A longboard is a type of skateboard that measures between 30 to 40 inches in length and six inches wide. This means it has more surface area and is easier to ride on rough surfaces.
As with skateboards, however, longboards are made of wood or fiberglass. Longboards can also be made from a variety of other materials depending on the length of the board and how much weight it will have to hold.
- Longboards are longer and wider, providing more stability and smoother rides, while skateboards are compact and agile.
- Longboards excel in cruising and downhill racing, whereas skateboards are ideal for tricks and skatepark use.
- Longboards have softer wheels for better grip and control, while skateboards feature harder wheels for increased manoeuvrability.
Longboard vs Skateboard
Longboards are larger and designed for stability and speed, with bigger wheels and trucks, they are used for cruising and transportation. Skateboards are smaller and designed for maneuverability and tricks, with smaller wheels and trucks, and they are used for street and park skating.
Longboards are more expensive because they’re made from thicker materials like fiberglass.
They have more parts as well, so you have to be careful when cleaning them to avoid damaging any important areas.
A typical price for a longboard is around $200-400 as opposed to about $100 for a skateboard.
Though this price difference doesn’t seem like much at first glance, remember that the material used in building each board will cost more money.
Skateboards are shorter and wider than longboards, making them better for maneuvering around obstacles while riding.
However, this comes at the risk of being less stable and having less control over your speed. There is also a greater chance of accidents when riding a skateboard since it’s narrower.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Wheels are large and soft
|Wheels are smaller and harder
|Longer and Thinner
|Typically shorter and wider than longboards
|Wood and fiberglass
|Made of epoxy resin, polyurethane
What is Longboard?
A longboard is a type of skateboard that has more surface area and is easier to ride on rough surfaces. As with skateboards, however, longboards are made of wood or fiberglass.
Longboards can also be made from a variety of other materials depending on the length of the board and how much weight it will have to hold.
Longboards are preferred over skateboards because they are easy to ride and can be used for cruising around town or commuting to work via public transportation.
Additionally, longboards can accommodate larger riders who are not comfortable riding on a regular skateboard.
Longboarding is also getting more popular as a competitive sport, with traveling competitions all over the world.
A longboard differs from traditional skateboards in the sense that they are curved.
The bottom of a longboard is curved towards the front, while the top of a longboard is curved towards the back, making them easier to balance and use for tricks like ollies, kickflips, and heelflips.
Longboarding is becoming popular largely because it’s a low-impact sport that allows people who would not be able to enjoy skating due to their health condition or age to do so.
A longboard has less impact than other types of skateboarding, too, as they don’t use metal trucks which provide added stability compared to wooden ones.
What is Skateboard?
A skateboard is a self-balancing, two-wheeled vehicle that is propelled by the rider moving his or her feet on the bottom of the board.
Skateboards are used for performing various types of stunts and tricks, including slides, grinds, and nose and tail slides.
You can get different types of boards depending on your skill level. Beginners go with a cheap, basic longboard made from wood or fiberglass.
Advanced riders use custom-built high-end longboards for performance and features like roller bearings.
A skateboard is a type of longboard that measures between 26-40 inches in length and four inches wide. This size makes them ideal for downhill skating on smooth surfaces like concrete.
Skateboards were originally designed as toys for kids before becoming more commonplace among adults in the 1970s.
The most common materials longboards are made out of include maple wood, epoxy resin, polyurethane resin, and fiberglass-reinforced nylon (FRN).
Main Differences Between a Longboard and a Skateboard
- Longboards are mostly made of wood and fiberglass, whereas skateboards are mostly made of polyurethane.
- Longboards can be as long as 40 inches, whereas most skateboards are 30 to 33 inches.
- Longboard wheels must be more rigid than skateboard wheels otherwise, the rider will not be able to maintain balance, potentially resulting in a loss of control and an unwanted fall.
- Longboards may have more surface area than a typical skateboard, making it easier to ride on rough terrain without slipping or falling off.
- A longboard is used for cruising rather than performing tricks or riding downhill, which is what a skateboard was originally designed for but can also work if you’re looking for something a little longer to cruise on using its larger surface area.
- A longboard is normally less expensive than a comparable size skateboard and costs between $150 to $300, depending on the length, width, material, and weight of the board
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.