Due to the world going digital, small and big, both businesses rely on the internet for work. With the non-stop evolution of technology, people often spend more time surfing online than they used to do years back.
Having a digital image in the market is crucial for this era. But just like a coin has two sides, technology also comes with threats, and the most significant threat is cyber-attacks, due to which cyber security and information security came into the picture.
- Cybersecurity focuses on protecting electronic data and systems from digital threats, while information security protects all forms of data, including physical and digital.
- Cybersecurity involves network, application, and endpoint security, while information security encompasses data confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
- Cybersecurity professionals specialize in securing digital infrastructure, while information security professionals safeguard digital and non-digital data.
Cyber Security vs Information Security
Information security protects information and systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction. Cybersecurity is a subset of information security that protects digital assets from cyber threats, including threat intelligence, incident response planning, and vulnerability management.
Cyber security is the application of processes that help protect a computer system or a network from any cyber threats or attacks.
Cyber security aims to reduce the number of cyber attacks and protect cyberspace from unauthorized access or exploitation of the computer or the network and technologies.
Information security, also known as InfoSec, is preventing information from any kind of damage by diminishing the risks.
Information security is a part of information risk management that prevents or reduces the percentage of unknown or inappropriate access to information or illegal use, information leaking, erasing, modifying, corrupting, or deflating the info.
|Parameters of Comparison||Cyber Security||Information Security|
|Definition||It is the process of protecting data from unauthorized attacks.||It is used to digital information.|
|Applied to||Professional’s priorities||It is applied to both digital and physical information.|
|Threats||Cyber security only deals with cyber attacks||Information security deals with every kind of threat.|
|Mentality||Cyber security works to secure the data.||Information security works to fix the problem.|
|Professional’s priorities||Professionals are concerned with the prevention of active threats.||Professionals create policies and procedures and are responsible for ensuring the CIA.|
What is Cyber Security?
Cyber Security is the activity that defends servers, mobiles, networks, data, and systems from harmful attacks which range from businesses to personal devices.
Cyber Security is also known as electronic information security. It is often divided into a few categories, which include: Network security which is a practice of protecting the network of a system from invaders, which can be a targeted attackers of devious malware.
Application security is the practice of protecting software and devices from threats. A weak application is designed to give access to the data it is meant to protect.
Fortunately, the protection begins in the designing stage before the device is installed. Information security preserves data’s privacy and integrity in both storage and transit.
Operational security consists of the process and decisions to manage and protect information assets. Business continuity defines the company’s response to a cyber security incident or any event which can cause data loss.
End-user education states the most random factor for cyber security is people. Anyone or a hacker can install a virus into a sound working system.
Teaching everyone to delete any anonymous emails, not plug unidentified USBs, etc., is essential for the security of any company.
What is Information Security?
Information security is about securing part and preventing the system from unauthorized access, malpractice, information leaking, the extermination of data, etc.
The data can be physical and electronic and can be anything like your personal details, biometrics, data in your cell phones, etc. Therefore, it spreads out to various areas of research such as cryptography, cyber forensics, social media, etc.
The programs of InfoSec are created around three objectives known as CIA, which are Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability. Confidentiality is protecting the information and not disclosing it to any suspicious or unauthorized individual and process.
Integrity means maintaining the data’s accuracy rate and completeness, which means that it cannot be modified in an outlawed way. Availability is making the data available whenever it is required.
Other than the CIA, there are other principles that regulate information security programs.
These programs include the principle of non-repudiation, which means one part is not applicable to deny receiving the message sent by the other party, nor the sending party can prohibit the sending of messages.
Authenticity is another prerequisite of non-repudiation which means the person trusted to protect and control the data is responsible to the authority if it is lost or misused.
Main Differences Between Cyber Security and Information Security
- Cyber Security’s top priority is to protect the data and assets, whereas, information security’s top priority is to ensure that the hardware, software, and other systems remain in proper function.
- Cyber Security is responsible for the risk posed by the end-users whereas information security is responsible for hardware, software, and other new technologies.
- Cyber Security looks after the controls to make sure that they work as it is designed, whereas, information security puts the control in place.
- “Cyber Security works with the””secure it” mentality whereas, information security works with the fix-it mentality.”Cyber Security works with the “secure it” mentality whereas, information security works with the fix-it mentality.
- Cyber Security stays updated with the new threats and developments that are created daily whereas information security stays updated about the new hardware and software.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.