Users can control their playlists, listen to news updates, and control smart devices through the voice control mechanism of the Sonos One model.
Table of Contents
However, the Sonos One SL model was designed to cater to the privacy concerns of the customer. This ideation process led to the elimination of the built-in voice assistants featured in the Sonos One model.
Voice command processing is facilitated by an array of 6 microphones in the Sonos One model. Alternatively, there are no microphones on the Sonos One SL model as it is a smart speaker without voice control.
Sonos One vs Sonos One SL
The difference between the Sonos One and Sonos One SL models is that the former smart speaker is equipped with an in-built voice control feature which is absent from the latter model’s interface. Voice assistants like Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant are built into the Sonos One model. However, the Sonos One SL variant was manufactured and marketed as a model without the coveted voice command controls.
|Parameters of comparison||Sonos One||Sonos One SL|
|Voice Control||The Sonos One model features two in-built voice assistants. Voice control through both Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant can be used on the device.||The Sonos One SL smart speaker is not equipped with the popular voice control feature.|
|Microphones||The Sonos One model has an array of 6 microphones.||The Sonos One SL model is not equipped with microphones.|
|Top Panel||The top panel has a microphone icon.||The top panel of a Sonos One SL model does not feature a microphone icon.|
|Launch Year||The Sonos One model was launched in 2017.||The Sonos One SL model was launched in 2019.|
|Price||This model is costlier than the Sonos One model as it is endowed with the coveted voice control mechanism.||This model is priced at a relatively lower level due to the absence of the voice control feature.|
What is Sonos One?
The Sonos One model was launched in 2017 as a revolutionary smart speaker that supported multiple voice assistants. The USP of this product was the coveted in-built Alexa and Google Assistant voice command integration.
The design of the Sonos One model is much too similar to the now discontinued Sonos Play: 1 model. The top of this smart speaker features a touch-sensitive panel consisting of play/pause buttons.
As this model is equipped with an array of 6 microphones, the top panel also features a microphone button that is used to engage or disengage the microphones.
The Sonos One model also features Apple AirPlay 2 support, making integration quite simple for iOS users. The Sonos app makes installing the smart speaker genuinely easy. The sound quality of the device is commendable. It has been hailed as the best smart speaker in the market.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
||Sonos One (Gen 2) Two Room Set Voice Controlled Smart Speaker with Amazon Alexa Built In (White)||Check Price on Amazon|
What is Sonos One SL?
The most recent addition to Sonos’ line of smart speakers is the updated Sonos One SL model. This version was released in 2019. While retaining most of the features of the original One model, the most notable difference is that this smart speaker does not feature voice control.
The One SL model is not equipped with microphones as the voice assistant feature is absent. The decision to exclude a built-in voice navigation option was indeed a conscious one as the company wanted to cater to the segment of consumers concerned about the myriad data privacy issues.
Like the Sonos One version, the One SL model also connects to the user’s Wi-Fi and can be effectively controlled through the updated Sonos app. The elimination of this feature reduces the price of the product to a certain extent, making the One SL model an affordable smart speaker.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|Sonos One SL - Microphone-Free Smart Speaker – Black||Check Price on Amazon|
Main Differences Between Sonos One and Sonos One SL
- The main difference between the Sonos One and Sonos One SL model is that the former model is equipped with two innate voice control mechanisms, while the latter does not support voice control. Both Amazon’s voice assistance Alexa and Google Assistant is built into the Sonos One interface. voice control has been explicitly eliminated from the Sonos One SL model for the most privacy-oriented user.
- The Sonos One model was launched in 2017, while the Sonos One SL model was released in 2019.
- The two models differ in terms of their market price points of sales. The Sonos One model is relatively pricier than the cost-effective Sonos One SL model. The additional built-in assistance feature is responsible for enhancing the market price of the former variant.
- The Sonos One SL model does not have an in-built microphone, while the Sonos One model is equipped with a built-in array of 6 microphones.
- As microphones have been eliminated from the Sonos One SL model, the microphone button is missing from the top panel. The Sonos One model has a microphone button on the panel to help the user enable or disable the microphone function of the smart speaker.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Last update on 2022-12-03 / Amazon Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API