Starting with a healthy diet change? Let us help you make healthier life choices by summarizing and differentiating between what seems to be the staple breakfast for many countries: egg beaters and egg whites.
- Egg Beaters are a liquid egg substitute made from real egg whites, with added vitamins, minerals, and flavourings; egg whites are an egg’s clear, protein-rich portion, separated from the yolk.
- Egg Beaters contain fewer calories and no cholesterol than whole eggs, while egg whites are naturally cholesterol-free and low in calories.
- Egg Beaters and egg whites can be used in cooking and baking as healthier alternatives to whole eggs, with Egg Beaters providing additional nutrients and a more consistent result.
Egg Beaters vs. Egg Whites
Egg beaters are a liquid egg substitute made from egg whites, artificial flavorings, colorings, and other ingredients, designed to be a low-fat, low-cholesterol alternative to whole eggs. Egg whites are a low-fat, low-calorie source of protein that can be whipped into a foam and used in baking.
|Parameters of Comparison
- IU – International Units
- ug – Microgram
- gm – gram
What is Egg Beaters?
Eggbeaters are industrially produced substitute products for chicken eggs marketed as a healthier choice due to their no cholesterol content compared to a normal egg with 373 mg of cholesterol. The calories are also reduced from 52 to 25 compared to egg whites. As a bonus, they also have zero fat content.
They were first introduced in 1972 as a product of “Fleischmann’s Egg Beaters” and were initially sold as a frozen product. In their earlier stages, egg beaters were sold with some egg yolk.
Refrigerated packaging was introduced in the year 1994. People prefer them due to their better shelf life of 90 days and easy portability.
Easy portability is a result of container packing available in various sizes. To provide a better understanding of measurement, one-fourth cup of egg beaters is equal to the contents of one egg.
Egg beaters have a shelf life of 90 days beating regular egg whites by 30 days. Longer shelf life combined with different quantities of containers provides a greater advantage to egg beaters over regular egg whites.
People with heart attack risks are prescribed egg beaters instead of normal eggs owing to no cholesterol content. Egg beaters also come in seven different flavors: Original, 100% Egg Whites, Garden Vegetable, Cheese & Chives, Southwestern Style, Three Cheese, and Florentine.
What are Egg Whites?
Egg white is the transparent, slimy liquid surrounding the yellow-colored yolk. It is also called the albumen or glair/glair.
It comprises 90% water and 10% of proteins like albumins, mucoproteins, and globulins.
It is formed from the layers of secretions of the anterior section of the hen’s oviduct during the passage of the egg. We know! Sounds disgusting for a good-tasting food item.
Egg whites contain about 56% of the proteins in a whole egg. Unlike egg yolk, egg whites contain little to no fat, and the carbohydrate content is just 1%.
This may surprise those who consider egg whites a great source of protein, but they are used to make vaccines for influenza. Egg whites are also used as fining agents in clarifying and stabilizing wine.
Late 1700 also witnessed the use of egg whites to prevent swelling.
Egg whites are named glare because they were used in the gilding process of books to give that outer cover shine. They were even used as a binding agent in early photography, and the prints obtained through this process were called albumen prints.
Doctors recommend a single egg in the daily diet to maintain a healthy body. Keep your fingers crossed for the day it is announced, “An egg a day keeps the doctor away.”.
Main Differences Between Egg Beaters and Egg Whites
- Eggbeaters are industrially produced eggs with added vitamins, flavors, xanthan gum, and guar gum, while egg whites are manually extracted from regular eggs.
- Egg beaters contain added flavors and vitamins, while egg whites are either extracted manually by you or you can buy them from a supermarket. Still, egg whites don’t contain any added ingredients.
- Egg beaters are cheaper than regular eggs, but if you are buying in bulk, regular eggs would be a better option as they come cheap in bulk.
- Egg beaters come in different flavors and can be bought according to your liking, while egg whites have the same aroma and flavor worldwide.
- Egg beaters are fat-free, while egg whites have some hints of fat. So if you are on a strict diet of fat-free food where even the tiniest fat content matters, we recommend you try egg beaters.
- Egg beaters have 75 mg of sodium, while egg whites have 166 mg. Reducing sodium can help you avoid high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.
- Egg beaters are low on calories compared to regular egg whites, which can help maintain a fit and healthy body, protecting you from the worthless accumulation of carbohydrates and fats.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.