Every person who possesses an iPhone but wants their mobile phone to be free from the various restrictions set by Apple can get their mobile phone jailbroken. Jailbreaking is the process and mechanism by which an individual can modify and update their iPhone’s software by voiding the warranty of one’s mobile phone.
Tethered vs Untethered Jailbreak
The main difference between tethered and untethered jailbreak is that tethered jailbreak helps in removing the set restrictions in an iPhone by connecting the iPhone with a computer and then by booting it using the jailbreak software. On the other hand, the untethered jailbreak effect is stable, due to which an individual can reboot his mobile phone without any concern.
Tethered jailbreaking is a temporary process in which, after the reset of the mobile phone, it is unable to achieve the complete boot process without connecting the mobile phone with a computer with the help of a physical wire link. In the case of tethered jailbreaks, power-downs and stagnant batteries are common.
Untethered jailbreaking is a permanent and one-time solution to make an iPhone free from all the restrictions set by Apple. In this process, the mobile phone does not require any computer to facilitate the booting process.
Comparison Table Between Tethered and Untethered Jailbreak
|Parameters of Comparison||Tethered Jailbreak||Untethered Jailbreak|
|Meaning||Tethered Jailbreaking refers to the process of removing the restrictions set by Apple in an iPhone by connecting the iPhone to a computer and then booting the mobile phone with the help of jailbreaking software.||Untethered jailbreaking refers to the process of removing the restrictions set by Apple in an iPhone simply by booting it without any connection with the computer.|
|State||Tethered jailbreak is a temporary mechanism, and mobile always needs to be connected to a computer.||Untethered jailbreak is a permanent and one-time mechanism.|
|How to Restart||The iPhone mobile must be attached to jailbreaking software on the computer for restarting.||The iPhone need not be connected to any computer. It needs a normal reboot.|
|Malware threat||The threat of malware and viruses is more in tethered jailbreaking as the device needs to be connected to the software.||The threat of malware and viruses is comparatively lesser in Untethered jailbreaking as the device needs not be connected to any computer.|
|Battery||The battery necessarily becomes dead in the case of tethering jailbreak.||The battery does not become dead in this process.|
What is Tethered Jailbreak?
Tethered jailbreak refers to the temporary jailbreak of a device with the help of a computer system and jailbreak software installed in it. For a device to start fully along with a patched kernel, the mobile phone must be jailbroken again with the help of a computer system.
The major advantages of Tethered jailbreaking are:-
- If an individual wants to get free from the restrictions of Apple, tethered jailbreaking is definitely better than not jailbreaking the device. The device will contain all the characteristics and hacks off an untethered jailbreak.
- It is one of the easiest and simplest ways to jailbreak a device as it takes minimum time and knowledge.
- It also provides a strong backup as all the applications and media files will remain protected.
The major disadvantages of tethered jailbreaks are:-
- One of the major disadvantages of tethered jailbreak is that the device will run out of battery, and the battery will become dead.
- One must have a laptop that needs to be connected while rebooting the device.
- It is a temporary solution and may not be as certain as untethered jailbreak.
- One must not play with apps and start using the mobile phone immediately after the whole process.
Limera1n and Blackra1n are the two most popular software that is used for tethered jailbreaks.
What is Untethered Jailbreak?
Untethered jailbreak refers to the process of removing the restrictions set by Apple in an iPhone by simply rebooting the mobile phone without connecting it with a computer system. It is a permanent one-time solution to the problem. The major advantages of Untethered jailbreak are:-
- Untethered jailbreak is more reliable and safe than tethered jailbreak as an untethered jailbreak. It is a one-time and permanent solution.
- There will be no change in the settings, and all the apps and files will be restored.
- This does not make the battery dead.
The major disadvantages of Untethered jailbreak are:-
- A person who is not sure about jailbreaking his device must not go for untethered jailbreak as it leads to the permanent removal of iPhone characteristics.
Most people prefer untethered jailbreaking as it is considered far more reliable and safe than a normally tethered jailbreak. It is highly recommended as it does not require any connection to the computer or laptop, due to which it is also protected from junk and viruses.
Main Differences Between Tethered and Untethered Jailbreak
- Tethered jailbreak refers to the process of removing restrictions from an iPhone set by Apple by connecting the device to a computer, whereas untethered jailbreak refers to the process of removing restrictions from an iPhone simply by rebooting the phone by following a simple process.
- Tethered jailbreak is a temporary mechanism, whereas untethered jailbreak is a permanent solution.
- The battery becomes completely dead in case of tethered jailbreak, whereas the battery survives and does not drain during the process of untethered jailbreak.
- The threat of viruses and malware is more in tethered jailbreak. On the other hand, the threat of viruses and malware in untethered jailbreaks is minimum.
- In tethered jailbreak, the device must be attached to the computer, whereas a device need not be connected to a computer in case of untethered jailbreak.
Both tethered and untethered jailbreak are methods to remove restrictions. Untethered jailbreak is a permanent solution, and hence it is widely preferred among a large number of people who have made up their minds for permanent jailbreaking.
Both the processes are considered safe and reliable. It is on the user to decide between both of them depending on his needs and desires. Both have various pros and cons which must be considered before usage.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
Table of Contents