In the internet world, you might hear about various online threats that affect your data and can damage your system. Worms and Trojans are two such online threats that vigorously track online activities.
These two online threats work differently. A worm replicates, but a trojan on the other side does not replicate and execute once downloaded in the system as software.
- Worms self-replicate and spread throughout networks without user intervention, causing widespread damage.
- Trojans deceive users into running them, often disguised as legitimate software, and can allow unauthorized access to systems.
- Worms primarily focus on network disruption, while Trojans target individual systems to steal sensitive data or control resources.
Worm vs Trojan
The difference between a trojan and a worm is that a Trojan affects the system anonymously by disguising or masking it as a program that can be useful for the design and mislead the user. It has some common signs that help the user to recognize its true identity. Conversely, a worm is also considered malware that replicates without any user interaction and affects the system. A worm can spread across the whole network, affecting other relevant systems. Their primary objective is to influence the files or data by deleting or modifying them.
The worm is an online threat that affects the data and the user’s information by replicating effectively. It does not require human interaction and can spread the network.
It is hazardous as it can steal and damage the system vigorously by using the network protocols. The worms eat the resources of the system.
Trojan, also called trojan horse, is a virus or malware affecting the user’s system. It is designed in such a way that it seems legitimate, but it affects or damages the information or data of the user.
It is considered one of the most dangerous malware which is created specifically to harm or steal information from other’s systems.
|Parameters of Comparison||Worm||Trojan|
|Execution||Trojan misleads the user in the form of the software and app. Once installed, it steal and damage the information.||The main objective of the worm is to affect the system’s resources.|
|Spreading Rate||It has a fast-spreading rate.||It has a slow-spreading rate.|
|Objective||The main objective of the trojan is to damage and steal essential details and information of the users.||The worm is malware that entered the system with the help of spam email or messages and once installed, it spread across the network and affects other systems or computers.|
|What is it?||Trojan affects the system anonymously by disguising or masking it as a program that can be useful for the system and mislead the user.||Trojan affects the system anonymously by disguising or masking it as a program that can be useful for the design and mislead the user.|
|Infection||The system weakness is utilized to spread the effectiveness of the worm.||The trojan is disguised as software that can be useful to the user and infect the whole system.|
|Motive||It affects the memory and data of the system.||It majorly steals the data and information of the user.|
What is Worm?
The worm is a type of malware that affects the system and replicates across the network by infecting other systems or computers. They entered into the system with the help of spam messages or emails.
Once it is opened, the worm is installed automatically into the system, affecting the user’s information and data. They can inject other malicious software, create the worst effect on the design,, and damage it ultimately.
The worms can enter the system in various forms. It can be an email worm installed by clicking on a malicious website link.
The system may also get affected if the worm is disguised in the file or shared data from one source to another. The worm can spread in one way or another without using the interaction of humans.
Apart from internet activities, worms can also be transmitted with the help of USBs.
What is a Trojan?
A trojan is a type of virus or malware disguised as software or an app so that the user can easily install it into their system without a second thought.
Once installed, it misleads the users and damages their information. The term ‘trojan’ is inspired by the ancient Greek story. Third parties used Trojans to steal data from the system.
When software encoded with trojan malware is downloaded into the system, it starts its execution by infecting and stealing the files and information from the users. This also includes personal and financial details.
The trojan malware is further categorized into various types, depending upon the usability and specific purpose. Banker Trojan is used to steal financial or bank-related details.
A Fake trojan is introduced to make the user realize that their system is affected and they need to download an antivirus.
Info stealer, Trojan is designed to steal personal information or details, comprised of passwords and usernames. These are just a few names; cybercriminals designed and create various trojans to serve their purposes.
Main Differences Between Worm and Trojan
- Worms and Trojans are two types of malware that affect the user’s system in one way or another. A worm replicates and affects the other computers without any interaction of the human. On the contrary, Trojan misled the user through the software and app. Once installed, it steals and damages the information.
- Every malware or virus has a spreading rate that varies from each other. The spreading rate of the worm is comparatively higher than the trojan as it replicates and spreads across the network without requiring human interaction.
- The worm and trojan are designed for a specific objective. A worm is created to affect the resources of the system. A trojan, on the other side,
- The worm and trojan are designed for a specific objective. A worm is created to affect the resources of the system. On the other side, a trojan damages and steals important details and information of the users.
- The malware infected the user’s system and affected the data. The system weakness is utilized to spread the effectiveness of the worm. On the contrary, a trojan is disguised as software that can be useful to the user and infect the whole system.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.