Our earth is miraculously filled with many souvenirs that aren’t even located or found yet by humans.
On earth, one could find almost every possible resource like – natural resources, man-made resources, precious gems, exotic species both related to flora and fauna, etc.
Some of these resources are used to meet the regular or daily needs for the smooth functioning of humankind. And Ethanol, Gasoline both are among them as they may be categorized under the fuels.
Ethanol vs Gasoline
The difference between Ethanol and Gasoline is that the main composition of the ethanol fuel is comprising of only the ethyl alcohol molecules while comparatively, on the other hand, the main composition of gasoline comprises of different hydrocarbons up to 500 in number (that may be of heptane, ethylbenzene, or any other).
Ethanol is one of the popular hydrocarbons which is obtained after the reaction of ethane and water but in the absence of air.
The product can be obtained in different ways like – major production is obtained from sugarcane and corn, while in a laboratory, it can be obtained with fermenting yeast in an anaerobic reaction to produce it.
Gasoline is also one of the popular fuels that are used to give power to most vehicles. The composition of the gasoline mainly involves the binding of 500 different hydrocarbons (like – ethylbenzene, heptane, etc.).
The major source through which gasoline is obtained is crude oil. Also, when the product is used in a vehicle, the major advantage is that it doesn’t harm the vehicle engine.
|Parameters of Comparison||Ethanol||Gasoline|
|Definition||It is a type of fuel that comprises an alcohol.||It is a type of fuel that comprises hydrocarbons of different types.|
|Composition||Ethyl alcohol||Ethylbenzene, heptane, and many others composed to form a 500 molecule hydrocarbon|
|Sources||The main sources to obtain it are sugarcane and corn.||Crude oil|
|Production of Energy||Less||More|
|Engine Damage||They harm the engine.||They don’t harm the engine.|
|Environmental Effect||Good for environment||Not good for the environment|
What is Ethanol?
Ethanol is a chemical that is obtained in laboratories while performing many reactions as one of the by-products. Also, in some natural processes, it is obtained in its raw and concentrated form.
Although it was not considered or used more often as a fuel but gradually, with time the scientists and humankind realized the importance of using ethanol as biofuel.
The major source to obtain ethanol through natural resources is sugarcane and corn. While in laboratories, it can be obtained from performing the fermentation process.
The composition of the molecule only includes ethyl alcohol, and no doped molecule can be found. The chemical formula standardized by IUCN for ethanol is C2H5OH.
Scientists have noticed through varied experiments that one gallon of ethanol produces less energy if compared to gasoline.
Although using ethanol as the biofuel for fuel may be a step closer to the environment but a step back for the vehicles. This is because ethanol spoils or damages the engine.
What is Gasoline?
Gasoline is also categorized as a fuel that is obtained from crude oil. It is not feasible to produce gasoline in laboratories. Thus, it is obtained in the large refinery on a commercial basis.
The structure or the composition of the gasoline is quite complex, unlike that of ethanol. In a broader sense, it consists of 500 different hydrocarbons linked with each other.
As gasoline is manufactured in large refineries thus, it is not obtained in its purest form. The manufacturers mix many additives in it to increase its properties. The scientific name for manufacturing and obtaining gasoline is ‘fractional distillation.
The different hydrocarbons in the gasoline structure are interestingly linked in a linear chain with some aromatic hydrocarbons.
The four major types of hydrocarbons to be noticed are – aliphatic linear (like – heptane), aromatic hydrocarbon (like – ethylbenzene), aliphatic branched (like – isooctane), and aliphatic cyclic (cyclopentane).
Main Differences Between Ethanol and Gasoline
- Ethanol is said to be a type of fuel having molecules of alcohol, while comparatively, on the other hand, gasoline is another type of fuel that is made of hydrocarbon molecules.
- The composition or the structure of ethanol consists of just ethyl alcohol molecules, while comparatively, on the other hand, the composition or the structure of gasoline consists of 500 different hydrocarbons.
- The major sources to get ethanol is sugarcane and corn, while comparatively, on the other hand, the major source for getting gasoline is from crude oil.
- The energy produced by one-gallon ethanol is less while comparatively, on the other hand, the energy produced by one-gallon gasoline is more by 1/3rd proportion.
- Using ethanol as fuel for vehicles may cause damage to the engine faster, while comparatively, on the other hand, using gasoline as the fuel for a vehicle does not harm the engine in any form.
- Being a natural source and also showing complete combustion, ethanol is considered an environmentally friendly choice for many purposes while comparatively, on the other hand, gasoline is obtained from crude oil it shows incomplete combustion property which is not a criterion for environment-friendly fuel.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️