Muay Thai is considered a form of boxing. However, when we see two players from Muay Thai and Thai Boxing, respectively, we tend to get confused.
They differ quite greatly in the game, and it is sometimes hard to find a relationship between them. Both of them are very demanding martial arts.
Hence, if someone is into the idea of martial arts, it is very important to study them separately. This is mainly to know their distinct rules and features.
They do have a lot of similarities and also a lot of differences to be distinct from each other. Starting from their origin to focus, they are two individual games.
It is always interesting to know and learn more about them; we shall do so in this article.
- Muay Thai is a traditional martial art originating in Thailand, while Thai boxing is a modern sport with similar techniques.
- Muay Thai emphasizes using elbows and knees in addition to punches and kicks, unlike Thai boxing, which only focuses on punches and kicks.
- Thai boxing has stricter rules and regulations, whereas Muay Thai is more lenient, allowing for a wider range of techniques.
Muay Thai vs Thai Boxing
Muay Thai is Thailand’s national sport, incorporating traditional Thai martial arts aspects. Thai Boxing refers to the sport as it is done globally, with modified rules to stress safety.
Muay Thai originated in Thailand. The rules of the game include kicking as well as punching. Hence, the players can maintain a safe distance during the fight. This is considered an advantage of Muay Thai.
On the other hand, Thai Boxing originated in England. The rules of the game include only punching. Hence, the fighter can not maintain a safe distance during the fight. This is considered a disadvantage of Thai Boxing.
|Parameters of Comparison
|It was originated in Thailand.
|It was originated in England.
|It involves hands, feet as well as elbow.
|It only includes fists.
|Muay Thai focuses on flexibility and strength.
|Thai Boxing focuses on strength training.
|Players tend to focus on a straight angle.
|Players constantly change their angles.
|Players can maintain a safe distance from the opponent by using their feet.
|The distance between the player and the opponent is minimum.
What is Muay Thai?
Muay Thai includes certain elements of boxing. However, that does not mean that the method is similar to boxing. The focus and approach are completely different.
It has comparatively a lot more advantages. However, it is very tough to learn and requires a lot of skills and dedication. The greatest advantage of Muay Thai is that it can maintain a safe distance from its opponent.
Besides the fist, it can also make use of hands and knees. Hence, the players can combat their opponents from a fair distance. They can make use of their feet which does not require close interaction.
The practice of Muay Thai is solely based on flexibility and speed. This is a distinct ground and focuses as well. It is a kind of martial art that aims for body and muscle flexibility.
It includes more methods since more than one body part is involved.
What is Thai Boxing?
We are quite familiar with the term ‘boxing.’ It refers to a sport that includes a kind of wrestling. Boxing is further divided into several categories. Thai Boxing is a famous one among them.
It involves two players as the opponent of each other. The contest between the two is mainly based on strength and endurance. It is a very effective practice for self-defense in real life.
It requires a lot of effort and dedication however is easier to learn. It involves fewer rules and methods and thus takes less time to get skilled. This particular sport needs a lot of focus and practice on the footwork.
However, according to the rule, one can only make use of their fists during the game. Thus, the player can not maintain a very safe distance from the opponent since the contact requires a hand.
This is considered one of the disadvantages as well as risk.
The main difference Between Muay Thai and Thai Boxing
- The main difference between Muay Thai and Thai Boxing is the kin of movements and body parts involved during the game. Muay Thai includes hands, feet as well as elbows. In contrast, Thai Boxing uses only the fist.
- The next unique difference is their focus on fitness. Muay Thai focuses on flexibility and strength. On the other hand, Thai Boxing solely focuses on strength training.
- Considering the level, Muay Thai requires much time and dedication to be skilled. It involves more steps and rules. Thai Boxing is comparatively easier and can be learned in a short period.
- The angle of approach in the game is yet another point to be noted. In Muay Thai, players tend to focus on a straight angle. However, in Thai Boxing, the players constantly change their angles.
- In Muay Thai, the player can maintain a safe distance while defending the opponent. It is considered an advantage. In the case of Thai Boxing, the distance is minimum since players can only make use of their fists.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.