Though as per the United Nations there are 241 countries around the world, the USA recognizes fewer than 200 countries. By these two data, the total number of recognized countries around the world can be said to be 196.
Out of these 196 countries, all of them have different names and different cultures hence why they are differentiated from one another. out of the 196 recognized countries, it is possible for two or more areas to be similar and thus having similar names. For example, New Mexico of the USA and the country of Mexico.
Mexico vs New Mexico
The difference between Mexico and New Mexico is that while Mexico is a country and has a presidential system with a president as the authority yielder, New Mexico is only a state of the USA and is ruled by the governor of the state.
Mexico is a North American country that lies to the south of the United States of America. The first language of the country is Spanish but there is also a presence of 67 other languages in the country. They are famous for their margaritas and long stretches of beautiful beaches.
New Mexico is a state in the United States of America and lies in the western and southern regions of the USA. The languages spoken in this state are Spanish and English. It got its name in the 16th century by the Spanish emperor of that time. Many famous landmarks in New Mexico are often spots for tourism.
Comparison Table between Mexico and New Mexico
|Parameters of Comparison||Mexico||New Mexico|
|Meaning||Is a country||Is a state in the USA|
|Location||North America that lies to the south of the USA||Western and Southern regions of the USA|
|Borders||Guatemala, Caribbean sea, USA, Belize and the Gulf of Mexico||It is a state and borders with other states of the USA.|
|Government||The federal government with a presidential system||Government of the state with a governor|
|Languages||Spanish and 67 other languages||Spanish and English.|
|Flag||Tri-colour flag with red, green and white with a coat of an arm.||Red and golden colour with Zia symbol to represent Spanish|
What is Mexico?
Mexico is a country that lies in North America and covers an area of 1,972,550 km2. It shares its borders with the USA, the Caribbean sea, Guatemala, Belize and the Gulf of Mexico.
It has a population of 118,395,054 and has a vast culture with 68 languages being spoken by the native people. The first language of this country is Spanish.
They celebrate their independence on 16 September with Mexico city as their new capital city. This was when they achieved their independence against the Spanish empire in 1810.
Since it is a country, it has a republic and democratic government that follows the presidential system.
What is New Mexico?
New Mexico is a state of the USA that lies in the southern and the western regions, covering an area of 315,194 km2. It shares its state borders with Texas, Oklahoma, Sonora and the Mexican state Chihuahua.
It is the sixth-largest populated state of the USA with a total population of 2,085,538. But the main languages spoken by the native people are English and Spanish.
They were officially named as New Mexico by a Spanish Emperor in the 16th century, even though this name was already in use by the travellers. It was first claimed so by the explorers who were seeking gold in Mexico but came across this place.
The capital city if New Mexico is Santa Fe.
Main Differences Between Mexico and New Mexico
- Mexico is a country whereas New Mexico is a state in the United States of America.
- They are both located in different places as they are in different areas. Mexico lies in North America that is south of the United States of America whereas New Mexico is the western and southern regions of the USA.
- Mexico borders with Guatemala and the Caribbean sea to their west, the USA to the north, Belize to their south-east and the Gulf of Mexico to their east. The borders of New Mexico is shared with other states of the USA.
- Since Mexico is a country, they have a republic and democratic government with a presidential system i.e., the highest rank is a president. But New Mexico is ruled by the governor of the state.
- Though the main language of both these places is Spanish, 67 other languages are spoken by the Mexicans of Mexico. Whereas the only other language is spoken in New Mexico in English.
- Both of them have their flags that are different from one another. The flag of New Mexico is a red and golden colour to represent Spanish along with a Zia symbol. The flag of Mexico is tri-coloured with red, green and white. There is also a coat of arms at the centre of the white portion.
196 countries around the world are differentiated based on several things mainly, culture, language and people. It is still possible for two places belonging to different countries being similar and being named after one another. New Mexico and Mexico are two such places.
Mexico is a North American country that lies to the south of the USA. They are known for their long beaches and margarita drinks. They have many famous tourist spots as well. Mexico got its independence in 1810 from Spanish after the Mexican war.
New Mexico is a state that is located on the southern and western regions of the USA. Since it is a state, it is ruled by the governor of the state. There are mainly two languages spoken by the people of this state: English and Spanish. It got its name from a Spanish emperor during the 16th century.
New Mexico got its name from the Spanish emperor because the explorers who were coming from Mexico for gold had found similarities and had started to call it as such. Apart from the name and language, both are one of the best places around the world for travellers and tourists.
Table of Contents