HostGator can be more time consuming for the novice user. HostGator is more suited for experienced users running sites on platforms other than WordPress. HostGator comes with a one-click option to install WordPress. On the other hand, WordPress is pre-installed on Bluehost. This helps reduce the effort and time needed by a novice user to set it up. HostGator is more suited for those looking to migrate their sites from WordPress.
Bluehost vs HostGator
The difference between Bluehost and HostGator is that the former is more suited as a WordPress hosting service, while the latter is compatible with WordPress but not a top choice to run sites on the platform. Bluehost is one of the 3 major recommended hosts for running sites on WordPress. It offers features specially curated for the platform.
Comparison Table Between Bluehost and HostGator
|Parameters of Comparison||Bluehost||HostGator|
|WordPress Compatibility||Bluehost offers fewer features with its basic plans, however, it is a better match for beginners operating WordPress.||HostGator is a good hosting service for experienced users with its varied features, however, it is not a recommended hosting service for running sites on WordPress.|
|Price||Overall the Bluehost beginner packages are not as cost-effective as those offered by HostGator.||Overall the HostGator beginner packages are more cost-effective than those offered by Bluehost.|
|Server Uptime||No server uptime guarantee.||HostGator promises a 99.90% server uptime.|
|Speed||Lower than HostGator.||Higher than Bluehost.|
|Customer Support||Average customer support.||Praised for its excellent customer support.|
|Migration Fees||A migration fee is charged.||No migration fee is charged.|
|Refund||No refund promises.||45 days refund policy.|
|Popularity||More popular as a WordPress hosting service.||Less popular.|
What is Bluehost?
Bluehost is a popular hosting service provider, especially renowned for its WordPress hosting prowess. It provides a variety of services and is currently powering over 2 million websites globally. Owned and operated by the Utah-based Endurance International Group, Bluehost was ideated in 1996 and established in the year 2003.
Bluehost gained prominence as the most suitable WordPress hosting service as it comes with a WordPress installer that makes the initial setup easier for amateur users. It offers shared hosting packages for WordPress as well as 3 other general shared hosting plans. Running on SSD, Bluehost provides efficient and reliable services for all its clients.
Moreover, the hosting service offers unlimited storage, FTP accounts, and SSH access. Bluehost’s content delivery network is powered by CloudFlare, contributing to optimized content delivery. Security is a key concern for the company as it offers free shared SSL certification and DDoS protection.
What is HostGator?
HostGator is another equally renowned Houston-based hosting service provider. Created in 2002, the brand has attained several accolades for its shared, reseller, private servers, and web hosting services. HostGator provides dedicated and managed servers, VPS, and application hosting with 99.9% uptime and round the clock support.
HostGator also offers free migration and 45 days guaranteed returns. Like Bluehost, it also offers a website building tool and tutorial on how to install WordPress. However, it is not recommended by WordPress.org as the most suitable hosting service for the platform. HostGator comes with enhanced security protocols and an SSL certification.
HostGator is renowned for its excellent customer support systems. With a generous refund policy and almost similar offerings as Bluehost, at a comparatively lower price point, HostGator is suited as a hosting service for running most sites and platforms.
Main Differences Between Bluehost and HostGator
- The main difference between Bluehost and HostGator is that while the former is a more compatible hosting service for WordPress, the latter is considered better for other sites and platforms Bluehost is the recommended WordPress hosting site. It caters to the special requirements of the site. HostGator can also be used to run a WordPress account, however the former is a more suitable choice than the latter.
- Bluehost does not provide a server uptime guarantee, while HostGator promises a 99.90% guarantee for server uptime.
- The two hosting services can also be differentiated in terms of the cost of the shared hosting plans offered by each. While Bluehost packages are priced at a higher price point, HostGator packages are available at a more cost-effective price point.
- There is a marked difference in the speed of each hosting service. HostGator operates at a speed higher than Bluehost.
- Bluehost and HostGator can also be compared in terms of the customer services offered by each hosting service. HostGator remains undefeated in this arena, with an A++ rating. Bluehost does not have such a high troubleshooting rating.
- Comparing the popularity of each, we can say that Bluehost is the more popular choice among customers than HostGator.
- Bluehost does not have a refund policy, while HostGator has a guaranteed refund policy in place.
- Another difference between the two can be noted when the WordPress migration fee is considered. While HostGator offers free migration, a migration fee is charged by Bluehost to offer migration services.
Bluehost and HostGator are both esteemed and popular hosting service providers. They are famed for their security features, efficiency, and superior services. The choice between the two hosting services finally comes down to the purpose of the website one wishes to create.
If the goal is to run a WordPress hosting for various sites, then Bluehost is the go-to option. The WordPress specific features offered by Bluehost are unmatched. This helps novice users master the initial setup and run the sites smoothly. The cost of the basic plans is not very different from that of HostGator. Hence, Bluehost is the perfect choice for novice WordPress users.
HostGator offers free migration with all the other features offered by Bluehost. Hence, if you are an experienced user, and are looking to change hosting services, HostGator may be the better option for you.
Moreover, budgets are often a constraint on such decisions. HostGator offers different plans at a relatively cheaper rate. This is also an added benefit. Thus, the choice is between two very reputed hosting services that offer extremely competitive features at relatively close price points.