Developers use Node.js and Java for different applications and write them using different languages. The Node.js platform was established by Ryan Dahl, an American developer, in 2009. On the other hand, Java was created by James Gosling.
- Node.js is ideal for developing server-side web applications that require high scalability, whereas Java is better suited for building complex enterprise-level applications that require multi-threading and high performance.
- Node.js is a single-threaded language that utilizes non-blocking I/O to handle multiple client requests simultaneously. In contrast, Java is a multi-threaded language that relies on thread management to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
Node.js vs Java
James Gosling of Sun Microsystems created Java. The JDK (Java Development Kit) is a package that includes all the components needed to run a Java application.
The most recent version is Java 10, released in March 2018. Its frameworks include Hibernate, Struts, JSF, etc.
|Parameters of Comparison||Node.js||Java|
|Application Type||Scalable server-side applications||It has created highly complex applications.|
|Application||It is used for applications that modify real-time data.||It is used for applications that create objects and manage data.|
|Frameworks||Express.js, Partial.js, and Sails.js||JSF, Hibernate, Struts, etc.|
|Installation||You need to install an npm and an archive file on a system.||You need to install JDK (Java Development Kit).|
|Scope||Developers utilize it on the client and server sides.||It is used to dominate server-side interaction.|
|Project||It is suitable for smaller-sized projects.||It is suitable for more complex projects that are web-based.|
|Usage||It is useful for scalable and faster application requirements.||It is useful for web applications, messaging, highly concurrent applications, etc.|
What is Node.js?
The Node.js platform was established by Ryan Dahl, an American developer, in 2009. While the developers extensively used the “one thread for each connection” idea, Dahl’s new platform was centred on events. The system’s main goal was to create scalable network servers.
Node JS has many server-side features; for example, a developer can do various things like listening, accessing the database directly from the computer, and listening to network traffic.
However, these frameworks may be used depending on the application type. Node.js has the advantage of being able to connect to devices via APIs as well as libraries built in other languages.
What is Java?
James Gosling created Java at Sun Microsystems, and Oracle later acquired it. It is an object-oriented programming language. The Java Development Kit (JDK) contains the entirety of Java and is sufficient to run any Java program.
It converts code into byte code, which can be run on any machine with Java installed, regardless of the operating system. Java has a large community and allows networking and graphical user interfaces.
Many games are written in Java and are widely utilized. Several frameworks, such as Spring on the server side, are built on Java for web development. Its syntax is majorly derived from C++.
Java has a lot of concurrencies, networking, and graphical user interface capability (Graphic User Interface). The Java platform is used to create a wide range of frameworks.
Based on the Java platform, today’s online development scene is dominated by Spring. The Java compiler converts a Java source program into bytecode, which can be executed on any operating system.
The operating system needs to have a compatible Java Runtime Environment. One of its most significant advantages is that the source code written in java is capable of running on any platform.
Main Differences Between Node.js and Java
- Node.js is used for scalable server-side applications, and Java has created highly complex applications.
- Node.js can create applications that modify real-time data, and Java is used for applications that create objects and manage data.
- Node.js includes frameworks like Express.js, Partial.js, and Sails.js, whereas Java includes frameworks like JSF, Hibernate, Struts, etc.
- Node.js requires an npm and an archive file to be installed on the system, and for Java, you need to install a Java Development Kit.
- Developers can use Node.js on the client and server side, and Java can be used to dominate server-side interaction.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.