HostGator can be more time-consuming for the novice user. HostGator is more suited for experienced users running sites on platforms other than WordPress.
HostGator comes with a one-click option to install WordPress. On the other hand, WordPress is pre-installed on Bluehost. This helps reduce the effort and time a novice user needs to set it up.
HostGator is more suited for those looking to migrate their sites from WordPress.
- Bluehost and HostGator are web hosting providers offering various hosting plans to host websites.
- Bluehost provides a more user-friendly interface and is better suited for beginners, while HostGator offers more advanced features for developers.
- Bluehost is more affordable and provides better customer support, while HostGator offers more flexibility and scalability in its plans.
Bluehost vs HostGator
Bluehost is a renowned brand in the web hosting industry, offering a range of hosting plans, including shared hosting, VPS, and dedicated hosting. Hostgator is a popular hosting company known for its affordability and wide range of hosting options, including shared, cloud, VPS, and dedicated hosting.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Bluehost offers fewer features with its basic plans, however, it is a better match for beginners operating WordPress.
|HostGator is a good hosting service for experienced users with its varied features. However, it is not a recommended hosting service for running sites on WordPress.
|Overall the Bluehost beginner packages are not as cost-effective as those HostGator offers.
|Overall the HostGator beginner packages are more cost-effective than those offered by Bluehost.
|No server uptime guarantee.
|HostGator promises a 99.90% server uptime.
|Lower than HostGator.
|Higher than Bluehost.
|Average customer support.
|Praised for its excellent customer support.
|A migration fee is charged.
|No migration fee is charged.
|No refund promises.
|45 days refund policy.
|More popular as a WordPress hosting service.
What is Bluehost?
Bluehost is a popular hosting service provider renowned for its WordPress hosting prowess. It provides various services and is currently powering over 2 million websites globally.
Owned and operated by the Utah-based Endurance International Group, Bluehost was ideated in 1996 and established in 2003.
Bluehost gained prominence as the most suitable WordPress hosting service as it comes with a WordPress installer that makes the initial setup easier for amateur users.
It offers shared hosting packages for WordPress and 3 other general shared hosting plans. Running on SSD, Bluehost provides efficient and reliable services for all its clients.
Moreover, the hosting service offers unlimited storage, FTP accounts, and SSH access. Bluehost’s content delivery network is powered by CloudFlare, contributing to optimized content delivery.
Security is a key concern for the company as it offers free shared SSL certification and DDoS protection.
What is HostGator?
HostGator is another equally renowned Houston-based hosting service provider. Created in 2002, the brand has attained several accolades for its shared reseller, private servers, and web hosting services.
HostGator provides dedicated and managed servers, VPS, and application hosting with 99.9% uptime and round-the-clock support.
HostGator also offers free migration and 45 days guaranteed returns. Like Bluehost, it also offers a website-building tool and tutorial on how to install WordPress.
However, it is not recommended by WordPress.org as the most suitable hosting service for the platform. HostGator comes with enhanced security protocols and an SSL certification.
HostGator is renowned for its excellent customer support systems. With a generous refund policy and almost similar offerings as Bluehost, at a comparatively lower price point, HostGator is suited as a hosting service for running most sites and platforms.
Main Differences Between Bluehost and HostGator
- The main difference between Bluehost and HostGator is that while the former is a more compatible hosting service for WordPress, the latter is considered better for other sites and platforms. Bluehost is the recommended WordPress hosting site. It caters to the special requirements of the site. HostGator can also be used to run a WordPress account. However, the former is a more suitable choice than the latter.
- Bluehost does not guarantee server uptime, while HostGator promises a 99.90% guarantee.
- The two hosting services can also be differentiated in terms of the cost of the shared hosting plans offered by each. While Bluehost packages are priced at a higher price point, HostGator packages are available at a more cost-effective price point.
- There is a marked difference in the speed of each hosting service. HostGator operates at speed higher than Bluehost.
- Bluehost and HostGator can also be compared in terms of the customer services offered by each hosting service. HostGator remains undefeated in this arena, with an A++ rating. Bluehost does not have such a high troubleshooting rating.
- Comparing the popularity of each, we can say that Bluehost is the more popular choice among customers than HostGator.
- Bluehost has no refund policy, while HostGator has a guaranteed one.
- Another difference can be noted when the WordPress migration fee is considered. While HostGator offers free migration, a migration fee is charged by Bluehost to offer migration services.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.