Computer and technology have become a part of our daily life. Everything is dependent on them. Other things are connected to computers and daily usage. An example of this can be Ethernet and the internet. While most people are familiar with the meaning and usage of the internet, very few know what Ethernet is and what purpose does it serves. But that does not mean that it is not used. Worldwide it is used frequently by many. After understanding Ethernet, the next important step is to understand the difference between the Internet and Ethernet because most people get confused between both.
Internet vs Ethernet
The difference between the Internet and Ethernet is that the internet is connected within the computer, while Ethernet is not. Ethernet covers a small area as compared to the internet, which is used globally by everyone. They both also differ in terms of communication and number of people communicates at a time, security level, etc.
Internet is a network which internally connected to the computer or devices, which enable the person to transfer data and communicate with anyone in the world. It is used daily in schools, colleges, companies, houses, and everywhere. Every single piece of information is available on the internet, which can be accessed by anyone.
Ethernet is a type of network-connected through cable wire to the computer, and even there is a wireless option too for the connection. It provides various services of communication and transfer of data to the users. Examples of this can be printers, scanners, etc., which are used at every place for all the services they provide.
Comparison Table Between Internet and Ethernet
|Parameters of Comparison||Internet||Ethernet|
|Meaning||Interconnected networks of computers.||Primary physical space connected to the computer.|
|Secure||Less secure||More secure|
|Communication||Uses broadcast network for it||Uses point to point networks for it|
|Coverage||Wide coverage||Less coverage|
|Example||Wide Area Network||Local Area Network|
What is Internet?
The internet of popularly known as the net, is the interconnected network system that connects the worldwide web servers. It transfers the data and information from one device to another globally with interconnection. It uses a packet routing network, following IP and TCP. It has made the impossible thing possible and that too in seconds.
- It has made the transfer of data and information easier. Now anyone can have the desired information anytime, and files can be transferred from one country to another in few seconds.
- It has improved communication in such a way that any person sitting at one corner of the world can easily communicate with the person completely living in the opposite part of the world without any disturbances.
- It can lead to the development of other communication tools such as video calls, emails, etc.
- It provides communication to several across different paths globally.
- It has lead to fraud and misleads.
- It is not a totally secure network.
- Some people tend to take disadvantages of all the functions it performs.
- Cybercrime has increased due to misusage of the information shared on the internet.
What is Ethernet?
Ethernet is a type of network created for the local area which connects multiple devices and computers. It is a secure way of the network as no third party can have access to information. The connection is made with the help of fiber optic cables and wireless network technology (in the case of a wireless network). There are several types of Ethernet networks which include:
- Fast Ethernet: it is a high-speed network with the capability of receiving data up to 100 Mbps, which is supported by CAT5 Cable or mostly twisted pair.
- Gigabit Ethernet: this type transfer data at a speed of 1000 Mbps. It is an upgrade to Fast Ethernet.
- 10-gigabit Ethernet: this is an even more upgraded version of Gigabit Ethernet, which is supported by CAT7 or CAT6a twisted pair cables along with the fiber optic cables.
- Switch Ethernet: it requires a normal cable and switch and is used for transferring data from one device to another.
- They can be used in cramped areas as it does not require a huge place for setup.
- Allow users to transfer data.
- It is more secure than the internet.
- Can be used to convert IP address.
Main Differences Between Internet and Ethernet
- Internet is something that is connected within the computer and links devices by using the TP/IP protocol, worldwide whereas Ethernet is not connected within but is a primary physical space that is connected in the computer.
- When it comes to security, the internet connects the audience worldwide, and anyone can gain the information; therefore, it is not or less secure, while Ethernet is considered to be more secure due to the absence of an outsider’s interference.
- They both use different modes to communicate. The internet uses point to point network while Ethernet uses a broadcast network for the implementation of communication.
- In the communication process, Ethernet has a limitation of allowance of only one communication at a time while the internet has an advantage that it allows several communications at a time along its different paths.
- Ethernet also has another limitation as it does not have wide coverage and can be used for a small area while the internet has vast coverage worldwide; it is used globally at the same time.
- The most common example of the internet can be a Wide Area Network (WAN), while Ethernet can be a Local Area Network (LAN).
Now, there should not be any confusion between both internet and Ethernet. Internet is more used, as it has more benefits and coverage worldwide than Ethernet, but if some wiring connection is needed, Ethernet is no doubt a better option. The Internet has connected people worldwide has introduced other options, such as email, routers, switching and wireless networks, and many more. It has made life and day-to-day activities simpler and easier. Things that seem to be next to impossible can now be done in seconds or minutes. While it depends on the coverage and the user’s preference what he wants as both of them have their own limitations and advantages.