Modern times are marked by a rapid digitization process. We are becoming increasingly dependent on technology. Online shopping, entertainment, and even finding a soul mate are among the things people do nowadays. The online world has come a long way since the days of the dinosaurs. Connecting friends, family, and strangers online is possible with social networking sites. Some of the most popular social networks are Facebook and Orkut.
Facebook vs Orkut
The main difference between Facebook and Orkut is that while Facebook, owned by Meta, is still operating and serving users, while Orkut, owned by Google, was shut down on 30 September 2014.
Facebook is a social networking site that was created by Mark Zuckerberg while he still attended Harvard University with his roommates. Through the sharing of images, videos, and posts, users can interact with each other. This helps them stay in touch with family and friends.
The Orkut social networking platform was developed by Orkut Büyükkökten while he was still working at Google. Google later acquired and operated Orkut. After failing to expand its user base and facing stiff competition from Facebook, Google formally announced the termination of its services effective 30 September 2014.
Comparison Table Between Facebook and Orkut
|Parameters of Comparison||Orkut|
|Overall look||Professional, polished, and lively appearance.||Unprofessional, unfinished, and dull appearance.|
|Applications||The Facebook app provides a number of features that can be used by users.||Orkut does not have such applications.|
|Ability to categorize||There is no way for Facebook users to categorize their friends.||Users on Orkut can categorize their friends into close friends, acquaintances, etc.|
|Privacy||Profiles and posts on Facebook can only be seen by friends.||Such restrictions do not apply to Orkut. Anyone can view your profile.|
What is Facebook?
Some people believe that Facebook is primarily used to upload pictures. But it can also be used for various other purposes such as comments, links to news, and short-form videos. Many people now consider owning a Facebook account an essential part of being online, much like having a personal email address. In addition, other websites have integrated Facebook into their services. You can share your posts with anyone you desire, could be a single person or the everyone in yòur friends list.
You don’t have to be a techie to sign up for Facebook and begin posting .Facebook started as a platform to connect to your friends who you have lost touch with. But nowadays it is also used by businesses to expand their market through ads and various other methods to potential customers. Many users visit the site every day. Facebook does not allow adult content, unlike some social networking sites. User transgressions are punishable by bans. In order to protect users’ information from being accessed by third parties,
Facebook is so popular because of these features:
- You are in command of choosing your own friends and Facebook also allows you to hide stuff from these if you want to.
- Uploading photos and photo albums.
- To keep in touch, share information, or just to say “hi” on Facebook, you can engage in interactive online chat and comment on your friends’ profile pages.
- Businesses nowadays use Facebook to expand their market through ads and various other methods to potential customers.
- as a tool for social media marketing with group pages, fan pages, and business pages. it is also used by businesses. The developer network on Facebook offers advanced functionality and monetization options.
- Facebook Live is available for live streaming.
What is Orkut?
The Orkut social networking platform was developed by Orkut Büyükkökten while he was still working at Google. Google later acquired and operated Orkut. After failing to expand its user base and facing stiff competition from Facebook, Google formally announced the termination of its services effective 30 September 2014. You can share interesting Web pages and content on Orkut by using the “like” feature. You can chat directly from your Orkut page thanks to the integrated GTalk, Google’s instant messenger.
Orkut has been plagued with security issues, such as hacking and spam, despite its popularity. A number of steps have been taken by Google to prevent and eliminate security issues.
This site has been dealing with some of the problems and security issues that are common to social networking sites, such as electronic spam, trolling, cyber-stalking, and hate groups, since its inception. Privacy concerns have also been raised. OrkutTM users previously had the ability to see any other user’s profile information, regardless of whether that person was included in their network or not. Access to profile information and other content can now be restricted using various privacy settings.
Orkut includes the following features:
- You can upload photos and videos.
- You can promote YouTube videos as well.
- Keep a scrapbook that resembles a blog, with every “scrap” including a photo and your post.
- You can update your status on your homepage so that others know what you’re doing or thinking.
- You can send messages to a single friend or to a group of friends.
- Post testimonials on Orkut to establish friends’ credibility.
- Click the Online friend’s panel at the bottom of your browser window to expand it, and use Google chat, which includes your Orkut friends and any other Google contacts.
Main Differences Between Facebook and Orkut
- Meta platforms own Facebook, whereas Google owns Orkut.
- As Facebook looks more professional, finished, and lively than Orkut, its aesthetics are considered better.
- Other than the intended feature, Facebook also offers its users several other applications, such as games. Orkut does not offer these features.
- You cannot categorize your Facebook friends into close friends, acquaintances, other friends, etc, whereas you can on Orkut.
- On Facebook, your profile can only be seen by friends/followers, but on Orkut, everyone can see it.
We can benefit from technology in so many ways. Being able to contact people far away from us can be a blessing, and social networking sites play a huge part in this. Facebook and Orkut are popular platforms for this. People can keep in touch with their friends and family, even if they live so far apart. It was clear that one site was selected over the other due to the differences between the two. Facebook’s superior look and features attracted people to it. It had such an impact on the user base that Orkut had to close down in 2014.