A camera is an instrument of optical that captures the image visually. At the primary level, the cameras are sealed boxes or the camera body with a small hole or aperture. It permits light through to record an image on a surface of light-sensitive which is generally a digital sensor or photographic film.
There are several brands of cameras available in the market like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, Kodak, and many more. When it comes to Canon, its cameras are available in many kinds like 250D, 80D, R5, 90D, 60Da, and several others. Apart from being belonging to the same brand, they differ in several terms. In this article, the main focus is on differentiating Canon 5D and Canon 7D.
Canon 5D vs Canon 7D
The main difference between Canon 5D and Canon 7D is their body dimensions. The dimensions of Canon 5D are 152 x 113 x 73 mm or 6.0 x 4.4 x 3.0 in with the camera weight of 895g or 31.6 oz. On the other hand, the body dimensions of 148 x 111 x74 mm or 5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9 in with a bodyweight of 860d or 30.3 oz.
The press material of Canon for the EOS 5D describes that it defines a new classification of DSLR. Unlike any former digital SLR, this Canon 5D combines a high-resolution sensor of a full-frame with a relatively compact body although it feels noticeably chunkier in hands.
The Canon 7D is the flagship of the manufacturer’s APS-C camera. It is designed to rival cameras like Nikon D3005 and combines a high megapixel count. According to personal preference, nearly all controls and buttons can be customized for Canon 7D.
Comparison Table Between Canon 5D and Canon 7D
|Parameters of Comparison||Canon 5D||Canon 7D|
|Released||October 2005||September 2009|
|Shots||400 shots per battery charge||800 shots per battery charge|
|Video||No video||1080/30p video|
|Shutter flaps||3 shutter flaps per second||8 shutter flaps per second|
|Sensor resolution||12.7 MP||17.9 MP|
What is Canon 5D?
The Canon 5D is a digital single-lens reflex of 12.8-megapixel camera body manufactured by Canon. It is notable for being the initial camera of the full-frame with standard body size as conversely to the double grip and taller professional body style of camera.
This model mainly has nine autofocus points which are arranged in a pattern of a horizontal diamond. It uses TTL 35 zone SPC metering with approximately four variations and –2 EV to +2 EV exposure compensations in V3 EV.E-TTL II steps flash metering is offered.
When it comes to design, the Canon model of 5D is quite similar to the 20D, and even most of the controls are nearly and identical so. A much brighter and larger pentaprism viewfinder with about 96% coverage. This kind of arrangement is borrowed from the range of 1D, which omits the consumer range’s pop-up flash.
It is the first prosumer DSLR of Canon in which 9,999 images can be kept to one folder, unlike its predecessors in which 100 images are kept. The package consists of software, namely picture style editor, digital photo professional, EOS utility, Photostitch, and image browser/zoom browser EX.
What is Canon 7D?
The Canon EOS 7D is also a DSLR camera of APS-C which is manufactured by Canon. It remained in the model of Canon lineup without any replacement for more than five years which makes it the longest product cycle for any digital camera of EOS.
According to the website of Canon, this model comes equipped with an eyecup battery pack LP-E6, camera cover R-F-3, battery charger LC-E6, and EOS 70 Digital SLR body. Its accessories also consist of interface cable IFC-2000, wide strap EW-EOS7D, and stereo AV cable AV-DC400ST.
It has a processor of dual DIGIC four-processor and can also reach 8 frames per second with continuous shooting. With its first release, the buffer throughout allowed up to 15 frames in a row and up to 94 frames in the large fine mode of JPEG.
This model has approx 19 autofocus points which are arranged in a pattern of a horizontal diamond. The AF system design is new uses an LCD translucent in the viewfinder. The Canon 7D uses a sensitive metering system of TTL 63 zone color with four variations.
Main Differences Canon 5D and Canon 7D
- When it comes to connectivity specs, both the cameras have most of the connectivity features the same except microphone port and HDMI port. Canon 5D does not support HDMI and MIC sockets. Conversely, Canon 7D has a mini HDMI and external MIC port.
- The sensor specs of Canon 5D consist of sensor size as 36.0 x 24.0 mm, sensor diagonal as 43.3 mm, and sensor area as 864 mm2. On the other hand, the sensor specs of Canon 7D include sensor size as 22.3 x 14.9 mm, sensor diagonal as 26.8 mm, and sensor area as 332.27 mm2.
- In terms of screen specs, Canon 5D has a viewfinder magnification of 0.71x, viewfinder field of view as 96%, LCD resolution as 230k dots, and rear LCD size of 2.5 inches. On the other hand, Canon 7D has a viewfinder magnification of 0.63x, viewfinder field of view as 100%, LCD resolution as 920k dots, and rear LCD size as 3.0 inch.
- The shutter life expectancy as 100,000 actuation with no onboard flash is two of the Canon 5D shooting specs. On the flip side, two of the Canon 7D shooting specs are shutter life expectancy as 150,000 actuation with built-in flash.
- When it comes to dimensions of Canon 5D are 152 x 113 x 73 mm or 6.0 x 4.4 x 3.0 in with the camera weight of 895g or 31.6 oz. Meanwhile, the body dimensions of Canon 7D is 148 x 111 x74 mm or 5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9 in with a bodyweight of 860d or 30.3 oz.
It can be concluded that both Canon 5D and 7D belongs to the same brand name, Canon. When it comes to sensor resolution, Canon 5D offers a 12.7 MP or megapixel with a sensor format of the full-frame sensor. On the other hand, Canon 7D offers a 17.9 MP or megapixel sensor resolution with the sensor format of an APS-C sensor.
400 shots per battery charge can be taken by Canon 5D. On the flip side, it is possible to take 800 shots per battery charge with Canon 7D. Canon 5D offers 3 shuttle flaps per second. In contrast, the shutter flaps capacity of Canon 7D is 8 per second.