Various diseases are discovering every day, and not only these, but few existing ones are also becoming more lethal. It is noticed that in most people, migraine is very common. And sometimes, a person does not even know he is suffering from a migraine.
Most people find it difficult to tolerate migraines, and thanks to our medical field, it has made and introduced some medicines which are very helpful when it comes to treating migraines. Among them are Emgality and Nurtec. Both of them are similar in the purpose they serve, but it differs in several terms.
Emgality vs Nurtec
The difference between Emgality and Nurtec is that while Emgality is a preventive treatment, Nurtec is an acute treatment for a person with a migraine problem. They also differ when it comes to their side effects and the things they interact with. Also, they have different doses and chemical names.
Emgality is a type of injection used as a preventive treatment of migraines. Two doses of each 120 mg are given to the person with migraine. It has certain side effects and can interact with strong drugs also. While side effects are not very dangerous to the person but still in case of any high or lethal side effects, immediate help should be taken.
Nurtec is a drug type that comes in pills used for acute treatment of migraine with or without aura. Its side effects are not at all dangerous. Only redness or itching can happen. Also, it is not very much clear with which drug it interact, but it may or may not interact with some weak drugs while it is suggested to have a doctor’s prescription before taking it.
Comparison Table Between Emgality and Nurtec
|Parameters of Comparison||Emgality||Nurtec|
|Used for||Preventive treatment of migraine||Acute treatment of migraine|
|Side effects||Nausea and hypersensitivity reactions||injection site reactions|
|Interact with||Not really interact with drugs.||Strong CYP3A4 inhibitors, inhibitors of P-GP or BCRP, etc.|
|Dose||240 mg loading dose||75 mg taken orally|
What is Emgality?
It is a drug used for migraines. It is a type of drug developed in the lab for immune system cells and blocks the activity of certain proteins. It is an effective preventive measure of migraine, especially for people who suffer from cluster migraine and cannot take any other preventive measures due to interaction with any other drug. The cost of Emgality varies, but it is not much expensive. It is not available in generic form.
It is from a new section of drugs called calcitonin, specially designed for the treatment of migraines. It does not have major side effects in most of the cases, but still, in a few, they can have little serious side effects, which include:
- Swelling under the skin, mainly on eyelids, hands, or feet.
- Swelling on throat, neck, tongue, or mouth.
- Difficulty in breathing.
Except this fatigue is also a symptom that can be noticed in the person, clinically, it is not categorized as side effects but as a symptom of taking the drug.
Recently it has been recorded that Emgality can cause some long-term effects on the body, although it can’t be said whether these side effects have been due to the drug 100 percent or not. Side effects include:
- Respiratory tract infection
- Back pain
- Sore throat
- Sinus infection
What is Nurtec?
It is a pill used to treat acute migraines in people with or without aura. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this drug in February 2020. It can be taken orally and sublingually, and like Emgality, it is not available in generic form. There are as such no major side effects, and in case of the minor ones, the following things can be done:
- Resting in a cool in peace.
- Applying a cold pack on your head.
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Drinking ginger/chamomile tea.
- Eating a small snack such as plain toast.
Allergic reactions that can happen are:
- Rash or hives
- Flushing (warmth or discoloration in your skin)
- Swelling under your skin.
- Swelling of your tongue or mouth.
- Difficulty in breathing
All the above symptoms and allergies can even cause after few days of taking medicine, as it is not obvious it will take a right after the consumption. It has been found to every effective in curing acute migraine, although it is not certified for treatment of the Migraine.
Main Differences Between Emgality and Nurtec
- Emgality is an injection medicine, while Nurtec is a pill medicine that is eaten.
- Both Emgality, despite being used for similar purposes, has different chemicals or drugs. Emgality is also known by Rimegepant, and Nurtec is also known by Galcanezumab-gnlm.
- Both Emgality and Nurtec are more migraines, but the difference is that Emgality is used as preventive treatment while Nurtec is used as an acute treatment of migraine.
- Both of them have different side effects, while Emgality can lead to shortness of breath, nausea, severe rash, hypersensitivity, while Nurtec can cause minor side effects that include itching, redness, and pain.
- When it comes to Emgality, generally 240 mg loading dose (two injections of 120 mg each) is recommended and taken, while a 75 mg dose of Nurtec is recommended to be taken orally.
- Nurtec interacts with different drugs, Nurtec usually interacts with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors, inhibitors of P-gp or BCRP, strong and moderate CYP3A inducers, and moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors, while Emgality can interact with other drugs, although it is not clear which drug (therefore at least for now it is said that it does not interact with any).
Therefore now we all know how both these medicines, despite serving the same main purpose, are very different from each other. Although they don’t have any serious or lethal side effects, it is still advised to no taking them without a proper prescription. A doctor must be seen and talked to before taking any of these as some people can be allergic to its components.
Also, it should be taken care of what a person has eaten before and is going to eat after taking medicine. And an individual should not become habitual of these medicines. And when it is avoidable, having them should be avoided.