With more and more people availing of internet services, companies and business owners are introducing their products and services to the digital space to reach the broadest range of audience.
Accordingly, they are utilising digital mediums like websites, web pages, search engines, emails, mobile applications, social media platforms and many more to promote their brand products and services.
The aim is not only to reach but also to pervade the digital life of their target audience with their brand name.
As it follows, Digital Marketing is a marketing method employed by companies and business owners for the publicity and advertisement of their services and products.
It essentially entails the utilisation of a wide range of digital channels like websites, applications, emails, and others to reach and pervade the everyday online life of the target consumers.
How does Digital Marketing work?
First of all, it is crucial to note that digital marketing may avail of internet services. However, it is not same as internet marketing.
Internet marketing entails promotion through or on the internet only. In contrast, digital marketing employs various digital mediums like subway platforms, mobile devices, mobile applications or a simple video game.
Two significant characteristics that essentially defines digital marketing include:
- Targeting a particular section of the consumer base.
- Two-way communication between the advertisers (sources) and the consumers (receivers).
To enunciate it more elaborately, advertisers or sources study consumer or receiver behaviour and segregate them into different segments. Subsequently, they target these well-defined segments or receivers with their ads to encourage them to subscribe to their services and products.
For example, during festive seasons fashion & retail companies tend to come with a variety of discount offers to encourage people to purchase their services and products as they know this is the time when people, especially the youngsters and women of the house will shop a lot. Correspondingly, they target their receivers with email ads, search result ads, messages in social media platforms frequently visited by them and the like.
Channels of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing as a marketing method employs the following channels to promote a company’s services and products.
- Content Marketing: It entails generating suitable content for brand promotion, lead collection, traffic and customer growth. Blogs, podcasts, ebooks, webinars and online courses are the primary mediums of this kind of marketing.
- Website Marketing: It is the primary channel of digital marketing. However, it is dependent on other digital marketing strategies to make a company’s online presence felt by the internet scrollers.
- PPC (Pay-Per-Click) Advertising: It allows a company to reach its consumer base via paid advertisements on various online platforms like Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Bing and the like. Google and Facebook ads are some of the most favoured paid ad platforms.
- Email Marketing: Companies use emails to interact with their potential customers by providing discounts, notifications of various events and links to their websites.
- SMS Messaging: Companies also send SMS messages to interact and notify their consumers regarding their products, events and discounts.
- Social Media Marketing: With so many people using social media platforms, companies target these spaces to promote their brand and collect leads.
- Video Marketing: These days, online video-sharing platforms like Youtube have become very popular. People do not want to purchase any service and product unless they have seen its reviews by independent vloggers. As such, it has become almost indispensable for companies to establish a prominent presence in these platforms.
- Affiliate Marketing: Companies also roll out affiliate programs and pay affiliate marketers to promote and sell their services and products in different digital platforms.
Advantages of Digital Marketing
The following are the advantages of digital marketing over other marketing methods:
- Wider reach: Digital marketing allows business owners and companies to trace and reach new customers and markets with meagre investment.
- Direct interaction with a consumer base: Two-way interaction is an essential feature of digital marketing. This characteristic of digital marketing allows company owners to connect to their customers directly and cater to their needs and wants.
- Cost-effective: Digital Marketing allows companies to reach diverse consumer bases with an investment that is far less than traditional marketing methods.
- Enhancement conversion rate: Unlike other marketing methods, digital marketing allows potential customers to purchase a product or service with just a few clicks.
- Trackable Outcomes: With metrics like web analytics and the like, digital marketing outcomes are easy to measure.
Disadvantages of Digital Marketing
Just like all other marketing methods, digital marketing has its limitations. These include:
- Requires skilled personnel: Digital marketing is profoundly trends and technology-dependent. Consequently, highly skilled personnel with appropriate knowledge and the rigour to remain updated is needed.
- Time-consuming: Digital marketing involves tasks like creating and optimising content which requires a significant amount of time and constant engagement.
- High level of competition: Digital marketing provides a company global reach which also implies global competition. Companies need to be extremely innovative and practical in the face of such a tough competition.
- Privacy and security issues: Digital marketing essentially depends on consumer information which entails a vast range of legal and regulatory matters. Compliance with digital and privacy laws is necessary for a company to earn credibility and reputation.
- Swift tarnishing of brand name: Data flows a lot faster in digital space. Consequently, a single piece of negative feedback can tarnish a brand name within minutes.
Table of Contents