Monkeys are almost everywhere and present in various countries worldwide. Mainly monkeys are classified into two types, namely old world and new world monkeys. Old world monkeys are mainly originated from African and Asian regions, while new world monkeys are originated from America. Various factors differentiate these two types of monkeys from one another.
Old World Monkey vs New World Monkey
The main difference between the old world monkeys and new world monkeys is that old world monkeys are found in Africa and Asia, and they belong to the Cercopithecidae family. This type of monkey spends most of its time on the ground. New world monkeys, on the other side, are found in America and belong to five different families. These monkeys have a prehensile tail that helps them to easily hold the object.
Old world monkeys majorly belong to one family that is directly related to apes and called Cercopithecidae. These monkeys have a narrow raised nose, hard and colored sitting pads. They live in various habitat that includes rainforest and dry plain. Old-world monkeys generally carry their babies on their bellies while moving from one place to another.
New world monkeys are flat-nosed and mainly found in America. This type of monkey is comprised of five families. They have prehensile tails that consequently help them to grasp and hold the object. New world monkeys are generally found in South America, especially the rainforest of the Amazon. This type of monkey has various subtypes depending on its size.
Comparison Table Between Old World Monkey and New World Monkey
|Parameters of Comparison||Old World Monkey||New World Monkey|
|Origin||Africa and Asia||America|
|Body Size||Their body size varies from medium to large.||Their body size varies from small to medium.|
|Tail||They have a non-grasping tail that does not allow them to hold any object.||They have a prehensile tail that helps them to conveniently grasp any object.|
|Ears||The tympanic membrane of their ear is connected by a bony tube.||The tympanic membrane of their ear is connected by a bony ring.|
|Teeth||They have eight premolars.||They have twelve premolars.|
|Hands||They have opposite thumbs with fingernails and toenails.||Their thumb aligns in the same plain but they do not have fingernails.|
|Diet||Their diet includes plants, omnivores, small animals, and insects.||Their diet includes berries, nuts, and insects.|
|Family||Old World monkeys belong to the Cercopithecidae family.||They are comprised of five families.|
What is Old World Monkey?
They are majorly found in Asia and Africa. This includes monkeys like baboons, guenons, patas, mandrills, colobus monkeys, etc. They vary from medium to large size. They have a narrow nose with nostrils. Old World Monkeys have a thumb which is located opposite to the other fingers and help them to hold and grab the objects easily.
Even these monkeys fall into two broad types or subdivide in Colobinae and Cercopithecinae families. Monkeys from colobine have a four or three-chambered stomach in which fermentation takes place and consequently enriches the food. Langur and colobus monkeys are an example of the Colobinae subdivision. Cercopithecinae, on the other side, has the cheek pouches that facilitate these monkeys to store food. Guenons, baboons are an example of Cercopithecinae.
What is New World Monkey?
New World Monkeys are existed in America and are comprised of five families, including Cebidae, Atelidae, Callitrichidae, Aotidae, and Pitheciidae. They have a prehensile tail that consequently helps them to conveniently hold and grasp objects.
They have twelve premolar teeth and are found in small to medium size. They do not have fingernails and mainly include nuts, insects, and berries in their diet. They have twelve premolars, and their thumb aligns in the same plain, but they do not have fingernails. The tympanic membrane of their ear is connected by a bony ring.
Main Differences Between Old World Monkey and New World Monkey
- They exist in different parts of the world. Old World category of monkeys is from Asia and Africa, while New World is found in America.
- Old World Monkey vary from medium to large size. But New World Monkeys are found in small and medium-sizes. They do not grow up to a large size and are majorly found in the rainforest areas.
- The tail of Old World and New World Monkeys vary from each other differently. New World Monkeys have a prehensile tail that helps them to easily grasp and hold the object in their tail while Old World Monkey does not have a prehensile tail, they have a non-grasping tail, but their thumb is located opposite to the other fingers that eventually help them to hold and grab the objects conveniently.
- New World Monkey has additional premolars as compared to the Old World Monkey. They have twelve premolars, while on the contrary, Old World Monkeys has only eight premolars.
- Old World Monkey and New World Monkey are belong to different families. Old World Monkey belongs to only one family, i.e., Cercopithecidae, but New World Monkey, on the other side, is comprised of five families, namely Cebidae, Atelidae, Callitrichidae, Aotidae, and Pitheciidae.
- Old World and New World Monkeys consume different foods that constitute their diet. Old World Monkeys consume plants, omnivores, small animals, and insects. On the contrary, New World Monkeys include berries, nuts, and insects in their food.
Various species of monkeys are found worldwide that vary from each other in one or another way and exist in different parts of the world. Old World Monkeys exist specifically in two countries, i.e., Asia and Africa, while New World Monkeys are found in America. Although these animals belong or share the same title of ‘monkey’ but still every species varies from each other uniquely and differently.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
Table of Contents