Woodcutting is done by using various tools. Worm drive and sidewinder are two of them. Both of these are considered powerful tools that operate on different functionality.
Table of Contents
One is circular, while the other is sabre. They are also called spur gears.
Worm drive has its motor behind the blade, but the motor of the sidewinder is located on the side.
Worm Drive vs Sidewinder
The main difference between worm drive and sidewinder is that worm drive is a gear arrangement in which the gears are set at an angle of 90 degrees and transfer the power from one shaft to the other. The motor of this tool is located behind the blade. On the contrary, a sidewinder is also a cutting tool that runs parallel with nearly six thousand rounds per minute.
Worm Drive is a powerful cutting tool that is quite heavy in weight, and its motor is located just behind the blade and lasts quite long.
Few worm drives require lubrication for maintenance except those that are designed with a closed system. It has more torque and operates at nearly 4000 rounds per minute, and is suitable for right-handed people.
Sidewinder is also called direct drive that allows the circular movement of the blade without requiring any additional gear. It is operated with nearly six thousand rounds per minute.
This tool is quite light in weight and convenient to handle. Sidewinder does not require lubrication but has a low load-carrying capacity.
Comparison Table Between Worm Drive and Sidewinder
|Parameters of Comparison||Worm Drive||Sidewinder|
|Motor||In worm drive the motor is located behind the blade.||In sidewinder, the motor is located on one side of the blade.|
|Weight||It is quite heavy which is nearly fifteen pounds.||It is lightly weighted which is nearly eight pounds.|
|Torque||It has high torque that provides effective cutting power.||It has comparatively low torque.|
|Rounds Per Minute||4000||6000|
|Maintenance||It requires lubricant or oil for the maintenance purpose.||It does not require any oil or lubricant.|
|Suitability||It is suitable for people who are right-handed.||It is compatible with left-handed people.|
|Cost||It is quite expensive.||It is comparatively cheaper.|
|Compact||Worm drive is large and capable to cut even the hard materials.||Sidewinder is more compact and small in size.|
What is Worm Drive?
The worm drive is a useful cutting tool that is operated on a motor that is situated in such a way that makes it longer and bulkier and produces approximately 4000 rounds per minute.
The gears are arranged at a right angle which is nearly 90 degrees. The cutting power of the worm drive depends on the torque, and this effective tool has high torque.
This tool is convenient to cut the knotted type wood.
Various advantages and disadvantages are associated with the functioning of the worm drive. This tool is lengthy, which makes it convenient to cut the wood easily with better flexibility.
It is suitable for right-handed users or carpenters and also capable enough to cut even the concrete. The weight of the worm drive is a major drawback which is nearly fifteen pounds.
For maintenance purposes, it requires lubrication or oil, and it is also quite expensive.
What is Sidewinder?
Sidewinder is a woodcutting tool that is cut in the circular blade without requiring any additional gear, and hence it is called by the name of direct drive and produces around six thousand rounds per minute.
It is more efficient and light in weight, which is approximately eight pounds. It is more compact and easy to handle.
Less torque is one of the primary drawbacks of a sidewinder which makes it inefficient to cut the denser material. The blade in this tool is mounted in the right-hand direction, which makes it more suitable for left-handed people.
Main Differences Between Worm Drive and Sidewinder
- Worm drive and sidewinder are powerful tools that are used for cutting purposes and operated on the motor, which is mounted at different parts of the tool. In worm drive, the motor is located behind the blade. On the contrary, in a sidewinder, the motor is located on one side of the blade.
- Every tool has some specific weight that decides its functionality. The worm drive is bulkier and lengthy. The approximate weight of this tool is around fifteen pounds which makes it capable of cutting hard or dense materials. Sidewinder, on the other side, is light in weight and easy to handle.
- Worm drive and sidewinder cut the materials by placing the armature of the motor at a specific angle. The worm drive is aligned at 90 degrees or perpendicular to the blade rotation and produces nearly 4000 rounds per minute (rpm). On the contrary, the sidewinder is aligned parallel and produces nearly 6000 rounds per minute (rpm).
- Pricing plays a significant role in every purchase of any tool. The worm drive is quite expensive, and hence it is readily used by professionals or season-based carpenters and woodworkers. On the contrary, a sidewinder is less costly and cheaper and can be used easily for general purposes as sidewinder.
- Maintenance of tools is a crucial task that should be done properly. Worm drive requires lubrication or oiling for maintenance purposes, but a sidewinder on the other side does not require lubrication.
Worm drive and sidewinder are useful tools that are used particularly for a specific purpose. One is heavy and used for construction, and professional work with high load carrying capacity and the other one is light weighted and easy to use.
Both of these tools are good and effectively produce 4000 and 6000 rounds per minute, respectively. The user can choose any of these tools according to their requirements.
The worm drive is suitable for right-handed while the sidewinder is suitable for left-handed people.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️