Java is a computer language created by James Gosling that is used to create a series of programs for various platforms, including smartphones, PCs, and complex games.
MY SQL, MS SQL, Hypersonic SQL, Oracle, JDBC, and Hibernation are just a few of the databases that can be connected to this server-side language.
JDBC and hibernate are both parts of Java, a high-level programming language.
JDBC (Java database connectivity) is a programming interface that connects built programs to databases to store and safeguard data for later use.
Hibernate is a flexible framework for bridging the gap between applications and databases.
- JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) is an API that provides direct, low-level access to databases, while Hibernate is an Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) framework built on top of JDBC.
- Hibernate simplifies database operations by mapping Java objects to database tables, making code more readable and maintainable.
- Developers use Hibernate to avoid writing repetitive SQL queries, saving time and reducing potential errors, whereas JDBC requires manual management of SQL queries and database connections.
JDBC vs Hibernate
The difference between JDBC and Hibernate is that JDBC is a platform-independent, Java database, whereas hibernate is a Java framework that, because it is open-source, makes it easier to connect apps to databases, such as joining programs with JDBC database. Sun Microsystems has released both JDBC and hibernate.
JDBC stands for Java database connectivity, being a cross-platform (can be used on various platforms such as Microsoft and Mac) database is responsible for storing data related to the program for future use.
It was created by the firm Sun Microsystems in 1997 to serve as a database for applications.
Constructing objects is handled by Hibernate, which is based on an open-source framework that anybody can modify.
These objects are used to connect data from various platforms, and the process is known as object-relations mapping. Since this framework eliminates needless coding, the programmer’s workload is reduced.
|Parameters of Comparison
|JDBC, Java database connectivity is the database of java used to bridge developed programs with a database.
|Hibernate is a framework that provide an open-source platform to connect applications and databases.
|JDBC does not support a delay in loading of resources which is known as the process of lazy loading.
|In hibernate, lazy loading of objects is possible.
|JDBC’s performance is underwhelming and unsatisfactory.
|In comparison to JDBC, hibernates presentation is optimum and high.
|JDBC partners with relatival databases, such as My SQL, to improve performance.
|Hibernate employs two types of cache to further improve performance.
|To manage exceptions, the code is written in Try Catch syntax.
|Hibernate can handle all exceptions on its own.
What is JDBC?
The full name of JDBC is Java database connectivity, as the name implies, it’s a Java database to establish a link of application with the database.
In the year 1997, it was declared by Sun Microsystems, an American computer firm. Like My SQL, it can also edit and modify the coding and get the result of queries.
The structure of JDBC consists of three things, applications of Java, drivers of Java, and databases. The application programming interface (API) is the first component of JDBC.
It is advantageous for clients to understand how their database will be accessible. The purpose of the JDBC driver’s second part is to connect a programmed application to a database by issuing queries.
The third component, the database, is vital for keeping data safe from hackers.
Lazy loading( delay in the application’s loading ) is not compatible with JDBC.
The JDBC database is used in combination with other databases, such as MY SQL or Oracle, to improve its performance and provide sufficient performance to customers.
The syntax of try and catch is there to control SQL exceptions when coding in JDBC. It has a set of statements to conduct various queries such as add, remove, and update.
What is Hibernate?
Hibernate is a framework of Java that is interlinked with a database. The property of Hibernate is that the coding done in this software can be edited and modified by both user and the developer.
Hibernate was released in the year 2001 under the license of GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), which permits technological companies to utilize this software.
The four components of hibernate framework are the Java application layer, the hibernate framework layer, the backend API layer, and the database layer.
The Java application layer facilitates the user’s access to the application. The second layer has a framework that makes program coding simpler and easier.
Programmers can access backend services and databases thanks to the presence of both backend API and database layer.
Loading of a program can be scheduled in hibernation, unlike JDBC, which is known as lazy loading or scheduled loading.
There are two levels of caching accessible, the first of which is obligatory and the second of which is optional. These caches exist to improve hibernation speed.
Hibernate can even handle all the exceptions in an application’s coding without the try-and-catch syntax. Therefore, this syntax is not constructive.
Main Differences Between JDBC and Hibernate
- JDBC is a backend data management program created by an American company. However, because it is an open-source platform, hibernates is a framework that assists developers in writing codes to construct programs without difficulty.
- In JDBC, no program may be scheduled to load later, whereas hibernate supports the concept of application loading delays.
- Because JDBC does not provide good performance, therefore used in collaboration with other databases to achieve optimal results. Hibernated, on the other hand, has a superior performance in comparison.
- The developer uses (try and catch) coding syntax to manage errors in JDBC. Hibernate is responsible for handling all exceptions.
- The developer must manage all the transactions in JDBC by running specific instructions in the form of code. While hibernate does not require external transaction management.
Last Updated : 13 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.