When we work on a computer, data is created, and for storing that data, storage is needed, but if the storage gets full, we need another hard disk for storing our data and keeping it safe.
But there is one more solution that is, we can store data virtually or by creating a guest account on the same computer or laptop with the help of a hypervisor.
Both Microsoft Hyper-V and VirtualBox are types of Hypervisor.
These types of software create a virtual environment for the users where they can operate the same functions and can do anything that they do in their original computer interface, but the data that they will create will get stored on the cloud.
- Hyper-V is a Microsoft-developed virtualization platform for Windows Server and Windows 10.
- VirtualBox is an open-source, cross-platform virtualization solution developed by Oracle.
- Hyper-V provides better performance and integration with Microsoft products, while VirtualBox offers greater compatibility with various operating systems.
Microsoft Hyper-V vs VirtualBox
Hyper-V is optimized for enterprise environments and provides features such as live migration, high availability, and virtual networking and storage. VirtualBox is a free and open-source virtualization software that allows users to run multiple virtual machines simultaneously, support for virtual networking and storage.
Microsoft Hyper-V is a type of virtual system creator and, it helps us to create the interface on the system or the copy of the original interface.
This hypervisor is categorized as type 1 and can also be referred to as a ‘bare-metal’ hypervisor. Microsoft Hyper-V can be launched directly on the machine or physical hardware.
VirtualBox is installed in the system and, it is categorized as a hypervisor of the type-2 category. It is software that is first downloaded with the help of the internet then installed in the required system.
VirtualBox is mainly created for end-user systems and contains varieties of third-party applications.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Microsoft Hyper-V does not encourage operations on systems other than Microsoft systems or windows operating systems.
|VirtualBox supports a multiplatform environment that is it can be operated on any operating system smoothly.
|Microsoft Hyper-V is categorized as Type-1 as it is more secure because it runs on its OS.
|VirtualBox is classified as Type-2 as it is hosted hypervisor and best for client use.
|Microsoft Hyper-V provides more security because there is no need for third-party program usages.
|VirtualBox is less secure because if the base system gets an error, the entire hypervisor gets affected.
|Speed and Smoothness
|Microsoft Hyper-V runs at a high speed and is very smooth while doing any operations.
|VirtualBox has comparatively less speed because of the extra overhead software.
|Microsoft Hyper-V does not include a built-in file sharing function because of less exposure.
|VirtualBox includes file-sharing functions and gets easily connected to other systems.
What is Microsoft Hyper-V?
Microsoft Hyper-V was launched in 2008 by team Microsoft and, it works as an emulator for windows supporting operating systems.
This hypervisor creates a virtual interface on 64-bit Windows systems and, this virtual interface works as the actual windows running operating systems.
This Hypervisor is free from any charges but can only be used with CLI of Windows. It creates a guest operating system and makes partitions in the actual system.
And the guest accounts created are supervised by a parent account or the main user account in the actual system.
The guest accounts created do not have access to the original hardware system and, this makes the Microsoft Hyper-V a fully secured hypervisor when compared to the VirtualBox hypervisor.
What is VirtualBox?
VirtualBox was originally designed by Innotek, but later it was delivered to sun Microsystems and was launched in the year 2008. It can be executed on any operating system like Linux, macOS, etc.
It also manages and supports all the functions on an existing system with a virtual interface using any hypervisor.
VirtualBox is made by using C++, Python, and x86 assembly languages and can be operated only on 64-bit running operating systems.
This hypervisor divides a system into host and guest, where the host is the supervisor of the guest accounts created and has all the main access to the system.
VirtualBox has several features like multiple screen generations, no requirement of hardware virtualization, file sharing between any guest account on any system, and a compatible environment for every virtual account created, etc.
Mian Differences Between Microsoft Hyper-V and VirtualBox
- Microsoft Hyper-V server is maintained and controlled by PowerShell, a command-line interface created by windows. On the other hand, VirtualBox uses VBoxManage as a command-line tool, and with the help of this tool, several operations are done in the host machine.
- VirtualBox supports a multiplatform environment that is it can be operated on any operating system smoothly. Whereas Microsoft Hyper-V does not encourage operations on systems other than Microsoft systems or, windows operating systems.
- Microsoft Hyper-V runs at high speed and is very smooth while doing any operations and, due to its familiar architecture, anyone can use it. While VirtualBox has comparatively less speed because of the extra overhead software.
- VirtualBox is less secure because if the main system gets an error, the entire hypervisor gets affected and can easily get hacked due to system independence. Whereas Microsoft Hyper-V provides more security because there is no need for third-party program usages.
- Microsoft Hyper-V supports only hardware virtualization where the connection is created between the physical hardware and the software of the particular system. While VirtualBox supports both hardware and software virtualization technology.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.