There are many television options present in the market. This makes it tough for people to choose which ones to get. You can find Android TV, Smart TV, and Google TV. There are differences between these and similarities as well. It is important to know about these.
- Google TV offers personalized content recommendations by aggregating information from various streaming platforms, whereas Android TV and Smart TVs display content from individual apps.
- Android TV and Google TV share a common foundation. Both are based on the Android operating system, while Smart TVs use different operating systems depending on the manufacturer.
- Google TV includes a “Watchlist” feature that allows users to save content from multiple services in one place, a functionality not available on Android TV or Smart TVs.
Android TV vs Smart TV vs Google TV
Android TV is a smart TV operating system by Google for streaming and gaming. Google TV is a newer version of Android TV with an improved user interface. Smart TV is any TV that can connect to the internet for streaming.
|Parameters of Comparison||Android TV||Smart TV||Google TV|
|Operating system||Android||Android, Google, Fire, etc.||Android|
|Newest version||Oldest operating system||New operating system||Newest operating system|
|Apps||Good support||Not as many apps||Massive selection of TV apps|
|Personalization||Recommendations based upon apps and not personal taste||Good personalization||Personalized home screen for every user|
|Smart home controls||Available||Available||Available|
What is Android TV?
An Android TV uses Android as the operating system. The operating system is a vast one that will allow users to get applications like the Google Play Store. You can then be able to download the apps and even games that you want.
An Android TV allows one to bring stuff that they like on their phone to their TV. This does not mean that one can take calls via the TV, but it lets you have ease of navigation, access to needed entertainment as well as simple interactivity.
You can make your TV smart with an interface that is simple to use. It has voice control due to the integration of Google Assistant. You can get control across other devices, such as your Android phone.
The essential entertainment apps can be found. Android app developers can adapt apps to let one enjoy the big screen experience. This can include stuff like information services, gaming, etc.
Android TV allows one to quickly customize their TV’s content so that it suits them. The system is easy to learn and use.
What is Smart TV?
Smart TVs, similar to smartphones, allow one to have internet connectivity as well as support from apps. There are many entertainment options available with this, like streaming videos on Netflix, playing games, browsing through social media, as well as controlling your home’s connected gadgets.
Some models even have voice recognition tools, such as Amazon Alexa as well as Google Assistant. This helps you switch channels and also search for programs. Many Smart TVs can function with smart speakers.
Smart TVs are also getting more integrated with smart home features. Some are also top smart home devices. Many TVs are compatible with some other connected devices within the home. This includes smart lights, smart locks, along with other sensors.
Some TVs even have a dedicated dashboard that controls all the devices in your connected home. There are many more functions apart from this also.
What is Google TV?
At its core, Google TV can be said to be a user interface that runs on top of Android TV. But, its look and feel differ from the Android TV. It tends to be pre-installed within the Chromecast with Google TV. It even has a dedicated remote. You can browse around Google TV with it.
The interface curates suggestions for movies as well as TV shows that are based on your viewing habits. Google Assistant is available so that people can ask it to find what they want to watch.
Google TV aims to ensure that users can access their most viewed and recommended content directly from the home screen. Google TV features stuff like Netflix, Apple TV Plus, Hulu, etc.
Google TV allows you to access what you wish to watch. This is without needing to dive directly into the particular streaming app. This is if you are logged into your account.
Main Differences Between Android TV, Smart TV and Google TV
- Google TV is the latest one in comparison to Android TV, Smart TV, and Google TV.
- Google TV and Android TV support many apps, unlike Smart TV.
- Google TV and Android TV run on the Android operating system whilst Smart TV can run on one of the varying operating systems like Android, Google, Fire, webOS, Tizen, and more.
- Smart TV is a wider concept that even includes the terms Google TV and Android TV.
- A Smart TV limits people as not many developers tend to support its operating system, so you will get the basics. If you require newer applications, these might not be present. This is not true with Android TV and Google TV.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.