The one who loves to read books, novels, magazines, etc., is a book collector or an emerging writer who knows the difference between the physical formats of the books in which they are published. The different physical format of the book comes in different shapes and sizes, the quality of the paper, the difference in their binding, the hardcover.
Paperback vs Mass Paperback
The difference between Paperback and Mass Paperback is that the Paperback edition books are printed on the highest quality paper, and the shape, size, and illustrations of the book are the same as that of the hardcover edition. While comparatively, on the other hand, the Mass Paperback edition books are printed on very low-quality paper that deteriorates with time. Also, the shape and size of the mass paperback edition books are small.
Paperback editions are books that are also known as the softcover or softback. The books that are published under the paperback edition are often held by the glue does not like (hardcover in which the inner pages are bound by the stitches and staples). The paperback editions of the book are published by the publishers in a low-cost format.
Mass Paperback are the books that are printed at a very low-grade quality of the paper. The books with the cheap quality of paper get deteriorate with time. The books that are not sold in the market can be stripped out. That is, the cover of the book is stripped, and sometimes the first few pages of the book may also be stripped out, and the rest of the book is recycled.
Comparison Table Between Paperback and Mass Paperback
|Parameters of Comparison||Paperback||Mass Paperback|
|Size of Page||Large||Smaller around 2 inches|
|Quality||The quality of the pages used in the paperback edition is very good.||The quality of the cover page and the inner pages are very poor compared to paperback edition books.|
|Bar code Reading||The bar code used by paperback editions is EAN code.||The bar code used by the mass paperback editions is UPC.|
|Font Size||The font size is large and fewer words are fitted on a page.||The font size is small and thus more words are fitted on the page.|
|Spacing||More spacing between the words||Less spacing between the words|
|Availability||They can be found in bookstores or libraries as they are not easily accessible to the readers.||They can be found in retail stores, gift shops, or convenience stores as they are easily accessible to the readers.|
What is Paperback?
Paperback editions are books that are also known to be softcover or softback. Also, they can be referred to as the ‘trade paperback’’. The books that are published under the paperback editions are the copy of the same title book that are already printed in the hardcover versions. Or they can be individually printed to lower the cost of the books. Despite being the cheaper version of the hardcover, the size, pages, quality of the paper, etc., are quite similar to that.
The size of the paperback edition book is smaller than that of hardcover books or similar to them that is about (5.5’’ × 8.5’’ or 6’’ × 9’’). The quality of the pages used for publishing the paperback edition is very good. The font size used is also largely because of which there is more spacing between the words and contains a greater number of pages. The pages in the books are intact by the glue, and they can be easily found by the readers in book stores and libraries.
What is Mass Paperback?
Mass Paperback edition books are the ones that are the smaller version of the paperback editions. In simple terms, the same title books are published on paper that is of very low quality, and the page of the book gets discolored or deteriorates with time. These books are quite small in size and can be kept handy, small bags or in a pocket. The approximate size of the mass paperback edition books is about 4’’ × 7’’.
The mass paperback edition books are very cheaper because of the low quality of being used. The books come with small font sizes and thus creating less spacing between the words. Also, because of the smaller font size, a single page accommodates a large number of words, ultimately resulting in a smaller number of pages. The books can be stripped and can also be recycled after. These books are easily available to readers in convenience stores, retail shops, gift shops, etc.
Main Differences Between Paperback and Mass Paperback
- The paperback edition books are quite large in size while comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition books are smaller in size, approximately about 2 inches small.
- The paperback edition books are quite high in price while comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition books are much lower in price.
- The paperback edition books use very high quality of paper for the covers and the inlet pages while comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition books use very cheap quality of the paper for their inside pages.
- The paperback edition books use the different bar code that is EAN code, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition books use another bar code that is UPC code.
- The paperback edition books use a very large font size which is why fewer words are present on the page, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition uses a very small size font which is why there are more words present on the page.
- The paperback edition of the books uses large size font because of which the spacing between the words is very large, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition of the books uses a small size font because of which the spacing between the words is very small.
- The paperback edition books are easily available for the readers in the book stores or in the library, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the mass paperback edition books are easily available on the drugstore, retail shops, gift shops, etc.
Book lovers, book collectors, and book writers love to buy or burrow new books for reading purposes, collecting them. There are many physical formats in which a book is published and is released on the market. Sometimes publishers publish a new book in paperback format. They are cheaper than the hardcover books, and the pages of the books are intact by the glue. The paperback edition books are quite large in size, and the price of the books is higher, whereas on the other hand, the mass paperback edition books are smaller in size, and the price of the book is also low.