“How” vs “Why”
Human beings communicate through language, they express themselves by saying things, what they speak and how they speak is language.
Language is the medium for communication, it can be either spoken or written. Sentences are formed as per the requirement.
Every language has its own vocabulary, grammar, expressions, etc., which enables people to communicate. Even the disable people like deaf, blind or mute people have their own sign language to communicate.
There are around 6,500 languages in the world like english, Hindi,french, german,etc..Every language contains different expressions and for those expressions there are different words used.
Conversation between two people is composition of not just sentences but an alignment of questions and answers.
People ask questions and then receive answers, this is the basic methodology of any conversation. All languages have their own grammar structure, but the feelings and expressions totally depend on the person.
In english there are interrogative sentences mentioned in grammar which mention ways of asking different questions. The difference between “How” and “Why” is their usage. Both of them are used as interrogative words but the ways they are being used is different.
Comparison Table Between How and Why (in Tabular Form)
|Parameters of Comparison||How||Why|
|Usage||Used when procedure is asked.||Used when the purpose is asked|
|Interjection||Can be used as an interjection.||Cannot be used as interjection.|
|Exclamation||Can used as an exclamation||Cannot be used as an exclamation.|
|Other usage||Cannot be used in acceptance of suggestions.||Can be used in accepting suggestions.|
|Expression||Can be used to greet.||Not such a polite word.|
What is “How”?
“How” is an interrogative word used in situations where the person is asking about the ‘way’ or ‘manner’. “How” is an adverb.
When “how” is used in a sentence it refers to the question of the procedure, the manner or way of occurrence.
For example, a person asks ‘how to be a chef?’Then the person asks about the procedure to become a chef.
Some more examples
- How to cook?
- How did you reduce weight?
- How did you make these cookies?
- How to be a makeup artist?
“How” is used when a question is asked, and grammatically every interrogative sentence ends with “question mark”.
“How” is also used as an exclamation as well, in such sentences end with an exclamation mark instead of a question mark, For example:-
- How beautiful!
- How melodious he sings!
- How cute these kittens are!
- How nice of him!
“How” is used in a polite manner to greet people in general term, for example:
- How are you?
- How are you doing?
- How do you do?
“How” is used as conventional terms as well, wherein attention is seeked or the opinion is asked, for example:
- How about you?
- How about making this more colorful?
- How about going to the same place?
“How” is used in phrases as well, for example:
- How so?
- Here’s how!
- How now?
- How much?
What is “Why”?
“Why” is an interrogative word used in questions where the person is asking about the reason of occurrence of a particular incident or something else.
“Why” is an adverb used in a question, it is also used as a reference to a reason, for example: this is why she did not come back.
“Why” is used in interrogative form, for example:-
- Why didn’t you come?
- Why is she upset?
- Why did you do that?
- Why were you absent?
Why can be used in sentences giving reasons for example :
- That is why I don’t like her much.
- This is the reason why I don’t go out.
Why can be used as expressing annoyance, for example:
- Stop doing that.
- Why should i ?
- Where are you going?
- Why should I tell you?
Why is also used in sentences making suggestions, for example:
- Why don’t we try that brown shade of this lipstick.
- Why don’t you go out and chill?
Why is also used in sentences in agreeing with the suggestions, for example:
- Will you come to the party with us?
- Yeah sure, why not? I would love to join you people.
- Can you help me in the kitchen?
- Why not? Tell me what I can do?
“Why” is used in phrases as well, for example :
- Why so?
- For why?
- Why me?
- Why you?
Main Differences Between “How” and “Why”
- “How” is used when the procedure of occurrence is asked, on the other hand “why” is used when the purpose of any occurrence is asked.
- “How” can be used as interjection but “why” cannot be used as interjection.
- “How” can be used as an exclamation on the other hand “why” cannot be used as an exclamation.
- “Why” is often used in sentences where suggestions are accepted but “how” is not used that way.
- “How” can be used in sentences where people are being greeted in a polite manner but “why” is not used in such sentences.
Both “how” and “why” are interrogative adverbs, both of them are even used as adjectives and conjunctions.
“How” and “why” are from the WH family. They both are used in different forms to give meaning to sentences.
Their usage is different from each other. Both of them are used to enquire about something in different situations and can be used formally or informally.