In adults, both men and women, no one likes to have grown hairs on their different body parts like – arms, legs, chest, back, etc.
And now, many methods can be used by them to remove the length of their hair. Some of these methods are laser hair reduction, waxing, sugaring, shaving, etc.
All of these have different effects, causes, longevity, and many others.
Waxing vs Sugaring
The difference between Waxing and Sugaring is that the procedure of waxing includes the application of hot wax or cold wax, which is then removed with the help of muslin cloth or cotton strip, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, in the procedure of sugaring the paste applied can be removed by the hands. The effect of waxing lasts up to 6 weeks, while the effect of sugaring lasts up to 4-5 weeks.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Waxing is a procedure that involves the use of resin, chemicals, and natural ingredients. In some of the cases, the paste is applied by melting it at a low temperature.
The paste is applied with the help of a spatula against the length of the hairs, and after 30 seconds, it is removed with the help of any muslin cloth or strips.
Sugaring is another process used to remove unwanted hairs from the body. The ingredients used in the process are all-natural ingredients – water, lemon, and sugar.
The paste is applied at room temperature and doesn’t require melt or cooling down. It is applied through hands and also can be removed by hands.
|Parameters of Comparison||Waxing||Sugaring|
|Ingredients||Resin, natural ingredients, and chemicals||All-natural ingredients – sugar, lemon, water|
|Application||Strips, muslin cloth||Hands|
|Length of hair||1/4th||1/16th|
|Temperature||Low temperature to melt down the wax or cold wax can be used||Room temperature|
|Sensitivity||Not a smart choice for sensitive skin||Can be applied to sensitive skin|
|Side effects||Redness, irritation, inflammation||Ingrown hairs, swelling, irritation (occurs when paste not removed properly)|
|Direction||In the same direction||Against the direction|
|Aftercare||Moisturizer, body lotion, or essential oils required||Can be directly wash-off|
|Lasts up to||4-6 weeks||4-5 weeks|
What is Waxing?
Waxing is the most preferred method opted by adults for hair removal. The method or procedure came into existence in 1150 BC in Egypt.
Now the ingredients used in wax includes some natural extract with resin and chemical and is done in three different processes that are – hot wax, cold wax, or the pre-wax strips.
The process of waxing is to be advised to be performed by an expert or if the individual has complete knowledge.
As there are different sub-process thus the temperature required in some cases is low to melt the wax, or cold, or the pre-wax strips can be used.
The required length of hair for application of the wax is about 1/4th the size of the actual hair present in the region.
And the direction of the wax is to be from the roots to the tip that is in the same direction, while after completion, the treated area must be again treated with body lotions, moisturizer, or essential oils to avoid redness or irritation.
What is Sugaring?
Sugaring is another method used by adults for removing unwanted hairs from the body.
The process of using sugar paste to remove body hair is as old as pyramids that it has been in existence for the last 2 thousand years.
The main ingredients used in making the paste are natural and are – water, sugar, and lemons.
As not everyone is an expert in making the sugar pate thus it is still advised to be done by any professional despite it can be easily done at home.
The room temperature is ideal for its application, unlike waxing, but the post-care may be crucial if it is not completely removed.
In some cases, it is reported that after-effects may have ingrown hairs, swelling in the treated region, or irritation.
The required length of the hairs for the application of paste is to be approximately 1/16th of the actual size.
And it is to be applied in the opposite direction and pulled through the hands only. After completion, it can be washed off.
Main Differences Between Waxing and Sugaring
- The ingredients used in the mixture of wax are some of the chemicals, natural ingredients extract, and resin, whereas comparatively on the other side, in the process of sugaring all the ingredients being used are the mixture of natural products, and it includes lemon, water, and sugar.
- The mixture is applied with the help of any spatula or muslin cloth, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the mixture used in sugaring is applied through the hands.
- The required length of the hair for the application is approximately 1/4th, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the required length of the hair is approximately about 1/16th.
- The temperature requirement in some cases is low because in some cases, wax is applied warm, and in some cases, it is applied cold, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the temperature required for the application of sugaring is the room temperature itself.
- Waxing isn’t a smart choice for individuals having sensitive skin, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, sugaring might be a good option for sensitive skin as it only eliminates the dead skin cells.
- The side effects post after waxing may grow redness, irritation, or inflammation on the affected area whereas comparatively. On the other hand, the post effects after sugaring include – ingrown hairs, irritation, swelling (only when the paste isn’t removed properly).
- The wax is poured in the same direction of the hair in the area, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the sugar paste is placed in the opposite direction.
- After waxing, it is always suggested to apply the body lotions, moisturizer, or essential oils in the treated area, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, post-care is not required in sugaring as it can be washed off directly by the water.
- Waxing retains to be about 4-6 weeks in general, whereas comparatively, on the other side, sugaring may cause hairs to grow after 4-5 weeks.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.