A lot of chemicals are found in cosmetics that are highly dangerous for the skin. However, some chemicals are there which are skin-friendly.
Retinol, Retinoid and Retinoic acid are some of the names of skin-friendly chemicals. However, Retinoid and Retinol are used interchangeably often.
These two chemicals are highly popular when the manufacture of food supplements and skincare products are taken into consideration.
Retinol vs Retinoid
The difference between Retinol and Retinoid is that The active form of retinoic acid is normally found in very low concentrations, ranging from 0.1 to 1%, in products created with the help of the chemical Retinol.
However, on the contrary, Retinoids contain a substantially larger percentage of the active form of retinoic acid than Retinol does.
Retinoid, which also includes retinol, is regarded to be one of the most harmful chemical classes.
Retinol is a kind of Retinoid, which is an umbrella chemical molecule.
As a result, it’s only a small portion of a big family.
Because retinol products include a low concentration of retinoic acid, the time it takes for retinol-containing products to respond is longer, resulting in a delayed reaction time.
Three to six months of application is required to observe greater outcomes.
Because certain retinol products are over-the-counter, the FDA, or Food and Drug Administration, has a difficult time approving them.
Retinoid products have a faster reaction time because they include larger amounts of retinoic acid. The skin, on the other hand, may get irritated.
The Food and Drug Administration often approves retinoid products because they are prescription medications.
Because retinoid is such a delicate and dangerous substance, it can only be purchased with a prescription.
|Parameters of Comparison||Retinol||Retinoid|
|Form||In combination form||In pure form|
|How to buy||From any general store||With the help of prescription|
|Type of skin||Sensitive||Insensitive|
|Active Retinoic acid||Concentration is low||Concentration is high|
|Time for reaction||3 months- 6 months||Comparatively much faster than retinol|
|Approval||Isn’t approved by FDA||Approved by FDA|
What is Retinol?
Retinol is a chemical molecule that belongs to the Retinoid family. As a result, it’s merely a minor member of a huge family.
Due to the low concentration of retinoic acid in retinol products, the time it takes for retinol products to respond is longer, resulting in a delayed reaction time.
Three to six months of application is necessary to achieve greater outcomes.
Moreover, because some retinol products are over-the-counter (OTC), FDA approval is difficult. To avoid skin sensitivity, retinol treatments are often combined with other Beauty ingredients.
Retinol is indicated for people who have sensitive skin.
As a result of the lower retinoic acid concentration, products containing this chemical should have fewer negative effects.
A prescription is not required to purchase any retinol products, which include creams and serums.
The active form of retinoic acid is normally found in very low concentrations, ranging from 0.1 to 1%, in the products made from the chemical Retinol.
What is Retinoid?
Retinoid, which also includes retinol, is regarded as one of the most harmful chemical groups.
Because retinoids include larger quantities of retinoic acid, the time it takes for results to appear in Retinoid products is shorter, resulting in a faster reaction time.
The skin, on the other hand, may be irritated. Retinoids include a substantially higher percentage of the active form of retinoic acid than Retinol.
The Food and Drug Administration normally approves retinoid products because they are prescription medications.
Due to the reason that retinoid is a highly sensitive and toxic drug, it can only be purchased with a prescription.
Retinoid chemicals are typically suggested for persons with less sensitive skin so that it does not become irritated readily.
Because retinoid treatments are frequently sold in raw or pure form, they can cause severe skin irritation.
Main Differences Between Retinol and Retinoid
- The products which are formed with the help of the chemical called Retinol usually constitute the active form of retinoic acid in very less concentration, i.e., ranging in 0.1-1 per cent. Whereas the percentage of the active form of retinoic acid that is found in Retinoids is significantly much higher than it is found in Retinol.
- Retinol products are usually manufactured as combinations with various other Beauty components to minimise irritation on the skin. On the other hand, Retinoid products usually come in raw or pure form. Thus, they can cause high irritation to the skin.
- Retinol is a type of umbrella chemical compound, Retinoid. Thus, it’s just a small part of a large family. On the other hand, Retinoid is considered one of the largest classes of dangerous chemicals, which also includes retinol.
- To buy any retinol products, which are available in various Beauty products like creams and serum, does not require a prescription. On the other hand, as retinoid is a highly sensitive and dangerous chemical, therefore they can be bought only with the help of a prescription.
- As retinol products constitute very little concentration of retinoic acid, the time is taken for products containing retinol to show reaction is more. Thus it possesses a slower reaction time. To see better results, three to six months of application is required. On the other hand, As retinoids contain retinoic acid in higher concentrations, the time taken for showing results in the case of Retinoid products is less. Thus it possesses a faster reaction time. However, the skin might feel irritation as well.
- For sensitive skin types, the use of Retinol is recommended. As the products containing this chemical are expected to show lesser side effects due to lower retinoic acid concentration. On the other hand, Retinoid chemicals are usually prescribed for those people who possess less sensitive skin so that the skin doesn’t get easily irritated.
- Retinol products do not get easily approved by FDA, the Food and Drug Administration as some of the products are OTC. On the other hand, as retinoid products are prescriptions drugs, they usually get approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️