The plush mattress is often a favoured alternative to the firm and extra-firm varieties. Due to its softer feel, a plush mattress falls between the firm and pillow-top mattress spectrum.
However, the pillow-top mattress is fluffier and much softer when compared to the plush variety.
- Plush mattresses have a softer surface feel, while pillow-top beds have an extra layer of padding on top.
- Plush mattresses offer more pressure relief for side sleepers, while pillow-top mattresses offer more cushioning for back sleepers.
- Plush mattresses are generally less expensive than pillow-top mattresses due to the additional padding layer.
Plush vs Pillow Top
Plush mattresses are soft and comfortable, often with a sink-in feeling, with more cushioning foam than firmer mattresses. Pillow-top mattresses have an additional layer of cushioning material sewn onto the top of the mattress, creating a soft, pillow-like layer on the surface.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Pillow-top mattresses have an additional layer of padding that makes them extra fluffy and cosy.
On the other hand, a plush mattress is designed with several layers of quilting under its original top layer, making it a favourable combination of the most desirable features of both firm and soft foam mattresses.
|Parameters of Comparison||Plush||Pillow Top|
|Texture||Plush mattresses are comfortable yet comparatively firmer than pillow-top mattresses.||Pillow-top mattresses are softer than plush mattresses.|
|Structure||Plush mattresses have a few extra inches of padding under the top layer. This extra layer covers the internal springs and coils and offers comfort and firmness.||Pillow-top mattresses have extra layers of cushioning-much like pillows- that offer the fluffy, soft feel these mattresses are famed for.|
|Thickness||Plush mattresses are not as thick as pillow tops.||Pillow-top mattresses are extremely thick due to the extra cushioning.|
|Cost||Plush mattresses are more cost-effective than pillow tops.||Pillow tops are costlier than plush mattresses.|
|Durability||Plush mattresses are much more durable than pillow tops. They can be overturned easily to prolong their longevity.||Pillow tops offer skewed durability. They cannot be overturned when the top surface is damaged.|
|Lumbar Support||The comparatively firm plush mattress base offers much better lumbar support.||Pillow tops do not offer good lumbar support.|
What is Plush?
Plush mattresses represent the perfect blend of firmness and comfort. They are constructed with almost 4 extra inches of quilting to offer a soft, comfortable feel without compromising the back support these mattresses offer.
This extra layer of foam holds together a plush mattress’s internal springs and coils. These mattresses are famed for their prolonged durability and moderate thickness. Their sturdy design makes them economical one-time investments.
Moreover, plush mattresses can be easily overturned to extend their resilience effectively. These mattresses have the same quilting on both sides of the internal springs and coils, making both sides equally suitable for use.
People often opt for such mattresses to avoid lumbar problems without compromising the comfort of relaxing on a soft mattress.
What is Pillow Top?
Pillow-top mattresses are infamous for their soft feathery feel resulting from the few extra layers of cushioning added to the mattress’s top layer. Their higher costs are also attributed to this additional fluffy layer.
The true merit of a pillow-top mattress is hidden in its excessively comfy, fluffy, and supple design. People choose these mattresses due to their malleability. Pillow-top mattresses do have some very conspicuous pitfalls.
Indentations often develop on these mattresses due to their prolonged use, compromising their comfort provision features as well as their durability. Moreover, as extremely soft mattresses, they may be a poor choice for people with back problems.
Main Differences Between Plush and Pillow Top
- The main difference between plush and pillow-top mattresses is that the former are firmer than the latter. Plush mattresses are comfortable yet a little more rigid when compared to pillow-top mattresses. Pillow tops are as soft as pillows, offering individuals a relaxed sleeping experience.
- A plush mattress is made with extra layers of padding and quilting that make it firm without compromising on the comfort level they offer. Pillow-top mattresses are made with extra layers of soft cushioning on top -much like pillows- that makes them excessively soft and malleable.
- Another important difference between these two types of mattresses is the cost-effectiveness of each variety. Plush mattresses are priced at a relatively lower price point than pillow-top mattresses. The price of the latter is higher due to the extra layers of cushioning they provide.
- The lumbar support each variety provides is also quite contrary to the other. Plush mattresses offer better back support and may be better suited for people with lumbar ailments. A pillow-top mattress- owing to its excessively soft structure- does not offer much support to the spinal cord.
- The extra foam padding protects a plush mattress from the regular wear and tear of usage. It can also be flipped in case the upper surface gets damaged. However, a pillow-top mattress cannot be overturned as the pillow cushioning is provided only on the top surface of such mattresses.
- Plush mattresses are thinner than pillow-top mattresses. Due to the extra pillow cushioning, pillow tops are thicker than plush mattresses that do not have the same cushioning.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.