Listen audio version
The need to express oneself has been a challenge to many around the world while it has been a sense of comfort for the ones who have found the right way to express themselves. One can express themselves through paintings, art forms like dance and music.
Music is one of the major ways of expressing one’s raw emotions that the listeners often relate themselves with. The comfort and entertainment that music gives an individual are replaceable. Music can be rapping or singing. But why are different even though they are both for expressing oneself?
Singing vs Rapping
The difference between Singing and Rapping is that for singing, it is not necessary to always be accompanied by beats. But rapping, on the other hand, is always accompanied by beats.
Singing is the creation of musical sound with the help of pitch, rhythm and beat. Singing also depends on the notes of each line and they have a specific tone that is necessary to achieve to express the emotion right.
Rapping focuses on the rhyming and words along with the vernacular language use in them. The profanity in the language is used to show the rawness of the emotions of the individuals. Rapping is always accompanied by beats.
Comparison Table Between Singing and Rapping
|Parameters of Comparison||Singing||Rapping|
|Meaning||Creation of musical sound with the help of pitch, rhythm and beat||Rapping is described as the rhyming the words to the given beats.|
|Expressing||The feelings and emotions of the song are rather expressed through the music rather than words while singing||The feelings are expressed extensively through words and the beats that are syncing with the song. They also do not have any strict rules.|
|Beats||It is not necessary for singing to always be accompanied by a beat.||The raps depend on the given beats for each of them.|
|Focus||Singing focuses on the pitch, the notes and the voice. Their main focus lies on the notes||Rapping only focuses on the rhythms and the words being rhymed with the beats|
|Performing||Singing is usually done in a formal environment like church choirs but can also be used in parties.||They have a profanity language and are normally used in parties and clubs because of their upbeat rhythm.|
What is Singing?
Singing is the process of creating musical sound with the help of variations in the pitch, tone and rhythm of the song. They are most expressive of their emotions through the music itself and not only through the words.
Though singing also requires rhyming, it is more for the flow of the music for creating beautiful memories. Singing was initially done for entertaining and calming the listeners. Singing is done in a legato fashion, unlike rapping.
Controlling breathing is very important in singing and singers to have mastered it. They can control every aspect of breathing to be able to control the other important aspects of making music like pitch and tone. They can change the pitch and tones instantly.
Singing also has a wider octave. Rapping needs only one octave whereas singing often requires a minimum of two octaves.
What is Rapping?
Rapping is a musical form. It involves rhyming, rhythm and street vernacular language. Most raps are known to have a profane language because of the rawness of the emotions carried by each rap.
Rapping is accompanied by catchy beats that are required to rhyme with the words being used. During rapping, the emotions and feelings of the composer or the writer are solely expressed through words. But rapping does not have any strict rules like singing.
A rapper has to use the right breathing technique for sustenance, projection and resonance. They can also be considered slightly tougher than singer because of their speed and complex rhythm.
Pitching and controlling the tone is not as defined as in singing. Their main focus is only in rhyming and not in notes and pitches of each note.
Difference Between Rapping and Singing
- Rapping is often described as speaking but it is much beyond that. Rapping is rhyming skills and making words rhyme to the given upbeat tune. Singing is often seen as the creation of musical sound with variations in pitch, rhythm, and beat.
- Expressing one’s emotions is done differently with the help of the two. Rapping expresses the emotions of the writer or an individual through their words are often seen to have profane language because of the raw emotions the words carry. Singing often expresses the emotions through the music rather than the words.
- Rapping depends majorly on the beats given by the musician or composer of the rap. On the other hand, it is not necessary for singing to be accompanied by beats. Many songs do not need beats but rather just a soft tune playing as they are made to comfort and calm the listeners.
- Rapping focuses solely on the rhyming and the synchronization of the words with the beats given for the song. Though singing is also dependent on rhyming, they are mainly focused on the notes. Singing is also determined by the pitch and tone used by the singer.
- Singing and Rapping also have different performing areas. Singing, having a decent language, is done in many formal situations or occasions like birthday parties, church choirs, etc., but also is done in parties for entertainment. Rapping is usually heard in parties and clubs that require grooving tunes.
Singing and rapping are two different types of music creations. Though music, in general, is used for expressing oneself while entertaining and relaxing the listeners, it is the way this is done that differentiates the two. They have different techniques for expressing emotions.
Rapping is a music type that uses rhyming and words for expressing oneself. They have uplifting and grooving beats to accompany the words, so they are often played in clubs and parties.
Singing, on the other hand, is the type of music that is supposed to be a source of relaxation for the listeners. They express emotions with the music itself and not just through one aspect of the song. Apart from parties, they are also played in church choirs and formal gatherings.
The difference between the two also lies in the techniques used by them especially the breathing techniques.
- Rap and singing are used by music therapists to enhance emotional self-regulation of youth: Results of a survey of music therapists in the Netherlands – ScienceDirect
- Rap & Singing for emotional and cognitive development of at-risk-children (google.com)
Table of Contents