There are millions of cars driving on the road at this moment. All of these vehicles are produced by various car manufacturers. Every vehicle in the world is marked with some identification mark for easy recognition.
Through these marks, ordinary people can easily distinguish a car from others.
Most car dealers often talk about the “make and model of a car” to easily distinguish a car. This term often confuses many people; they often mix up with the word “make of a car” and “model of a car”.
Most people often think these two are the same, and maximum the time, they provide the wrong information to others.
- The make of a car indicates the manufacturer or company that produced the vehicle, such as Ford, Toyota, or BMW.
- The car model refers to the specific product line or designs the manufacturer produces, such as Ford Mustang, Toyota Camry, or BMW 3 Series.
- Both make, and model is essential for identifying and distinguishing vehicles and providing information on brand reputation, design, features, and potential resale value.
Difference Between Make and Model Of Car
Making a car involves a complex process that requires engineering, design, manufacturing, and assembly, on a combination of manual labour and automated machinery that take several months to be completed. The model of a car refers to a specific series or type of car produced by the manufacturer.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Comparison Table for Make vs Model Of Car
|Parameter of Comparison||Make of a car||Model of a car|
|What is it||Manufacturer of the car||A particular variant of car produced by any specific vehicle manufacturer|
|Examples||Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc.||LX, EX, EX-T, etc.|
|Subsidies||Locally produced vehicles or zero-emission vehicles.||Economic car models or low-emission car models.|
|Taxes||Foreign manufactured cars||Luxury car models|
|Identification||Logo||Batch and VINs|
What is Make Of Car?
“make of a car” refers to the car’s manufacturer. Currently, there are several established car manufacturers present in the world.
These car companies do business in various countries and sell their car worldwide. Some famous car manufacturers of this word are Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc.
Even though most car companies have production facilities in every continent, the car is usually associated with its manufacturer’s origin.
For example, Volkswagen & FCA have car production facilities in the USA, but most people refer to these USA-produced cars as European. Similarly, Ford & Nissan both produce vehicles in Europe, but these cars are considered American and Japanese.
Few large car manufacturers use different brand names for new car production lines. In such cases, people do not refer to the parent company as the carmaker.
Instead, they refer to the subsidiary brand as the carmaker. For example, Toyota produces luxury cars under a different company named Lexus.
Here people refer to Lexus as the carmaker, not the Toyota. The “make of a car” can easily be identified by its logo.
To encourage car production by local car companies, many nations put import duties on various cars. Similarly, they also give subsidies to local car companies.
Many nations also subsidise those car companies that produce green emission vehicles. Tesla is one such company that gets government subsidies for zero-emission vehicle production.
What is Model Of Car?
The term “model of a car” refers to a particular car variant produced by any vehicle manufacturer. It may include different trim levels, colours, model years, or a specific class of vehicles.
All vehicles on the road can be classified according to their body style, such as Sedan, Hatchback, SUV, Coupe, Convertible, Wagon, etc.
The vehicle’s interior design is known as trim level and can differ for a given car model. For example, the Honda Civic sedan car offers other trim level choices to the buyer, like LX, EX, EX-T, etc.
The model year also provides a critical piece of information about the model of a car. It explains in which year the car was designed. For example, the 2018 Honda Civic car model says the vehicle was designed for 2018.
Most countries often put extra taxes on luxury car models. Similarly, they offer various subsidies on economical and low-emission car models.
The batch behind every car can quickly identify the model of a car. Vehicle producers also mention the car model number on the VIN of the vehicle.
Main Differences Between the Make and Model Of Car
- “make of a car” refers to the car’s manufacturer. In contrast, the term “model of a car” refers to a particular variant of a car produced by any specific vehicle manufacturer.
- Examples of some car manufacturers are Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc. On the other hand, some examples of car models are LX, EX, EX-T, etc.
- Those car manufacturers who locally produce vehicles or zero-emission vehicles only get subsidies from the government. However, economical car models or low-emission car models get subsidies from the government.
- Most governments put import taxes on foreign-manufactured cars. On the other hand, most buyers of luxury car models have to pay extra taxes.
- The logo of the manufacturer can quickly identify the make of a car. But the model of a vehicle can only be identified through its batch and VIN.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.