Whenever we plan to buy a laptop or a personal computer, the first thing we think about is the processor. What does a processor do and why is a processor very important in a computer or a laptop is the question that arises first.
In the central processing unit, we have a brain and, in that brain, there are cores. One core can perform one task in a given time and when there are multiple cores then multiple tasks can take place at a time.
Several companies make processors and one among them is intel. Intel made several processors and two among them are dual-core and core 2 duo. These processors changed the whole computer’s ability in performing multi-tasking.
Dual Core vs Core 2 Duo
The difference between dual-core and core 2 duo processors is that dual-core processors contain two cores and the core 2 duo processor is the second version of a dual-core processor.
Comparison Table Between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo (in Tabular Form)
|Parameters of comparison||Dual-core||Core 2 Duo|
|Cpu speed||1200.05 MHz||797.78 MHz|
|Bus speed||200.0 MHz||133.0 MHz|
|Clock Speed||1.6 to 2 GHz||1.86 to 3.0 GHz|
|L2 Cache||1 MB||2MB to 4MB|
What is Dual-core?
A silicon chip in the central processing unit has two cores and this is named as a Dual core. This is made to perform multiple tasking. These are also called as the execution cores because they execute every command.
The Dual-core processor is manufactured by Intel as well as AMD. The performance of the previous versions of the processor is much less when compared to the dual-core processor. Mainly three important factors are affected by the introduction of dual-core.
In the previous versions, the power consumption is higher and the dual-core has very less power consumption. The next factor is the clock speed which is less in dual-core than in previous versions. Next is the cache which is less in dual-core.
What is Core 2 Duo?
Core 2 duo is also a dual-core processor and the difference is the second batch of the dual-core processors is given this name. The core 2 duo processors are a little better as they are made in such a way that they can work on virtualization.
In this, the tasks that are given are executed separately as individual tasks because of the presence of two cores. Most of the machines don’t take advantage of the dual processors. So for the second line of production, the cores are named as core 2 duo
These processors changed the system performance when compared to the previous model. These processors are being used in desktops and laptops in a wide range at a lower price. Even AMD made processors with dual-core and they names it as X2 series.
Main Differences Between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo
- The dual-core processors the number of cycles that a CPU can execute a task in a second is low. Whereas in the core 2 duo processor the CPU speed is faster which makes the core 2 duo run faster.
- Whenever there are instructions given to the processors, the instructions get accumulated in a pipeline and this is called the pipeline storage. In the dual-core, the pipeline storage is more than in the core 2 duo processor.
- During the processing, data is transferred or moved across the bus. The speed at which the data moves in a bus is called bus speed and in dual-core it is more than compared to the core 2 duo. So when the bus speed is high then the more data is moved and executed in the processor.
- The lower the clock speed the higher will be the performance of the processors as well as the computer. The dual-core has lesser clock speed when compared to the core 2 duo. This change in clock speed is very important for running any software on the computer or laptop.
- The memory that is built in a processor is generally termed as L2 cache and this cache size is less in the dual-core processor than in the core 2 duo processors. So this made core 2 better than the dual-core processor.
- With a little difference between these two processors, the whole operating system, the software that is running and also the tasks that are being executed were changed and this brought a lot of changes in the way of working and development. The subset of the dual-core processors namely core 2 duo processors are running with better clock speed and bus speeds.
- As the single processors can perform lesser than the dual processors these dual-core processors and core 2 duo processors can execute the tasks at a higher rate. Later on, different generations of processor’s development took place which increased the performance of multitasking even high.
The processor manufacturing companies tried to improve their sales and their production by upgrading their processors. So, they developed dual-core processors that can execute multitasking. The clock speed is very important and for this reason, the companies tried to push it hard so they developed dual-core processors.
So instead of increasing the vacuum tubes, the companies started increasing the cores in a single chip just to make sure the operating system increases its performance. The processors that have two cores are called dual-core and core 2 duo is also dual-core but the name is given as core 2 duo because they are made in the second line of manufacturing.
The previous versions of the processors took a long time to respond or work on multiple tasks and by the introduction of these dual-core processors, the whole multiple tasking phase changed. So when the dual-core is made the companies decided to differentiate their next upcoming versions so they named the second batch as core 2 duo processors.