs Self Respect
The difference between ego and self-respect is that ego is a negative feeling that sometimes make people take the wrong path. In contrast, self-respect is a positive feeling that gives people control and confidence over themselves.
Ego is a type of human behaviour that makes one care and think only about himself hence making them selfish. These people do not care about others and often try to make them feel inferior.
They always look for comparisons and competitions in everything they do.
Whereas self-respect, as the name describes itself, is an understanding of self-worth. It makes people confident about themselves.
People with self-respect value other’s opinions and feelings as much as they value their own.
|Feelings||Thinks only about their own feelings and thoughts.||Thinks about other’s feelings and thoughts too.|
|Behaviour with others||Always try to make everyone feel inferior and do not respect their opinions.||Believes in team work and respects other’s opinions too.|
|Things that matter||Success , competition and comparisons.||Being a better person.|
|Fears||Failures and other people’s judgements.||Do not fear anything.|
|Emotions||Guides towards negative feelings and thoughts.||Guides towards positive feelings and thoughts.|
|Outcomes||Other people do not like them||Other people like to spend time with such people.|
What is Ego?
Ego is a human behaviour that makes a person think and care only about himself. They do not consider anyone superior to them and is always trying to compete with others.
These people do not like to lose, and to achieve this, they do not hesitate to take the wrong path and decisions. Other people’s feeling and opinions do not matter to them, all that matters to them is that their ego is satisfied every time.
Egoistic people create an image about themselves in their own mind, a powerful image, and they never want it to change. And because of this, they have a fear of the outside world and other people’s opinions.
Ego fills one’s mind with negative thoughts and feelings like jealousy, anger, hatred etc. towards other people, it makes them think that they are the only one who is right. It also makes them greedy, they are never satisfied with anything, and they always want more than others.
People with ego are not good at handling criticism, they do not like being judged, but at the same time criticising is all they do with other people. This is one of the biggest reason why no one likes egoistic people.
What is Self-Respect?
Self-respect means respecting yourself, it is about knowing self-worth and value. People with self-respect values themself and at the same time value others too.
They never only think about themself but also stay aware of other’s wants and needs. They value themself but do not worship themself.
They do not believe in comparing and competing with others that might result in hard feelings between them and others, they also never make anyone feel inferior to them. These people always first think about right and wrong before doing anything or taking any decision.
Self-respect always guides people towards positive feelings and thoughts. They never harm anyone intentionally, never disrespects them and never do anything wrong just for the sake of proving their point.
These people are not stubborn, and they appreciate criticism, as for them, it is what motivates them to be a greater person every day. They always share their opinions with others and listens to others too as they believe in teamwork.
They never fear failure and judgements by other people as for them, it is just another step towards success. They are always happy and appreciative of other people’s achievements and success.
This is the reason why other people like them.
Main Differences Between Ego and Self-Respect
- People with ego only think and care about themself, whereas people with self-respect cares and think about other people too.
- Egoistic people do not respect other’s opinions and decisions, they always think that they are the only one who is capable of making the right decisions. While people with self-respect respect and consider other’s views too. They believe in teamwork.
- Success, competition, and comparisons are the only things that matter to an egoistic person as it helps them to satisfy their ego. Whereas for the people with self-respect, these things do no matter as much. They only concentrate on making themself better.
- People with ego fears failure and other people’s judgment. Whereas people with self-respect do not fear them.
- Ego fills one up with negative feelings and thoughts, but self-respect guides one towards positive feelings and thoughts.
- People do not like the person who has an ego, whereas they want to spend time with people having self-respect.
- Egoistic people do not mind hurting others in any way, in contrast, people with self-respect pays equal attention to other’s feelings as they do to their own.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️