Human anatomy has really brought us to the limelight when everyone talks about either the stomach or abdomen. So to keep it 100, we affirm that human anatomy certainly plays a big part in this discourse.
It is the key factor to any medical study in a way to perceive the structures and functions of the human body parts. Moreover, this helps in the fields of healing and others.
- The abdomen is the entire area between the chest and pelvis, while the stomach is an organ located in the upper part of the abdomen.
- The abdomen contains many organs, including the stomach, liver, pancreas, and intestines, while the stomach breaks down food.
- Pain in the abdomen can originate from various organs, while stomach pain refers explicitly to discomfort in the stomach organ.
Abdomen vs Stomach
The abdomen is part of the body between the chest and the pelvis, containing most of the tubelike organs of the digestive tract, along with several solid organs. The stomach is a specific organ located within the abdomen, involved in the second phase of digestion following mastication (chewing).
The abdomen is the part between the chest and pelvis in humans. The area occupied by the abdomen is termed the abdominal cavity. Considering the aforementioned area, this is where the stomach is situated.
The absorption and digestion of food, breathing, movement, posture, and balance are the functions of the abdomen.
On the contrary, the stomach is an organ located in the gastrointestinal tract of humans and a few animals. It is an essential organ during the digestive system, as it involves the second stage of digestion, prior to the chewing bit.
The stomach functions by breaking the chemical components by enzymes and hydrochloric acids present in it.
|Parameters of Comparison
|The abdomen is one of a part of the human body and other vertebrates, which occurs between the chest and pelvis. The abdomen contains major digestive parts of the body.
|The stomach is a muscular organ part, which locates on the left side of the upper abdomen of a body. The stomach emits acid and enzymes the digested food.
|There are nine layers in the abdomen- skin, superficial fascia, subcutaneous tissues, transversus muscles, transversalis fascia, preperitoneal adipose, areolar tissue, peritoneum, external and internal oblique muscle.
|There are three layers in the stomach- Souter longitudinal, inner oblique muscles, and the middle circular.
|The abdomen plays a vital role inside a body- muscular movements which process breathing, form a better posture and impede hyperextension.
|The stomach plays a major part in digesting the food, storing the food for two hours in the esophagus and breaking down the food particles by contracting the muscle layers in the stomach.
|The abdomen is accumulated within a space between the thorax and pelvis of a body, which consists of the stomach, gladder, pancreas, liver, small and large intestines.
|The stomach has occurred on the left side of the upper abdomen, which contains serosa, muscularis, mucosa, submucosa, and three layers of muscles.
|Gastrointestinal diseases GERD cause cramping, a disorder that induces abdominal pain in changes in bowel movements.
|The stomach can engender diseases such as Gastroparesis, gastritis, Non-Ulcer Dyspepsia, Peptic Ulcer, and various Stomach cancers.
What is Abdomen?
Conversely, the abdomen is situated between the thorax and pelvis of the human body. It is also known as belly often.
Moreover, the abdomen is the home for all the digestive organs, including the stomach, small, large intestines, pancreas, liver, and gallbladder. Besides, it also consists of kidneys and gleens.
Besides, the abdomen plays a crucial role in the human body, as it is essential for breathing, digestion, posture, movement, and balance. The abdomen also counts in the urinary system, spleen, and abdominal muscles, apart from the digestion system.
In the abstract, the abdominal muscles bolster the organs by their internal pressure, eventually forming a core muscle to maintain your body stable and well-balanced and shield the spine.
Further, many gastrointestinal diseases are inclined to affect any part of the abdomen, possibly due to infection, abnormal tumours, inflammation, obstruction, and intestinal disorders.
Additionally, germs in the throat, intestines, and blood can engender bacteria to invade your digestive area, resulting in abdominal pain. However, a hearty diet and regular exercise can assist you to overcome the hazards.
What is Stomach?
The stomach is a Greek word, implicating the mouth of the mouth. The muscular as well as the hollow organ in the human body, which plays a salient role in the digestion system, is regarded as the stomach.
Initially, the foods are stored in the stomach that has come from the oesophagus. Following that, it digests and breaks down the chemical components of the intake by the digestive enzymes, mucus, and hydrochloric acid present in it.
The exact spot of the stomach is between the oesophagus and the small intestine.
The shape of the stomach can be expanded depending on the quantity of the food. The maximum is two to four litres. The stomach has four divisions; Cardia, Fundus, main body, and pylorus.
Furthermore, the stomach lining absorbs water, medications, amino acids, 10-20% alcoholic substances, and water-soluble vitamins.
On the other hand, the stomach could cause deleterious diseases and conditions, such as pain, discomfort, digestion problems, stomach cancer, flu, and even death. Accordingly, these problems can be impeded by a proper and healthy diet.
Main Differences Between Abdomen and Stomach
- The abdomen is a digestive system part which locates between the thorax (chest) and pelvis of a body. On the other hand, the stomach is one of the organs in the abdomen, which occurs on the left side of the upper abdomen.
- The abdomen has nine layers: skin, superficial fascia, subcutaneous tissues, preperitoneal adipose, areolar tissue, transverse muscles, transversalis fascia, peritoneum, and external and internal oblique muscle. In contrast, the stomach has three layers: outer longitudinal, inner oblique muscles and the middle circular.
- The Abdomen has the mechanism of processing breathing, forming posture and muscular movements. Albeit, the stomach deals with digesting the food and process enzymes.
- The abdomen can cause major diseases in your body, such as GERD- Gastrointestinal diseases. However, the stomach affects your digestion process and causes gastritis, Non-Ulcer Dyspepsia, Peptic Ulcer and various Stomach cancers.
- The abdomen contains- the stomach, gladder, pancreas, liver, small and large intestines between the thorax and pelvis. On the other side, the stomach consists of- serosa, muscularis, mucosa and submucosa and three layers of muscles in the upper abdomen on the left side.
Last Updated : 14 October, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.