There are so many dishes in the world that cannot be counted or listed collectively. All of them have their unique tastes, texture, spices, smell, and many other things. Even several cuisines are famous due to their delicious and mouth-watering tastes. While every cuisine is unique in its own way, some dishes from different cuisines have a lot of similarities.
Among them are the Indian and Thai Curry. Curry is said to be an Indian dish that contains herbs, spices, curry leaves, and many other things and has a liquid consistency. Both Thai and Indian curries are similar but have different ingredients.
Thai vs Indian Curry
The main difference between Thai and Indian Curry is Thai Curry is like a soup, whereas Indian Curry is like Stew. They both can have different tastes as Thai Curry contains lemongrass and basil that are not most likely to be present in Indian Curry. Also, Thai Curry can have some non-vegetarian ingredients such as chicken, fish, or meat, etc., but Indian Curry is mostly vegetarian. Both of the dishes also differ in terms of spices, dairy content, side dishes, freshness, etc.
Thai Curry is a dish from Thai cuisines. It is a type of curry with soup consistency. It is made with vegetables, meat, spices, herbs, etc. some people used coconut water and fruits too. It is enjoyed as a soup in most of the world. Fresh vegetables and fruits are added to it, along with lemongrass and basil. There are several varieties of Thai Curry that are enjoyed all over the world.
Indian curry is a curry made from all the Indian herbs and spices. It is enjoyed with rice or chappati the most. It is rich in many nutrition contents and contains turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds, saffron, etc., in every part of India. There is a variety of Indian curry that is enjoyed by the local people. It is considered to be one of the healthy meals.
Comparison Table Between Thai and Indian Curry
|Parameters of Comparison||Thai Curry||Indian Curry|
|Spices||lemongrass and basil, etc.||turmeric, cumin, coriander, etc|
|Dairy Content||It does not contain a dairy ingredient.||The high amount of dairy ingredients.|
|Freshness||More fresh||Less fresh|
|Need for a side dish||Can be eaten alone||Need rice or some side dish|
What is Thai Curry?
Thai Curry comes in many varieties that include the following;
- Sweet Green Curry: it is the hottest curry of all types and is considered to be the most delicious due to the presence of lemon juice and coconut water. Along with it contains eggplant, green chilies, and a green sauce. The green sauce is made with basil, green chilis, blue ginger, lime leaves, garlic, shallots, and turmeric. The color of the curry is green due to the sauce.
- Red Curry: it was originated in central Thailand. An excessive amount of red chilies is the reason for its red color. Apart from the chilies, garlic, blue ginger, and lemongrass are also added to it. After that, the paste is made by mixing all these ingredients with coconut milk.
- Yellow Curry: yellow curry comes in several varieties, such as coconut milk curry, gold curry, elephant curry, etc. some of them are spicy, some are sour, in some coconut milk is added, along with cumin seeds and kaffir. But the common ingredient in all of them is Haldi or Turmeric Powder.
- Massaman Curry: it is extracted from Indian curry; the paste of this curry is made from red chilies, garlic, cardamom, lemongrass, ginger, etc. After that kaffir lime and coconut milk are added along with the topping of peanut or potatoes.
- Panang Curry: it mostly loved in central Thailand. It is less spicy as compared to other curries and made from dried chilies, lemongrass, coconut milk, garlic, blue ginger, cumin, and then paste is made. It may or may not contain peanuts.
What is Indian Curry?
Indian curry is a type of food that is enjoyed in most of the part of the world; it is among the spices and most delicious food. Curry itself is known to be originated in India. It can either be vegetarian and non-vegetarian depends upon the personal choice.
Indian is a country with several regions and people with different tastes, for example, in Indian itself, most of the states have their special type of Curry, such as in south India Sambar is the most enjoyed curry while in northern part people prefer palak paneer or masala chicken both of these dishes have their type of curry with their different ingredients.
Indian curry is beneficial for health, too, as it contains several healthy spices and vegetables that help in bodily growth and make the immune system stronger. Also, Indian Curry is an ideal choice for gaining weight as most of the curries are high in calories and fats. For example, non-vegetarian curries are high in calories due to meat or chicken and also contain dairy products.
Indian curry is not enjoyed by those who do not like spicy food or prefer simpler food.
Main Differences Between Thai and Indian Curry
- Both the dishes have a different consistency. Thai Curry is like soup with a very light consistency that can be enjoyed without dipping it, whereas, in comparison, Indian Curry has a thicker consistency and is more like a stew.
- Both of them are prepaid using similar ingredients, while for Indian Curry, turmeric, cumin, coriander, hing, garam masala plays an important role. In Thai curry, they are used along with lemongrass and basil to have a balance between spices and herbs that are not used in Indian Curry.
- Indian Curry contains a high amount of Dairy Products such as ghee, curd, etc., to make it more creamy and smooth, whereas all these ingredients and sauces are not added in Thai Curry. Therefore it has less or no amount of dairy products.
- Indian curry is mostly dependent upon the herbs and spices; very less of or no vegetables are added to it, whereas fresh vegetables play an important role in the case of Thai Curry. Therefore when compare, Thai curry is relatively fresher than Indian Curry.
- Due to its thick consistency, Indian Curry is not preferred to be eaten alone; it is always eaten with a side dish such as rice or chappati, whereas Thai Curry being light like a soup, can be enjoyed without any side dish.
Both of them are from different places but on the same continent. Both of them have their taste and spices; it depends upon the consumer which he prefers the most. But if someone prefers vegan food, Thai curry is a more suitable option, and if someone is vegetarian, Indian curry is relatively a better option.
Despite all their differences, both of them are enjoyed many because of their flavors. Both curries have different varieties, too, as Indian curry can also have non-vegetarian ingredients, etc.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
Table of Contents