Panther and Puma both are considered to be one of the largest cats in the world. They both belong to the same Felidae family and also belong to the same kingdom Animalia. They vary from each other in their size, color, features, hunting technique, prey, habitat, etc.
Panthers have their origin from the Asia and the Europe. On the other hand, Puma have their origin from the America.
The difference between Panther and Puma is that panther is a word referring to the animals of the genus Panthera that includes lion, tiger, jaguar , leopard etc whereas Puma refers to the animals belonging to the genus Puma.
Comparison Table Between Panther and Puma
|Parameters of Comparison||Panther||Puma|
|Definition||Panther is one of the largest cat species in the world.||Puma is the largest and the wildest cat among all the cat types.|
|Origin of the word||The word Panther is derived from the Latin panthera that means the “large spotted cat”||The word Puma is the Spanish puma derived from the Quecha language of Peru.|
|Origin||Have the origin from Asia and Africa.||Have the origin from America.|
|Fur Color||Fur color could be black or white, generally it is black.||Fur color could be brown-yellow or grey-red.|
|Habitat||Their habitat includes forest, swampland and the grasslands.||Their habitat is forests and the rocky mountains.|
|Build||Panther has a small head with strong jaws and emerald green eyes. The back legs are slightly more large and strong than those at the front.||Puma has a large, muscular and short legs. They have a small but long skull.|
|Prey||Panthers hunt down animals such as deer, warthogs, wild boar, tapir and antelope along with smaller birds and rabbits.||Puma hunt down animals such as deer, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, rabbits and skunks.|
What is Panther
Panther is one of the largest felines in the world that can roar and can easily adapt to a variety of habitants all around the world. They have their native to Asia and Africa.
The word Panther refers to the animal genus Panthera that includes many big cats such as lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard and many more.
Panther refers to the leopards and jaguars having all black coats because of the excess of a pigment called melanin. A panther could be any of these: a black jaguar, a black leopard and a black Florida panther.
Panther is a powerful, carnivore animal that are black due to a mutation in their chromosomes. There are white panthers as well that are known as albino panthers. Their white color is because of the albinism or chinchilla mutation.
A normal adult panther has a length of about 6 to 7.2 feet, height at the shoulder lengths from about 24 to 28 inches and weighs around 100 to 160 pounds. They do not have spots on their body or tail but do have a characteristic shiny dark fur.
What is Puma
Puma is also known as cougar, mountain lion, catamounts and by a variety of other local names. They have their native to the America. This animal could be easily found in the mountains ranging from southern Canada to the tip of South America.
Puma is a carnivore animal who is the most active at night. It is the largest of the small cats. It loves to hunt a variety of animals such as moose, deer, cattle, horses, rodents and many more. They have a characteristic black ring around their nose.
The scientific name of the Puma is the Felis concolor that means the “cat of one color”. These cats lack the markings on their fur absent according to the meaning of their scientific name. The word Puma refers to the genus Puma.
Puma bites the back of the neck, head or throat while killing. Some puncture marks made because of their claws can be easily seen on the sides and underside of their prey.
A normal adult puma has a length of about 2.4 meters, has a height of somewhere between 60 – 76 cm at the shoulder and has a weight around 53 – 72 kilograms.
Main Differences Between Panther and Puma
- Panther is one of the largest cats known in the world whereas Puma is the wildest and the largest cat breed among all the cat types.
- Panther originated in the Asia and the Europe whereas Puma originated in the America.
- Panther can be found in the Latin America, Asia and Africa whereas Puma could be found in the West coast of Canada, in the western half of the United States, including Alaska and Florida and most of the Central and South America.
- Panthers have strong jaws and have larger and stronger back legs as compared to the front legs whereas Puma have large, muscular and short legs.
- Panthers can easily roar whereas Puma can growl, hiss, screech and purr but never roar.
- Panthers love to hunt animals such as Deer, Warthogs, Wild Boar, Tapir and Antelope along with smaller species like birds and rabbits. On the other hand, Puma hunt down animals such as deer, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, rabbits and skunks.
- Panthers have a length somewhere between 5.9 to 7.5 feet whereas Puma can go up to 9 feet long but have an average length somewhere between 6 to 8 feet.
- Panthers can have weight somewhere between 30 to 72 kg whereas Puma can have weight somewhere between 29 to 90 kg.
Panther and Puma both are the members of Felidae family. They both belong to the same kingdom Animalia and same Felidae family. Both of the species differ from each other in terms of their size, color, features and many other things.
The word panther is used for the animals belonging to the genus Panthera including big cats such as tiger, lion, jaguar and leopard. On the other hand, the word puma refers to the genus Puma.
Having different origins, both the Panthers and Puma are considered to be one of the important and largest members of the cat family. They are one of the wildest animals in the big cat family in the world.