The past decade has seen the revolutions in the internet world that led to the digitization of paper works, sending mail, storing all kinds of data in their respective formats, etc. With the advancements in the internet world, organizations and governments also have been digitized.
They store data over the internet or network and work on them, sending and receiving them.
But, these advancements have led to the rise of criminal minds over the internet, which poses a serious threat to online information and data. They can misuse, damage, or use the data for their benefit.
Therefore, it is of utmost importance to protect all the data over the internet from these kinds of threats.
- Cyber security encompasses protecting computer systems, networks, and data from digital threats; network security is a subset of cyber security focused on safeguarding the integrity of a network and its connected devices.
- Network security involves implementing measures like firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and access controls; cyber security extends to application security, information security, and endpoint protection.
- Cybersecurity professionals address a broader range of threats, including malware, phishing, and insider attacks, while network security specialists concentrate on network-related vulnerabilities.
Cyber Security vs. Network Security
The difference between cyber security and network security is that cybersecurity covers a broader aspect of security; it is a process that protects data of network devices and servers from all kinds of cyberattacks so that the data can be prevented from misuse; on the other hand, network security is a subdivision of cyber security, it is an act of protecting important data, credentials, IDs, and passwords from being misused or damaged.
Information security, cyber security, and network security have been developed to protect these data. Cyber Security is the act of protecting data on network devices and servers from digital cyber threats. Network Security is protecting credentials and important data from misuse or unauthorized access by hackers.
|Parameter of Comparison
|Cyber Security is a process of protecting the data in an organization’s servers and network-connected devices.
|Network Security acts as a facility that protects the data under a network against hacking, misuse, and unauthorized access.
|It protects internet-connected devices and servers from digital attacks from cyber hackers.
|It protects an organization’s IT infrastructure from possible threats from hackers.
|Types of possible attacks
|Possible types of attacks in cyber security are Pretexting, Phishing, and Baiting.
|Possible attacks under network security are Viruses, Trojans, Worms, DOS Attacks, Hacking Attacks, etc.
|It includes Network Protection, Up-to-date information, and Applications.
|Network Security includes protection for internet access, Account Credentials, Encryption, and Firewalls.
|Cyber Security is a subdivision of Information Security.
|Network Security is a subdivision of Cyber Security.
What is Cyber Security?
A subset of information security is cyber security. Cyber Security protects data on servers and network devices from attacks, unauthorized access, or damages from cyber hackers.
It implies the techniques and protection designs so that the data can be prevented from cyber-attacks.
The possible types of attacks in cyber security are pretexting, baiting, and phishing. The protection under cyber security includes network protection, application, and up-to-date data.
To implement cyber security in the right way, there are cyber security professionals. Their work is to detect, recover and protect data from cyber threats.
They also monitor the traffic over the network to minimize the risk of potential cyber threats. They tend to see that the integrity of the data over the network is not harmed.
What is Network Security?
A subset of cyber security is network security. Network Security facilitates data protection on the network devices and servers from hacking, misuse, or unauthorized access.
It protects the IT infrastructure of an organization or government from all possible threats from hackers.
The possible types of attacks in network security are viruses, DOS attacks, trojans, worms, hacking, etc. Network Security protection includes protection from Internet access, account credentials, encryption, and firewalls.
The network security professionals ensure that the technical and software expertise is so that there can be no intrusion into the data. They design software so that possible threats can be detected and prevented.
Main Differences Between Cyber Security and Network Security
- Cyber Security is a subdivision of Information Security, while Network Security is a subdivision of Cyber Security.
- Cyber Security is a process implied for protecting the data stored in an organization’s network devices and servers; on the other hand, network security facilitates the protection of data in a network flow against hacking, misuse, or unauthorized access.
- Cyber Security protects internet-connected devices and servers from various kinds of digital attacks. At the same time, Network Security protects an organization’s IT infrastructure from possible threats from hackers.
- The purpose of cyber security is to enhance the security of servers and devices from cyber threats, while the purpose of network security is to enhance the security of credentials and important data.
- The different types of attacks in cyber security are Pretexting, Phishing, and Baiting. In contrast, the possible types of network security attacks are viruses, trojans, worms, hacking, DOS attacks, etc.
- Cyber Security includes network protection, up-to-date information, and applications; on the other hand, network security includes internet access, encryption, firewalls, and account credentials.
- Cyber security professionals are the experts that detect, recover, and protect data on servers and devices against cyber threats. In contrast, network security professionals are the experts in protecting an organization’s IT infrastructure.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.