Sarees are traditional wear, a custom tradition for the people in the southern region. The clothing material and the threads used for the sarees matter so much.
The sarees are the best way to go on a formal occasion. As women nowadays love wearing sarees.
Sarees are selected after seeing many of the qualities and the material. Kanchipuram and Dharmavaram sarees are one of the best sarees that are found.
- Kanchipuram sarees originate from Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu, featuring rich colors, fine silk, and intricate gold-threaded designs.
- Dharmavaram sarees come from Dharmavaram, Andhra Pradesh, known for their unique weaving technique, vibrant colors, and elegant patterns.
- Kanchipuram sarees are generally more expensive than Dharmavaram sarees due to the use of pure gold threads and more elaborate designs.
Kanchipuram vs Dharmavaram Sarees
Kanchipuram sarees are named after the town of Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu, India. They are made from pure silk and are characterized by their heavy weight and rich texture. Dharmavaram sarees are named after the town of Dharmavaram in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. They are also made from pure silk and are known for their lightweight and lustrous texture.
Kanchipuram sarees are made of pure mulberry silk, and this saree originated in Tamil Nadu. These sarees are worn by bridals or women in particular functions.
Women from Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu prefer this saree for any occasion. This helps them look too good, and has unique threading, and weaving material.
Dharmavaram sarees are made from pure zari and mulberry silks. These sarees also originated in a district of Andhra Pradesh named Anantapur.
Many bridals also wear this saree, and also these sarees cost high. These sarees are made up of high-quality materials that are pure to nature.
These sarees require a high process to make them perfect.
|Parameters of Comparison||Kanchipuram||Dharmavaram Sarees|
|Definition||Refers to saree, which is made from pure zari and mulberry silk and made in Dharmavaram.||The saree originated from a small district in Tamil Nadu known as Kanchipuram.|
|Origin||The saree originated from a small district in Andhra Pradesh known as Anantapur.||The saree is fabricated in Dharmavaram in Andhra Pradesh.|
|Materials Used||The saree is made from silk||The saree is made from pure zari and mulberry silk.|
|Area of Production||The saree is manufactured in Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu||Categorized in the handicraft industry as well as in textile.|
|Industry Type||Categorized in handicraft industry as well as in textile.||Categorized in handicraft industry as well as in textile.|
What is Kanchipuram?
These sarees are made in Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu, Asia, woven from pure mulberry silk. Ladies in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh frequently wear them as event and bridal dresses.
Four sari spinners are employed inside the spinning procedure, with the weaver and her assistant operating from different directions, the body and perimeter weaved separately and then linked together.
The joint is so robust that the boundaries are unable to separate. Many patterns are available inspired by texts and imagery seen in churches, as well as wildlife and environmental aspects.
The significant different borders of saris set them apart. Classical Kanchipuram sari designs include monastery borders, checkers, striping, and flowery.
The Kanchipuram saris’ pattern and motifs were influenced by pictures and scriptures found in Southern India temples, as well as natural elements such as foliage, birds, and creatures.
These are saris with a richly woven munshi depicting Raja Ravi Varma’s artwork and epics from the Hindu epics.
The cost of Kanchipuram saris varies considerably based on the complexity of both the artistry, the colours, the pattern, and the materials used, such as zari (gold thread).
Silk is also noted for its high quality and design, contributing to its popularity.
What is Dharmavaram Saree?
These zari and mulberry silk handwoven textiles are created in Dharmavaram, Anantapur, India. Zari weaves, mulberry silk, washing, freshwater, and acidic dyes are all necessary raw ingredients
there in the creation of the Dharmavaram saree.
Steam is used to simmer cacoons, resulting inside the yard, which will then be coiled to gain the top grade silk.
The fibre is next pulped to eliminate natural tannins, which is done by boiling it with detergent and sodium carbonate.
The sarees are then dyed with acid before being cured on wooden sticks. After then, the program commences with reel yarn unwinding, road sizing, and the woven process starts.
Dharmavaram sarees are known for their twofold colouring of the saree body, which is achieved through the employment of colour combinations in the warp yarns.
Dharmavaram has a solid colour opposing edge and a prominent pallu featuring gold zari border embellishments.
Authentic south silks are used in the majority of Dharmavaram silks. Dharmavaram Sarees, which are most famous as bridal sarees, are indeed a favourite among most South Indian actresses.
Such sarees are known for their luxurious and elegant appearance.
These sarees are the best high-quality sarees also gifted to many women in the south side of India. These sarees have a huge amount of growth in the industrial sector of textiles.
Main Differences Between Kanchipuram and Dharmavaram Sarees
- The main difference between Kanchipuram and Dharmavaram saree is that the marketing value is more for Dharmavaram saree. People are also fond of Kanchipuram sarees,, but in the market, the growth is more for Dharmavaram sarees.
- Quality assurance is also the key difference between them both. The quality is much higher for the Dharamavaram saree as it uses high-quality mulberry silk and zari to form the materials for the saree.
- The other difference is that the peoples liking. Most people are fond of Dharmavaram sarees, as they like them more than Kanchipuram sarees. These sarees are well woollen and specially made in rich silk materials.
- Dharmavaram sarees are made and it also has printing of rich flora and fauna, making them more different from Kanchipuram sarees.
- The cost is very different as Kanchipuram costs more than Dharmavaram sarees. Kanchipuram sarees consist of a rich silver coating of zari which has a huge value in textiles. Hence it costs more than Dharamavaram sarees.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.