In this world of developing technology, telecom operators, i.e., networks, are essential for communication, and some of the enormous telecom operators are – Vodafone and ‘Jio’.
Even though they belong to the same category, some significant discrepancies in various elements can still be observed.
- Vodafone is a British multinational telecommunications company with a global presence, while Jio is an Indian telecommunications company owned by Reliance Industries Limited.
- Jio has been a disruptive force in the Indian market, offering affordable and high-speed 4G services, while Vodafone has a more established international presence.
- Both companies provide telecommunications services, including mobile, broadband, and digital services, catering to different markets and customer segments.
Vodafone vs Jio
Vodafone is a mobile network company that operates in different countries and provides 2G-5G internet services depending on the country’s location. Jio is a digital service provider that operates in India. It gives 4G services along with many unlimited data offers. It has good voice call quality.
Vodafone was an admired network brand back in time. It does give good plans to the customers. Also, Vodafone and Idea have combined and are now known as V! – Vodafone Idea Limited, yet the network is not as great as previously told the users, hopefully, with the 5G network, the issue will be resolved.
Jio is a famous brand and has gained tons of users in very little time by providing offers like no other company.
Due to its strategy of free offers for a few months, plenty of users who used other companies shifted to Jio and are doing great now.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Gerry Whent and Ernest Harrison
|Founded in the Year
|V! – Vodafone Idea
|Jio – Joint Implementations Opportunities
|British Multinational telecommunication
|Number of subscribers until 2021
|122.47 Million users
|424.84 Million users
|Upload and Download Speed
|Great upload speed
|Great download speed
What is Vodafone?
Vodafone is a British multinational telecommunication company which once ruled over India as the best network and was overtaken by other network brands.
The company was founded in 1982 by Gerry Whent and Ernest Harrison, and the present CEO of Vodafone company is Nick Read (from 2018).
In August 2018, Vodafone India merged with Idea Cellular and is now known as Vodafone Idea Limited, precisely as V!. Also, the merge turned out to be successful as it gained a lot of users later.
One noticeable feature that people loved was the tariff plans, which included access to all the V! Platforms and additional OTT platforms, which give a perk of multiple extra facilities, and no doubt why people love V! And its services.
Not just that, the weekends get more pleasing with the unlimited free internet with Binge Watch all night on all the V! platforms.
It is amazing that Vodafone provides ample facilities to its users, but some cons are speed, network, and connectivity.
Also, V! Is all set to release their 5G in India as soon as the auction starts, and hopefully, the minor network issues might be solved.
Vodafone is doing excellent in the UK and was also awarded as the “Unbeatable Network for reliability” in 2021.
What is Jio?
Jio is an Indian telecommunication company which has been quite popular in past years, as the offers of free sim and internet caught the eye of the users. The company was established in 2007 by Mukesh Ambani, and the present CEO of Jio company is Atul Kansal.
Jio gained its popularity when it offered free sim and data for a year in 2016, which was a great surprise, and people went crazy about it. Also, many users shifted from their present brand to Jio, which helped Jio gain users and popularity at the same time.
Well, they did overlook keeping up the aim of providing facilities to users at an affordable price and are doing great.
One significant fact that people love about Jio is that it offers unlimited data in many of its plans, likely complete data, and, after a specific limit, the speed is reduced, yet the internet is available.
Not just that, the OTT platforms of Jio are fantastic; in addition, you get access to various other popular OTT platforms. Also, different offers are provided.
Jio has started its experiments with 5G and might soon bring it into existence.
As a fact, only a few towers of Jio are used for voice calls and the rest for data, yet the voice call quality is unbelievable.
Main Differences Between Vodafone and Jio
- The main difference between Vodafone and Jio is its operational places. Vodafone provides services in Asia, Africa, Europe, Oceania, and 150 countries, while Jio offers services in India and 170 countries.
- Another difference is that Vodafone is a British multinational telecom company, and Jio is an Indian telecom company.
- Vodafone is known as V! (as it has merged with Idea), and Jio is known as Reliance Jio.
- Vodafone users get the advantage of free usage of the internet and V! OTT platforms on weekends (during the night only), while Jio users get free subscriptions to various OTT platforms. The duration depends on the plan they choose.
- Vodafone and Idea have merged as one, known to be V! Now, Jio hasn’t merged with any companies and remains as Jio itself.
Last Updated : 25 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.